Me, Skellige and Gwent

+
Let me introduce you first to my way to Gwent. It might help understanding my thoughts.

As a big fan of the TES series, I wasn't very excited, when a friend recommended a game called The Witcher 2. No open world, no freedom of choice for the protagonist, no extensive "learning by doing". Yet, I bought it and played.

And it was great. More of an adventure than an RPG, but the deep story and detailed characters really got me. For reasons not interesting enough to be mentioned, I then had a long pause from gaming. Only last year was it, that I finally bought The Witcher 3. I'm not even done with it (probably 65%), but 120 hours of playtime so far prove that I love it. The only thing that disappointed me was the game in a game, Gwint. Too simple to really be enjoyable.

I heard of Gwent being developed as a MP CCG, but first screenshots were almost exactly like Gwint, and so I didn't really think of it as a game I would enjoy. Then, a few months ago, I saw an ad. And it got my attention. A so much better game board, so much better designed cards (graphically), so much more attracting overall. And so I downloaded it and started.

The tutorial was fun, but it was only afterwards that I learned how bad it was in actually teaching how to play. I started gathering points and scraps and slowly built my first deck. I didn't mind losing, as I assumed it would be getting much better, the better my cards will get.

But lately, I played less and less (over 500 hours in the first 3 months, just 75 since then). Thinking about the reasons for this, it finally came to me that the innocence is gone. Innocence? Yes, the free-from-any-informations type of playing. I was a big fan of Skellige right from the start. I just love the pirate and carelessly fighting warriors theme. Nothing more. I didn't know about balancing issues, the hate towards Skellige as a strong faction or the sometimes toxic behavior on the forums. I just love pirates and warriors (I live next to places where Vikings used to live).

But over the months I became influenced by all the hate. I never played any netdecks, I always explored the possibilities by myself. That also means a not as powerful deck. Until today I refuse to play netdecks. Yet, I was always accused of being a bad person for playing and loving Skellige. Priest, Vabjorn, Dagur, Hjalmar, Kambi, Harald, Coral, Blueboy, Olaf, Vildkaarl, Sigvald, Knut, Greatsword, Marauder, Totem, the discard mechanic. There's literally no card that wasn't at some point called op and unfair. Over and over again cards were hated.

And I? Without me really noticing it, I started building decks without cards that were hated so much. From the list above you can imagine how difficult that has become. Also, I'm of course constantly losing way more than I win. And there's more to it. The fact that (not only for Skellige but for all factions) only one specific deck per leader really works somehow, while everything else fails, is a big issue of Gwent. I want to collect cards, explore them, build a deck that supports my way of playing. What I don't want is to have a look at Youtube and rebuilt the one deck that is successful. That's just boring and silly.

When I play other factions, I feel much more confident. And I am much more successful. It's just crazy how versatile NG is! There's almost no deck you couldn't compete with. The seize mechanic to get the opponent's units and get them to play for you is awesome. A ST trap deck or engine deck is so strong that you only lose to decks with even stronger engines. The MO "fill the board with cheap 1 str re-appearing units, then boost them all to 10 or more strength" deck is just pure fun to play. NR machine decks with so many order units that you can annoy any opponent and still get at least Foltest's pride to work? So entertaining.

Then Skellige. "Oh no, lost again. But SK is said to be op. So I am a stupid, bad player. Not smart enough to even win with an op faction." The pressure is so high, since everyone hates you for playing SK, you can see it from less GGs when playing SK, even after you lost. "Hmm, this would be a nice combo. Oh, no that's a card, people not playing Skellige just hate. Better leave it out" I cut myself short of options, just to be hated a little less. I may be the only SK player without any priest in any of my decks, for example.

I'm sick of it.

Innocence gone, fun gone, Gwent not versatile enough. And if the only way to get back the fun and joy of the early days is by playing a deck, everybody else plays as well, so be it. I'm now heading over to Youtube and copying the most op SK deck that guarantees me more wins.

Until of course I'm bored by it. Which will happen sooner rather than later. And then?

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Update: Within 24 hours, things have changed dramatically. I still haven't used a netdeck, but I set myself free from restrictions and put whatever card I wanted into my Eist deck. That was the problem child #1, followed by Arnjolf. I can say with joy, that the changes resulted in 16 won matches within 24 hours. Eist is now just as good as my ST, MO and NG decks, which is a tad bit over 50% winrate.

I feel so much better now.

• RED Point
Dear diary,
I reached one-digit ranks for the first time! Yes, since last Wednesday -less than a week- and with not more than 10-12 matches daily, I made it from 18 to 9!

So that's what I was missing the whole time. All the fun, when a strategy works. All the losses that don't frustrate you, because you win slightly more than you lose. Skellige is like a whole new faction for me. Can you believe that above mentioned success was reached with Eist? Yep, Eist of all Skellige leaders. My deck is quite interesting, but it fails against heavy (and I mean really heavy) engine decks and a certain Monster deck. In all other cases it's really 50:50.

9. 9! 9!!! What will lie ahead of me? Which wonders of Gwent will await me? Will there be Nemesis-decks that will kill me 2:0 dozens of times? Or will I be able to enjoy the wonders of the one digit ranks?

Well, yes, dear diary, I know that rank 9 is nothing, when you consider, how many people are playing this game. But can't you just shut up for a moment to let me enjoy my Gwent defloration? And maybe even cheer me up? Thanks! That's too kind. "King of Gwent", you say? Well, if you say so...

tulamide you are obviously an awesome card player and I see your point there, like all games if you play too much you will get tired of it and you are to the point that everything is the same and repetitive.
Here is what GWENT need to do for you, they need to create "random" challange mode where both parties pick a faction and both get random cards from pool of cards and then you have to survive with what you are given. This way, people have to improvise and be really creative to win with the cards that is handed to them.

Last edited:
Congratulations for your success! Climbing ranks after a long losing streak is highly satisfactory. Go now for ranks 5-1!!

But remember that from rank 7 you won´t have winning streak rewards any longer... :( Try hard and good luck!

rrc

Forum veteran
Dear @tulamide, Congratulations for your one-digit rank! I know that great feeling of achieving Rank 9 for the first time. Try to get to Rank 7 where you get +5 RP at the end of the season.

About people hating YOU for playing SK, I don't think anyone hates you or the person playing SK. They may hate SK as the faction or Gwent as a game to have unbalanced mechanics, but not the players who play SK. Those players who don't GG when you play SK, it may be that they never GG to any one playing any faction and irrespective of whether they win or lose. And if someone hates the player playing a faction, to hell with them :)

No matter how much I hate SK, I always recommend new players to play SK as it is the strongest faction. I believe it is the easiest for new players and they can win more with SK than any other factions. But the fact that SK has made many people to quit Gwent is true. Even mature respected pro players question some of SK's recent buffs and can't understand why CDPR had to do it. In some discussions in their tweet people have mentioned that they had quit Gwent due to SK. Even yesterday, just yesterday, WatchFlake (another pro streamer and a respected member in the community, who casted last Gwent tournament) stopped his stream due to the fact that he kept facing SK again and again and it gave him a disgusted feeling. He even mentioned that he will try to play Gwent once the expansion hits if he gets over the sour feeling he got playing against SK.

Even I have stopped playing ranked and classic-casual because it is just too tiring and I am only playing Seasonal and that too my frequency of playing has reduced a lot. Because from Rank 6 to Rank 5 if I have to pass, I always get an SK as the gate keeper. With every other factions, I have a feeling that I may win that or I might have won if I had played properly. But with SK, I have no confidence and that it is almost guaranteed defeat and even if I win, it is because of immense luck or the opponent made huge mistakes.

All said and done, forget about the SK hate and all those things. It is on the faction/game/developers and not the players who play it. Build a deck which you like and want to play and have fun. Good Luck for reaching Rank 7.

Thank you so much, @rrc !

Believe it or not, but I too know that feeling of lost confidence, when playing with Eist. It's because there's one specific Monster deck that I can't compete with. After each loss I think of the rounds and how I played what and when. But the conclusion is always the same: I couldn't have done better, it's simply a deck unbeatable for my Eist deck. And now guess which deck I face extremely often? Yep, it was a rhetoric question.

Regarding Skellige as a faction: Yes, I see that now. My mistake was, that I tried to fix the issues on my own. By restricting myself. Instead, I should just wait and see which changes are made, and support those suggestions I agree with (like lately Sukrus), but in the meantime just use whatever is in the pool. After all, it is a competitive game, and everybody else also uses the full potential of their faction.

or the opponent made huge mistakes.
You mean like me 20 minutes ago, when my opponent played his last card, while I had still 2 cards with 17 points on hand and was already in the lead? And was trying to be nice and passed with that lead, totally forgotten about that trap between two of his/her units, that layed there for more than 3 turns? You mean that kind of huge mistakes? :ROFLMAO:

• RED Point

DRK3

Forum veteran
@tulamide Eist is freakin awesome, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. He was my favourite leader, now probably tied with Svalblod, and i only stopped playing him last year because i had his Mastery Contract (100 Wins) and still had to do the others, but this past week i went back to it, and had a blast.

I really love Hemdall, it was my favourite card for a long time in Beta, and even though this version is totally different, i still like it. Unfortunately, there arent many great warriors to do damage, only Hjalmar, as Donar and Madman Lugos have limits with Bloodthirst (and its not easy to get Bloodthirst units with Eist as it is with Crach or Arnjolf),

An Craite Warrior is another underrated unit i love, great players will notice you putting in the GY and restrain from placing units on melee, but usually there's always a melee-locked unit that ends up there. Combo'ed with Cerys, you can usually get an 11pt play with just a bronze (revive), great against players trying to bleed R2 only to lose CA.

On the whole SK hate thing... My advice would be to learn to live with it. Even when SK is not at the top of the meta, its always hated, for many reasons, but dont let that stop you from playing what you want to play. I also hate to play OP cards that everyone is using, but if you do want to use them, do it.

If their unbalanced for a long time, its the devs fault, and most players just love exploiting those flaws, but they're not the root of the problem.

• RED Point
I recently reached rank zero, and playing at this level I experienced that the presence of SK decks has increased until, let´s say, 90% or more. I remember playing a game against Eithné and a couple of them against Calvait. The remaining decks I faced were a nice variety of Skellige leaders. I have to say that, right now, I am playing SK as well, but in self defense I will add that I need to win games with this faction to reach the 25 games, as SK has been the faction I have played the least.

I don´t know why this love for Skellige by CDPR. They may have their reasons for constantly helping them to keep being at the top, but of course this is not fair. I love Scoia´tael, it´s my favorite faction, and I am lucky because they always managed to be at least at tier 2 (in fact, thanks to my Eithné deck I climbed to rank 4). But in pro-rank there´s no hope for the "green´s" to be competitive enough, as I can see; to them and to everybody except SK. It´s a pity, but as DRK3 said you have to learn to live with it.

@Manwwe @rrc Thank you both for the info about rank 7. I wasn't aware of both tips. I'm currently struggling to reach 7, each time only one win would be left I face my Nemesis (that certain MO deck). Tried it 4 times already, it's as if the Gwent Gods don't want me to reach 7!
But a serious question: If I reach 7, can I relax then for the rest of the season and play some season or arena mode games? Or do I have to continue playing at 7 for the bonus at the end of the season?

The remaining decks I faced were a nice variety of Skellige leaders.
Since I play my Eist deck only currently, my experiences are different, of course. For me it's 45% NG (Ursuper or Emhyr), 45% MO (Woodland Spirit or Unseen Elder) and the rest mainly ST, with a rare occurence of a NR deck from time to time. But I don't doubt for a second that the higher the rank the more numerous SK decks.

I also hate to play OP cards that everyone is using, but if you do want to use them, do it.
I think you would be surprised about my deck. Sure, I have some of the usual suspects, but there is no Harald, no Olaf, no Dagur, no Hjalmar, no Morkvard, etc., and only one single ship as a "placeholder". In fact the deck doesn't even have high provision cards. There's one at 9p, the rest is lower. But it somehow works quite well (I know it could be better, but that's something for next season), esp. because some unexpected cards and a nice synergy allowing for bloodthirst get me going. I also tested An Craite Warrior, but it is too risky for my deck. But I'm really tempted to try Madman Lugos, that card would fit quite well, but it is too expensive right now with 9p (see above, the only 9p is not exchangable, I would need to remove two cards to get it in, and I currently don't see which ones I could give up).

Well, time to get back working on rank 7. If only the MO and Ursurper players would pause for a while ;)

But a serious question: If I reach 7, can I relax then for the rest of the season and play some season or arena mode games? Or do I have to continue playing at 7 for the bonus at the end of the season?

After reaching 7 you can relax and enjoy playing whatever you want :)

I recently reached rank zero, and playing at this level I experienced that the presence of SK decks has increased until, let´s say, 90% or more.

This is of course due to the linear progression. You need consistency at that level. This is what bothers me personally. I am always in 2-6 or so but I had more fun playing below 7 since there was much more variety and crazy decks ... The grind between 4 and 0 is very tedious IMHO.

I don´t know why this love for Skellige by CDPR.

I don't even believe that CDPR favors one faction. Why would they? It just happens that SK is very well designed. And lets leave out the harsh "hate" vocabulary. Its only a game after all ;)

Last edited:
I don't even believe that CDPR favors one faction. Why would they? It just happens that SK is very well designed. And lets leave out the harsh "hate" vocabulary. Its only a game after all ;)

I don´t like the word "hate" in a game context, either. I only say that is difficult for me to understand why SK is always so well designed and the others are not.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
@tulamide I have bad news for you... "relax for the rest of the season"? The season ends friday, so you (and everyone else) only has today and tomorrow left to rank up this season.

But dont worry too much if you cant reach the rank you desire, i find its better to play ranked without the pressure of a season's impending ending, its one less stress factor.

@tulamide I have bad news for you... "relax for the rest of the season"? The season ends friday, so you (and everyone else) only has today and tomorrow left to rank up this season.

But dont worry too much if you cant reach the rank you desire, i find its better to play ranked without the pressure of a season's impending ending, its one less stress factor.
And what a tough day this is, so far. It seems all the predators jumped on the server. Had to play mostly against rank 7 players. And lost so many games that it almost feels like a month ago. But only almost. Because this time the lost games were only lost by 1 or 2 points. Which shows me that the deck is good enough, but I might make suboptimal decisions? However, I don't think I will make it to rank 7 (although I would only need to win 2 games in a row currently). Of course I'm a little bit disappointed, but in the end you are right. Why all the stress? It's a game. Someday I will reach 7. And 6. And 5. And ...

DRK3

Forum veteran
@tulamide Yeah, the most intense periods were most people try to rank up are at the beginning and end of each season, take that into account in the future.

If you need help with Eist decks i will be happy to help. Or if you want to counter a specific card or deck that's giving you trouble.

And what a tough day this is, so far. It seems all the predators jumped on the server. Had to play mostly against rank 7 players. And lost so many games that it almost feels like a month ago. But only almost. Because this time the lost games were only lost by 1 or 2 points. Which shows me that the deck is good enough, but I might make suboptimal decisions? However, I don't think I will make it to rank 7 (although I would only need to win 2 games in a row currently). Of course I'm a little bit disappointed, but in the end you are right. Why all the stress? It's a game. Someday I will reach 7. And 6. And 5. And ...
I play until Rank 7 in every Season. I reached once Rank 6, but after R7 is too much stress for me. No more winstreak, better players, etc...and when I lose 2-3 times in a row, I going to be angry. I know it's just a game, but still...
I reached R7 yesterday with a Crach Control deck (I modified the meta version, made 3-4 changes) and now I play Seasonal...it's fun :) So don't give up, you can make it :beer:

I play until Rank 7 in every Season. I reached once Rank 6, but after R7 is too much stress for me. No more winstreak, better players, etc...and when I lose 2-3 times in a row, I going to be angry. I know it's just a game, but still...
I reached R7 yesterday with a Crach Control deck (I modified the meta version, made 3-4 changes) and now I play Seasonal...it's fun :) So don't give up, you can make it :beer:

Unlike other CCG´s, I think it is not (so) stressful in Gwent going on further than the magic rank 7. This game has so many rewards that you can get Tier 1 decks in a very short time. I started playing in May and already have Svaldblod and Harald decks, besides my beloved Emyhir. That is Heaven for me after my terrible experience in HS, where I ended up completely frustrated facing One Turn Kill Decks and amazing legendary cards that literally destroyed whatever deck I used with a couple of combos. I got stucked in rank 15 and gave it up there, sick and tired of all this. That is stress :)

Unlike other CCG´s, I think it is not (so) stressful in Gwent going on further than the magic rank 7. This game has so many rewards that you can get Tier 1 decks in a very short time. I started playing in May and already have Svaldblod and Harald decks, besides my beloved Emyhir. That is Heaven for me after my terrible experience in HS, where I ended up completely frustrated facing One Turn Kill Decks and amazing legendary cards that literally destroyed whatever deck I used with a couple of combos. I got stucked in rank 15 and gave it up there, sick and tired of all this. That is stress :)
This is the one and only CCG I ever played online. Iplay from Day 1 Open Beta I have plenty of resources, so the motivation to have even more is not there. I play for fun and I can't bear too well when I lose. And with the new OP SY faction the Ranked will be more frustrating I think. Seasonal is fun, I play it most of the time.

Top Bottom