Media: Cyberpunk 2077 Movies

+
First Look at Alex Garland’s Directorial Debut Ex Machina

Here’s the first look at Ex Machina, the directorial debut from the writer of 28 Days Later and Dredd.

The upcoming sci-fi film follows Caleb, a young coder who is invited to stay with the reclusive CEO of his company. There, he encounters the world’s first true artificial intelligence: a beautiful female robot.

Ex Machina is directed by Alex Garland and stars Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac, and Alicia Vikander.

PLOT: Caleb, a 24 year old coder at the world's largest internet company, wins a competition to spend a week at a private mountain retreat belonging to Nathan, the reclusive CEO of the company. But when Caleb arrives at the remote location he finds that he will have to participate in a strange and fascinating experiment in which he must interact with the world's first true artificial intelligence, housed in the body of a beautiful robot girl.

Surely can't be any worse than The Machine(?).

Damn, I thought this was the Deus Ex movie. Siigh.

Edit: looks interesting though.

Last edited:
Psycho-Pass is an interesting anime I watched recently with a touch of a cyberpunky bent to it, mostly in regards to technology. The concept of the show is rather similar to Minority Report, but taken to the extreme where what Minority Report would call the 'pre-crime' experiment, becomes more of a norm in police work and society to where they have guns that read people's brain waves for the chances of committing criminal acts. The police in this series also use special agents who are potential criminals themselves due to various psychoses or psychological trauma, close enough to the criminal element to think like their prey, but not enough to become criminals themselves. These special agents are only allowed outside of the police department with their handlers, who are all meant to have a completely clean 'psycho-pass' (the series terminology for a clean bill of mental health) who are allowed and encouraged to kill the latent agents if they go out of line. Only watched two episodes so far, but I like the concept, and it's by Production I.G., the animation company behind Ghost in the Shell.

Then there are those that prefer this sort of game play for CP2077.

[video=youtube;SthxnaCs84g#t=184]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SthxnaCs84g#t=184[/video]

Sardukhar;1137796 Neither of these are /great/ movies - I'll let someone else post those. Both are kind of interesting for ideas and influences. And the odds are most of you haven't seen one or even both. "Hardware": [url said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099740/[/url]

Meh, I'd say Hardware is a great movie :/ Sure, not the most originat out there, but one of those films who stands out of the crowd.
Sure, it's low budget (10 000$ at all for the whole movie), don't expect a "Transformer" kind of blockbuster but I've seen bigger movies way worst than this one, and for the budget, it's one of a great cyberpunk movie...

I'd rather watch 10 000 times Hardware than 1 times Elysium.
In fact Hardware is way better than Elysium on every aspects, if you can get beyond the "low budget side", the visual are really artsy and the whole thing is packed, the story is somewhat credible.

Elysium is like a bimbo girl, freaking gorgeous, but once she starts to speak, you want to beat her down and drown her so much she's dumb. It's a stupid movie, like an empty shell of a project "Ok the guy is angry about his boss, so he's gonna save a lil girl", "wow cool and then what?"
"...Then nothing, just figure out how to strech that stupid idea for 2hours, it's what you're payed for".
That's what Elysium is, and the budget was way better than the Hardware's one.

Now, just imagine Hardware with Elysium's budget.
It would have been awesome.

As a warning, I point people to Death Machine. This is exactly what I don't want in a Cyberpunk story.
-- Ben
I'd disagree

DEATH MACHINE

Is a low budget too, not as good as Hardware tho, but it's just pure cyberpunk, a bunch of edgerunner try to take over a corporation, but they end chased by their cyborgs prototype, still not the most original movie out there, but it's pure cyberpunk, the kind of movie to see at least once, it's not bad, and not "awesome" either", just a standard movie to watch if you have 2hours to fill.
But you can't say it's not what a cyberpunk story can give, it has edgerunners, corporation, etc...
It's closer to a cyberpunk book than Strange Days or Matrix, and can absolutely be adapted as a quest for Cyberpunk 2020, replacing the cyborg by a cyber-predator, sure, I'm not saying it's the best movie out there, Strange Days is waaaaay better, but if you like cyberpunk, it's a movie to see, even if it has it's bad moments at time.

The bald edgerunner with some kind of futuristic indian tatoo on his face is how I'd depict a futuristic street punk, the movie has this kind of "edge", because, IMO, cyberpunk is more than "scifi and hacking", it's about the "edge", and Death Machine is full of it, still it's made with a crappy budget and have it's crappy moments too.

The thing is that there are never have some "really big budget cyberpunk movie", I mean there are movie that are "close", but not "really what you get when reading Neuromancer or Hardwired" so you have to deal with low budget most of the time, which doesn't mean they're "that" bad either :/

I'm still waiting for a real cyberpunk movie tho, because even Blade Runner isn't Cyberpunk, it's like alcool-free beer, you have the taste and all, but it lacks of "crazyness".
Don't get me wrong, I love Blade Runner and watch it every now and then, it's a great stone in the Cyberpunk wall, but... you know, it lacks the "chaos" in the street that Strange Days has, characters are all dead serious, no crackhead or whatever, it lacks the "crazyness of the everyday life", maybe because of the time the movie has been released, but for me a real cyberpunk movie would be Strange Days having place in the Blade Runner world.

Last edited:
First Look at Alex Garland’s Directorial Debut Ex Machina

Here’s the first look at Ex Machina, the directorial debut from the writer of 28 Days Later and Dredd.

The upcoming sci-fi film follows Caleb, a young coder who is invited to stay with the reclusive CEO of his company. There, he encounters the world’s first true artificial intelligence: a beautiful female robot.

Ex Machina is directed by Alex Garland and stars Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac, and Alicia Vikander.

Surely can't be any worse than The Machine(?).

Fucking awesome! I loved 28 Days Later and Dredd. Will be keeping tabs on this.

edit- oh, i read too fast. Just the writer and not the director. Still looks interesting.

Fans still clamor for a sequel to the 2012 action movie starring Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby

Judge Dredd fans have spent two years clamoring for a sequel to the epic 2012 action movie “Dredd” to no avail. But executive producer Adi Shankar has taken cinematic justice into his own hands, TheWrap has learned.

Shankar has spent the last two years creating a top-secret “Dredd” miniseries centering on the Dark Judges to thank the loyal fans who passionately supported the feature.

Shankar told TheWrap that the project will be released online later this month — and the best part — it will be free.

Since Shankar's unofficial “Dredd” project was done off-the-grid, it's technically a part of his popular Bootleg Universe, which includes the short “Punisher: Dirty Laundry” starring Thomas Jane and Ron Perlman, as well as “Venom: Truth in Journalism,” which starred Ryan Kwanten as Spider-Man villain Eddie Brock.

Shankar first alluded to the “Dredd” miniseries in a Reddit “Ask Me Anything” on March 19, 2013, when he described it as a short film. The project has since become a seven-part miniseries.

Shankar recently thanked “Dredd” fans for their unwavering support in an appreciation video that he taped in honor of Day of Dredd. Watch the video below.

Pete Travis directed “Dredd” from a script by Alex Garland. Karl Urban starred as the titular enforcer, and he was joined by Olivia Thirlby, Lena Headey, Wood Harris and Domhnall Gleeson.

To get a taste of Shankar's Bootleg Universe, check out his well-received short “Punisher: Dirty Laundry” below.

Live Action Dark Judges, eh?

All the great CP movies have been already quoted (Blade runner, GITS, Gattaca, ...) so here comes the B or Z cyberpunk movies:

THE MACHINE : a low budget english film about military cyborgs and androids in a "cold war" era setting with some good ideas and scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVadlANZ9wU

TIMEBOMB : Another OLD film (1991 !) with Patsy Kensit (Lethal weapon 2) and Michael Bhien (Terminator) with brainwashed solos kinda prehistoric Jason Bourne stories. Directed by a israelian director just after his military service in Tsahal and some real action, the film is violent and realistic (sort of) filled with paranoia and betrayal. The krav maga hand to hand combat shots are terrible ! Give him a chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAWcBphUhXg

Last edited:
All the great CP movies have been already quoted (Blade runner, GITS, Gattaca, ...)

Dude, Blade Runner can't be quoted enough. I only need to look images from that movie to hope CDPR could capture even a fraction of it's look and feel.
All about atmosphere that one.

All the great CP movies have been already quoted (Blade runner, GITS, Gattaca, ...) so here comes the B or Z cyberpunk movies:

THE MACHINE : a low budget english film about military cyborgs and androids in a "cold war" era setting with some good ideas and scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVadlANZ9wU

]

Actually just watched this last night. Thought it was pretty well done and enjoyed it. It will some day belong in my movie collection.

Top Bottom