Media: Cyberpunk 2077 Movies

+
...ha. More like "Gibson mishmash"; along with Johnny Mnemonic, I know I saw pieces of Skinner's Room in there, and other things I'm certainly forgetting at the moment. ;-)

it's true, but that's what happens when you adapt a short story into a full movie. unless you're peter jackson, in which case... you get three movies.

unless you're peter jackson, in which case... you get three movies.
...zing!

Hm. I seem to vaguely recall a Vin Diesel movie that had a Cyberpunk theme to it. Babylon A.D.

Having never seen it, I don't have any real input on the movie, one way or the other. Being a Vin Diesel project, there's only so much I expect out of it, though. ;-)

(This is not to say I dislike Vin Diesel movies, but Ridley Scott or Kurosawa, they ain't.)

Babylon AD was kind of fun, actually, and better than the book, I thought.

I'm a Vin Diesel fan, though, so I'm prejudiced.

Sort of like the ( much better) Children of Men mentioned earlier in terms of setting, plus Mercenary, young girl and mobsters. Check it out.

Ghost in the Shell seems like an obvious answer. Personally I'm a big fan of the series more than the films,.

That's because the Ghost In The Shell movies, especially the second one, were ridiculously mind numbingly boring... and Mamuro Oshii is a hack halfwit who just happens to be in charge of an absolutely brilliant animation studio.

The series however was bloody awesome...

As for my list, it's a few years out of date, but here you go...
http://datafortress2020.oliwy.net/MediaList.html

I need to add The Island, Renaissance, Appleseed 2, The new Appleseed series, Black Lagoon, the new Total Recall, the new Death Race movies, and a ton of low budget crap...

Did anyone of you heard of the "Appleseed" movie lineup?

- Appleseed (the first movie, a bit aged but still good)
- Appleseed: ExMachina (the prequel, one of the best mech/animated/futuristic movies I know)

I love the overall feel of these works of art. The sound especially in the second installment is brilliant.
The soundtrack (ExMachina OST) offers a broad spectrum of exotic japanese style techno and synth sounds.
My personal favourites are "Perfect Conflict", "Test Tube" and "Weather". <3

Look these masterpieces up, I guarantee you'll like them :)

Love, xClu5ter.

EDIT: lol just read that Wisdom000 already named the movies. Whatever :p

What? No NIRVANA ; not even on Wisdom000s list ?

- maybe i overlooked the following ones in the previous posts -

Vexille

Paprika

Cyber Wars

The Gene Generation

bonus: eventually, you wanna rewatch the X-Files episodes written by William Gibson ^^

Kill Switch ( S05E11)

First Person Shooter ( S07E13)

For me there are really 4 top Cyberpunk movies in terms of climate

Johny Mnemonic - based on William Gibson Novel is fantastic movie - I love the scene where Johny shouts "I want the room service."
The Crow - all action takes place in citi that seems a perfect picture of Combat Zone, and we have the rock musician who seeks personal vendetta - its not hard to picture him like somekind of cyberpsycho :)
Strange Days - again the decadence climat + basically the same concept like the braindance is
Blade Runner - self explanatory - what's interesting is that the film was released before the William Gibson books and the writer was afraid that he will be ocused of coping the movie in the books. But the movie was surprisingly underestimated and not many people have the chance to see it at the beginning.

I think all 4 of them are must see for any genre fan :)

ha, i think i have another one that isn't mentioned in here yet:

Soldier ( not only Kurt Russell in it ^^, it tries to tie up to the bladerunner universe)

That's because the Ghost In The Shell movies, especially the second one, were ridiculously mind numbingly boring... and Mamuro Oshii is a hack halfwit

Don't blame director for your inability to understand his works.

I'm adding "Avalon" it might be cheesy at times but I still love it.

"Tetsuo II: The Body Hammer" : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105569/

"Sequel to "Tetsou" this time has the Iron Man transforming into cyberkinetic gun when a gang of vicious skinheads kidnap his son"

Posting the sequel because I saw it first and it's, well..it's..yeah. The Tetsuo series is mostly notable because William Gibson, at the time, thought it was amazing. And so it is. Sort of.

On to the next person!

Hell yeah. It's more cyberpunked than latest Total Recall.

Did anyone of you heard of the "Appleseed" movie lineup?

I feel the movies were pretty dreadful as an adaptation, losing much of what the source material had going for it. The original four volume manga is very good though and has a reasonable amount of hard cyberpunk themes, even if the setting is a bit less 'damaged' than your average Blade Runner variant.

I'd have to cast my vote for "Equilibrium" as well.

How about "Repo Men," paid to extract body parts when the owner fails to pay for the implanted organs?

"Thirteenth Floor" is another amazing film, while not exactly cyberpunk, it does have you questioning the definition of reality.

Everyone always seems to forget the cameo of "The Bridge" from "Virtual Light" in the "Johnny Mnemonic" movie as well.

Don't blame director for your inability to understand his works.

I'm adding "Avalon" it might be cheesy at times but I still love it.

It's not that I don't understand what Oshii was doing, A child could understand his hackneyed pseudo-philosophy.

No the Problem with Oshii, is that he is making animated films, with one of the best animation studios in the world... and 90% of his movies are people standing around, droning on and on in monotone voices, while he shows off his background scenery. He is Japan's Tim Burton... he takes someone else's property, and gives it his own twist. Where Burton makes everything all gothy and angsty, Oshii makes it irredeemably boring.

Oshii took Patlabor, a serious firmly rooted in the action.comedy genre... and turned it into... hell I still have no idea what that movie was supposed to be about, because I can't stay awake to finish it.

And Avalon, was the Japanese equivalent of Suckerpunch.... pretty eye candy, but ultimately a jumbled mess with no real direction. Worse yet,. it suffered the same fatal flaw as the Matrix.... in that the whole movie is watching someone else play a video game...

Someone pointed out that Nirvana wasn't on my list.... not sure how I missed that one....

I also need to add District 13, Children of Men, City Of God, and Raid:The Redemption...

My old CP games were based on:
Max Headroom: 20 minutes into the future
GITS and Appleseed
Bladerunner
Akira
I guess Deus Ex would be an influence now...

Top Bottom