Media, News & Previews Thread

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be most fair to show gameplay running on a One X. CDPR should show the game as it will appear to most of its players. I know, the PS4 Pro is also a thing, but the graphical performance across these four machines is fairly uniform. At the very least, CDPR should use a console. PC players will know they can expect even more if they've chosen to build such a powerful rig.

Not to start Platform Wars, but nope.

https://www.dualshockers.com/witcher-sales-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

PS4, then PC, ( or maybe the other way around, very close if you look at the chart, ) then Xbox a distant third.

By the time 2018 is up, I expect PC sales will be first total.
...Wow... That's a shock.

I don't have any silly platform pride so I'm not going to rub it in anyone's face, but that's kind of interesting/exciting news, given how many people shout about how "PC GAMING IS DEAD THO!"

Nice find.

I will say, I'm not surprised Xbox is coming in at third. They've kind of (unfortunately for Xbox fans, seriously) gotten screwed by Sony this gen. Hopefully they can still recover, probably a couple more years in this hardware cycle.

Not to start Platform Wars, but nope.

https://www.dualshockers.com/witcher-sales-ps4-xbox-one-pc/

PS4, then PC, ( or maybe the other way around, very close if you look at the chart, ) then Xbox a distant third.

By the time 2018 is up, I expect PC sales will be first total.

If they want to do true multiplayer, the Playstation is the one platform they shouldn't release it on. Sony is not multiplayer friendly.

I'm not surprised by the rest of that. The Playstation is a great platform with its exclusives right now. Plus, the issue with them leading the pack...

...Wow... That's a shock.

I don't have any silly platform pride so I'm not going to rub it in anyone's face, but that's kind of interesting/exciting news, given how many people shout about how "PC GAMING IS DEAD THO!"

Nice find.

I will say, I'm not surprised Xbox is coming in at third. They've kind of (unfortunately for Xbox fans, seriously) gotten screwed by Sony this gen. Hopefully they can still recover, probably a couple more years in this hardware cycle.

Xbox has never truly been a leading platform, in large part because they lack the Asian audience. It's pretty much got most of its customers in America. MS doesn't even have servers for Asia as a result.

German magazine pcgameshardware out up a big interview
Miles Tost works at CD Projekt Red as a Level Designer at Cyberpunk 2077. However, this is not his first project - Tost started working for the Polish developer in January 2013, right after completing his game design studies at the SAE Institute in Berlin. His first mission: to accompany The Witcher 3 from the first drafts to the finished game. We grabbed Miles Tost for a talk at the E3 2018 in Los Angeles, where we surprised him with a real German salt liquorice sweet.

PC Games Hardware: How does a studio, which is at home in classic fantasy role-playing games, get into the science-fiction world of Cyberpunk 2077? Could you no longer see dwarfs and elves at some point?

Miles Tost: Many of our developers have been around since the first or second Witcher. In particular, some conceptual artists, Who have drawn only swords for years, were glad to be able to do something else. We also have a lot of fans of the cyberpunk pen and paper game in the studio - right up to the bosses making the decisions, and that's when the new project came along.

PC Games Hardware: Then all the places, people, and so on come one to one from the pen and paper template?

Miles Tost: Yes, which is something like The Witcher 3. The places and persons all come from the source material, but we allow ourselves artistic freedom here and there. Because the pen-and-paper system goes on until the year 2020, but we are on the road 57 years later, we can almost create a kind of parallel world in which some events from the template did not run or something else. That's why you see us figures, in which hardcore cyberpunk fans would say: Hey, they should all be dead!

PC Games Hardware: The E3 demo gave us a glimpse into the everyday life of a hacker - what's the long-term nature of the game? Are we expecting a sandbox world where we can do what we want to do? Or are we moving along a sometimes more, sometimes less linear story?

Miles Tost: For us, the story is always in the foreground. Internally we call Cyberpunk 2077 a "narrative-driven open-world RPG" - and in the sequence we go to the development: first the story, then the open game world, packed into a role-playing game.

Again, what is very important to us is the principle of "Choices & Consequences": drastic decisions have significant consequences that go beyond "Do I go to the left or to the right, but then arrive at the same place?" go out. And we want to significantly expand this compared to The Witcher 3.

PC Games Hardware: Could you give us an example?

Miles Tost: In Cyberpunk 2077, you can freely create your main character. This includes your gender and the background story of your character, both of which will affect the story of the game. Also in 2077, for example, there are some people who do not want to admit women the same rights as men - because we do not want to talk nicely, but approach the issue realistically.

PC Games Hardware: In that case, your new dialog system will also be used?

Miles Tost: Exactly. Here too we want to give you the greatest possible freedom. Suppose I got up during our conversation and overturned the table here, then you would react - and we try to do that in the game as well. You can, for example, draw your weapon whenever you want - which will cause the corresponding reactions to your opponent.

But we will not show you a countdown within which you have to or can do anything. You regulate this now out of context as in a real conversation. It helps the ego perspective, from which you see more immediate, for example, if your friend makes a deal with someone.

PC Games Hardware: This camera choice is not entirely undisputed ...

Miles Tost: It's easy to look critically at the ego perspective, and I can understand that. But who sees the game and gets involved, understands why we made that decision. And that's why the game works so well - see implants, scans, and so on. And of course you see your character right at the beginning, when you create it, and later in the inventory, if you give him new cool clothes. But on the other hand, of course, we do not want you to spend most of the game in inventory, so we have cut scenes or things like mirrors, V's closet, or even the scene at the Ripperdoc, where you can see yourself from your not quite implanted eye. When driving we change as the only exception in the third-person perspective - then you see UI not on your retina, but on the windshield. Because everything is anchored in the game world, you do not have to fight through menus.

The shooter faction has taken this perspective, we hope to bring it back to the role players. The perspective helps us developers immensely, not only in conversations, but also in combat. Weapons like the one where the projectiles bounce off the environment would otherwise be much harder to visualize and assess. But Cyberpunk 2077 is not a 3D action title, but remains a role-playing game with shooter elements. And because it's our first game in this perspective, we can go a little fresher and unused to the development and try out some new things as well. I think she fits in well with us as a studio that specializes in gripping role-playing games, and just hope your readers can trust us a bit. The shooter faction has taken this perspective, we hope to bring it back to the role

In the ego perspective, the problem is completely eliminated. You enter the room when the character enters the room. This makes the environments and perception of the player very different. For example, I can work with much more realistic proportions. Incidentally, due to the increased mobility of the player, the average room size is higher - just like the running speed. And then you get the chance to sprint, do a double jump, walk along walls, drive vehicles - all of which has a massive effect on the open game world.

In general, however, like in The Witcher 3, we want to allow players to move freely through the game world as fast as possible.

For this reason, distances you could bridge in The Witcher 3 in half an hour have left you behind in Cyberpunk 2077 in ten minutes or less. Anyone who would go through the game world with a tape measure would find that scaling is far more unrealistic than in real life: a 60-square-meter room in the game still feels like a ten to twelve square meter due to the ego's perspective big room.

PC Games Hardware: How do you assemble the pieces of such a big game world, especially if we can move around in it so freely? May our character go everywhere at the beginning of the game? Do some of the six neighborhoods open later?

Miles Tost: We're still working on that. Perhaps particularly strong bandits block some areas, but ultimately you decide where to go - but then you have to live with the consequences. In general, however, as in The Witcher 3, we want to allow players to move freely through the game world as fast as possible.

Last edited:
Intentional decision, maybe. And frankly speaking, a swell one. Every other game wants to be "realistic"; not ever game needs to, and cyberpunk lends itself well for a bit of a comicbooky twist.

In the passages you quoted, they are speaking of aesthetic direction, not graphics. A more humble ("realism" wise) and stylized aesthetic direction might allow them to put more stuff on the screen without it becoming an excessive resource hog. And based on the trailer, the both, the graphics and aesthetic are just fine. Even less would've sufficed.

What do you mean by comicbooky twist ? I dont think that fits at all. Though, i dont think it looks comicbooky

But Cyberpunk 2077 is not a 3D action title, but remains a role-playing game with shooter elements.

They keep saying that, but never elaborate further.

What does RPG with shooter elements mean to them? Shooter elements to what extent? Working how? Does it, for example, mean that once combat starts the shooter takes the lead and RPG takes a coffee break?

They keep saying that, but never elaborate further.

What does RPG with shooter elements mean to them? Shooter elements to what extent? Working how? Does it, for example, mean that once combat starts the shooter takes the lead and RPG takes a coffee break?

Yeah, it'd be nice if they actually elaborated on this a bit. Mostly, it just sounds like they're trying to prevent people from freaking out, which isn't really a great route to take if you want to convey information to your potential customers, IMO.

But... conveying information to us does not seem to be their priority at this time. I remember the Twitter account manager responded to someone saying they haven't told us much about the game by sarcastically saying "uhhh, have you read the previews and interviews?"

Well, sure, but those rehash the same information and you guys refuse to answer even basic questions about the game, so some of us feel that's not quite enough.

I'm really hoping they start being more open after Gamescom, but I'm not getting my hopes up. We're probably in for an extremely long ride.

Working how? Does it, for example, mean that once combat starts the shooter takes the lead and RPG takes a coffee break?
Are you asking me?

Well, sure, but those rehash the same information and you guys refuse to answer even basic questions about the game, so some of us feel that's not quite enough.
There isn't even a release date yet and it's in pre-alpha. Making promises or even guesses about how specific systems work is probably not a great idea. Then if something changed, everyone would say "well why did you even mention it in the first place!?!?!?!"

I've already seen a few people saying "why did they release a trailer & demo if it's in pre-alpha ... maybe they did things too soon?" who were in some cases the same people saying "They have to show us something now!" two months ago.

Patience is a virtue. Eventually we will get details.

Last edited:
Are you asking me?

I know you know... You just won't tell me. ;)

Nah I've just generally been twitching like a fish in distress with that point. From E3 and before. It's just a general comment on the subject.

Last edited:

Hmm. I don't think CP2077 will be a first RPG that involves ranged combat, so I'm not sure where's this confusion coming from.(?)

Hmm. I don't think CP2077 will be a first RPG that involves ranged combat, so I'm not sure where's this confusion coming from.(?)

Of course not, but since they seem to insist on underlining this so fervently, I'd wish to know what it is exactly they are underlining it for. Not a shooter, not a shooter, but RPG! Ok. What does not a shooter, but RPG mean to them - mechanically speaking. That's actually an important question to me.

Of course not, but since they seem to insist on underlining this so fervently, I'd wish to know what it is exactly they are underlining it for. Not a shooter, not a shooter, but RPG! Ok. What does not a shooter, but RPG mean to them - mechanically speaking. That's actually an important question to me.
An important question to many of us that are looking for an RPG experience.

Ok. What does not a shooter, but RPG mean to them - mechanically speaking.
Hmm well I can't speak for them ... but based on what they have said in interviews and through places like here and twitter and such it seems like it means:

non-linear story telling, choices and consequences (both narrative and situationally - i.e.combat v. stealth v. dialogue v. hacking), large open world environment, customization (of style, gear, cyberware, player back ground, etc etc) and modern action RPG mechanics where player action and character stats, skills & perks intertwine.

At least that's what it sounds like to me.

I think the question you have is how do "player action and character stats, skills & perks intertwine?." To which the answer is we don't know yet.

Are you asking me?

Patience is a virtue. Eventually we will get details.

Sure. I'm not in a rush. But bear in mind, they're the ones that revealed their game before it's apparently ready for its big information dump. I'm not against them showing the game off, I'm just slightly miffed that they've done so far before they're ready. I assumed that, after all this time, they would follow through on their desire to not show anything until something substantial could be shown.

That doesn't mean I'm just crossing my arms and saying "Screw you, CDPR! I do what I want!" of course. Just saying, if they do not want to to answer our questions (or can't, which I sympathize with either way), that's on them for showing the game off at E3 and kicking off their marketing campaign.

TL;DR: When a CS rep gets kind of snarky with a fan who has a legitimate question, it seems like CDPR is frustrated that these questions are being asked, which is silly because it's their fault they're being asked in the first place. "Fault," of course, is not intended to have a negative connotation in this context, it's more a "natural consequence of your choices" kind of thing.

I think the question you have is how do "player action and character stats, skills & perks intertwine?." To which the answer is we don't know yet.

Yes, that's the question. How the gameplay works there.

We indeed do not know, so I keep pushing the question.

I dunno. I kinda feel like E3 was a big information dump. It took me 4 posts to summarize what we learned in this thread ... and I was trying to be super succinct and ran into character limitation issues in each post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom