[Mega SPOILERS] Immersion Destroyer.

+
After the battle of Kaer Mohen, eventhough everyone leave, Keira remain near the funeral. I think this one is a bug, she can't be there, she already left Kaer Mohen with Lambert. But when i talk to Keira there is an option in the picture below

So this one really give me hope they will add some quest in Act 3 that you can talk to everyone before final fight with Wild Hunt :D.

And how do you do that? By running around doing nothing but always fighting the same generic enemies? I don't get it...

It's not like the game offers unlimited content. The content which is there is clearly made to be done before the final main quest (even the player level hints of the quests suggest that). So there is no content there for this "after credit free roaming" mode. So how do you want to immerse yourself into a world if there is nothing meaningful to do?

Really, there is no reason why this mode exists in the first place. They should just delete it and that's it. No issue left and they can concentrate on improving the important stuff that is there and to create new stuff for the expansions.

No game is endless. Modding and good dev support can make them last a VEEEERY long time though. And some tech can make unique situations ENDLESS!
STALKER and Skyrim still have thousands of players due to modders. Some mods rival expansion packs in all but Voice Acting :p

Then again, Witcher 3 does not use the tech STALKER uses, so it cant be endless (A-life system).

OT:
I agree that the game needs some post-ending content. I would love that!
Be it with Yen in Kaer Morhen or a house somewhere (or in a small seperate location), with Triss in Kovir and some more time with Zoltan and Dandelion telling them all that happened and playing cards or having a good time at their cabaret.

Meeting Eskel or Lambert and Keira in a random encounter? Letho too? Or Ciric if she is a witcheress? Damn nice.

We dont need too much really.

PS: Upgrading a house or KM and being able to store stuff in it... would be great too.

No game is endless. Modding and good dev support can make them last a VEEEERY long time though. And some tech can make unique situations ENDLESS!
STALKER and Skyrim still have thousands of players due to modders. Some mods rival expansion packs in all but Voice Acting :p

But we don't talk about modding here. We talk about the game itself and the content delivered by the developers. There is simply no content that justifies such an after credits free roaming mode.

I'm pretty sure that good modders can make good content. But they don't need this moder neither. And we don't even know when mods tools will arrive. It needed 2 years for the last game...

But we don't talk about modding here. We talk about the game itself and the content delivered by the developers. There is simply no content that justifies such an after credits free roaming mode.

I'm pretty sure that good modders can make good content. But they don't need this moder neither. And we don't even know when mods tools will arrive. It needed 2 years for the last game...

Check again. I did not say I want modders to fix this. I was just addressing the endless game thing.

I hope they come soon. I see potential for some great stuff if modders can do what they want with the game.

Check again. I did not say I want modders to fix this. I was just addressing the endless game thing.
This endless game thing had some context. Stuff always has some context...

I also don't want modders to fix this. I just think that this after credits mode isn't needed for modding at all. It's just pointless and unnecessary from whatever perspective you look at it.

Of course some people always want MOREEEEEEEE. But the content that is there doesn't support this mode or motivate the players to use it. Best way to fix this is to just delete the whole thing so nobody can complain about an obviously lacking and disappointing "feature" like that...

This endless game thing had some context. Stuff always has some context...

I also don't want modders to fix this. I just think that this after credits mode isn't needed for modding at all. It's just pointless and unnecessary from whatever perspective you look at it.

Of course some people always want MOREEEEEEEE. But the content that is there doesn't support this mode or motivate the players to use it. Best way to fix this is to just delete the whole thing so nobody can complain about an obviously lacking and disappointing "feature" like that...

Why delete free play?
What if someone actually likes it? I like it, finishing some more quests and fooling around. Remember, the forums =/= the general public. The people here, even if some of them make me question literary education, are passionate about the game. They WANT more than the average person.

Modders should not fix this. They should not waste time fixing bugs or perceived storyline issues. They should be like the STALKER mods that add gigantic new areas, new stories and quests and new gameplay features! That is what modding is (and why PC gaming is simply the best)!

But this here is a different issue. People like Geralt and the characters. They want closure. We dont really need that much to be happy.

Why delete free play?
Well, developers delete or "cut" bad stuff in games all the time. Some stuff is just not good or fun enough to should be part of the game. This is actually a very good example. I don't see anybody here who says that the free play mode is good the way it is. There couldn't be a better indicator for a lacking feature that should either be seriously improved to be on par with the quality of the rest of the game - or simply cut. Since the efforts and time needed to make this free play mode meaningful is obviously very high with a huge junk of work involved that doesn't improve the story-driven parts - so to say the core of the game - the best option would be to delete this mode and therefore making the game better by cutting out underdeveloped parts that only disappoints people. If they ever made a better free play mode in the furture they could bring it back of course. But now, at this very moment, deleting it is just the best option.

And this free play mode isn't about closure at all. Of course people love the characters and want a good end to the story. I'm the first one to sign that and you know how hard I've criticized the ending of the main story. The free play mode just doesn't offer anything to improve that here. It wouldn't even do so it it was better. What we need is much better directed, paced and written ending with better and hugely extended epilogues.

And after all, if somebody just wants to full around, why not just loading a save game before the final mission? You don't need a free play mode for that. In it's current state loading a save game fulfils exactly the very same purpose...

What if someone actually likes it? I like it, finishing some more quests and fooling around. Remember, the forums =/= the general public. The people here, even if some of them make me question literary education, are passionate about the game. They WANT more than the average person.

Modders should not fix this. They should not waste time fixing bugs or perceived storyline issues. They should be like the STALKER mods that add gigantic new areas, new stories and quests and new gameplay features! That is what modding is (and why PC gaming is simply the best)!

But this here is a different issue. People like Geralt and the characters. They want closure. We dont really need that much to be happy.[/QUOTE]

Well, developers delete or "cut" bad stuff in games all the time. Some stuff is just not good or fun enough to should be part of the game. This is actually a very good example. I don't see anybody here who says that the free play mode is good the way it is. There couldn't be a better indicator for a lacking feature that should either be seriously improved to be on par with the quality of the rest of the game - or simply cut. Since the efforts and time needed to make this free play mode meaningful is obviously very high with a huge junk of work involved that doesn't improve the story-driven parts - so to say the core of the game - the best option would be to delete this mode and therefore making the game better by cutting out underdeveloped parts that only disappoints people. If they ever made a better free play mode in the furture they could bring it back of course. But now, at this very moment, deleting it is just the best option.

And this free play mode isn't about closure at all. Of course people love the characters and want a good end to the story. I'm the first one to sign that and you know how hard I've criticized the ending of the main story. The free play mode just doesn't offer anything to improve that here. It wouldn't even do so it it was better. What we need is much better directed, paced and written ending with better and hugely extended epilogues.

And after all, if somebody just wants to full around, why not just loading a save game before the final mission? You don't need a free play mode for that. In it's current state loading a save game fulfils exactly the very same purpose...

But this here is a different issue. People like Geralt and the characters. They want closure. We dont really need that much to be happy.
[/QUOTE]

I am a big fan of fixing things instead of cutting them as soon as the going gets tough.
CDPR made a lot of cash on Witcher 3. The game is a hit in every sense of the word.

What is needed to "fix" free play is NOT A LOT OF WORK! and will be done by modders anyway. I am all for saving CDPR the embarrassment of being outdone so easily.

I am a big fan of fixing things instead of cutting them as soon as the going gets tough.
If fixing is easy and improves your product, especially the core of it, yes of course. Problem is that fixing is neither easy nor does it improve the core of the product. Point is that the game has a lot of problems at its core that are in dire need of improvement. Priorities for the devs should lay there.

CDPR made a lot of cash on Witcher 3. The game is a hit in every sense of the word.
So what? This argument could be used in any possible way for whatever motive or priority you have...

What is needed to "fix" free play is NOT A LOT OF WORK! and will be done by modders anyway. I am all for saving CDPR the embarrassment of being outdone so easily.
Well, I disagree on that. If you don't believe me feel free to look up what the REDs said on this topic...

And then again I strongly believe that it's even impossible to really "fix" that mode anyway. It will always stay a "gamey" think that lacks the believablity and immersion of the main game no matter what.

If fixing is easy and improves your product, especially the core of it, yes of course. Problem is that fixing is neither easy nor does it improve the core of the product. Point is that the game has a lot of problems at its core that are in dire need of improvement. Priorities for the devs should lay there.

So what? This argument could be used in any possible way for whatever motive or priority you have...

Well, I disagree on that. If you don't believe me feel free to look up what the REDs said on this topic...

And then again I strongly believe that it's even impossible to really "fix" that mode anyway. It will always stay a "gamey" think that lacks the believablity and immersion of the main game no matter what.

Yes, the fixing is easy. In comparison to some of the things they have pulled of.
What are these points? Subjectivity dictates that I dont know what your problems are with the game...

Yes, the argument can be used in many ways. I am using it to justify extra content though.

I have no idea what the RED's said on the topic. I know what STALKER mods can achieve... and let me tell you, it is a LOT.

"Gamey" =/= bad.

What is needed to "fix" free play is NOT A LOT OF WORK! and will be done by modders anyway. I am all for saving CDPR the embarrassment of being outdone so easily.[/QUOTE]

This is an interesting point.

The mod community may very well implement a seamless environment that may be indistinguishable from what CD Project RED has created. I'm looking forward to this potential.

However I would prefer if CD Projekt RED established their interpretation first.

DLC expansion. Charge whatever reflects the quality, quantity, and content. Anything upwards of $20-30 would be great.

This being Geralt's last playground for players to roleplay him makes this idea justified as a finale project.

"Gamey" =/= bad.
For me it is, in a game that heavily builds on immersion and believability.

Stalker is a whole different kind of game, as is Skyrim. Both are not really story-driven, but exploration driven. They are "you make your own kind of story" types of games. Witcher on the other hand is a much more directed experience with a much bigger focus on the story.

These discussion always look to me as those Skyrim fans want to turn every story-driven game basically in a Skyrim-like experience. I don't want that. I think the free play mode is actually BAD for the experience Witcher 3 offers. It hurts its core experience.

For me it is, in a game that heavily builds on immersion and believability.

Stalker is a whole different kind of game, as is Skyrim. Both are not really story-driven, but exploration driven. They are "you make your own kind of story" types of games. Witcher on the other hand is a much more directed experience with a much bigger focus on the story.

These discussion always look to me as those Skyrim fans want to turn every story-driven game basically in a Skyrim-like experience. I don't want that. I think the free play mode is actually BAD for the experience Witcher 3 offers. It hurts its core experience.

We are entering subjective territory.

STALKER is not like Skyrim. I like STALKER. A lot. The best game made by mortal human beings. And I dont really like Skyrim. STALKER has a plot. And it relies on themes, atmosphere (Witcher valiantly tries here, but even it cant compare to STALKER's atmosphere) and A-life driven mini-stories. Something no other game does. That and its gameplay and atmosphere.

I dont want to turn Witcher into Skyrim.
You have your own opinion and I dont get it at all. That is fine I guess. Just stop playing after the end. I did. Till what I like is done or explored or modded (and I get a better PC)

STALKER is not like Skyrim. I like STALKER. A lot. The best game made by mortal human beings. And I dont really like Skyrim. STALKER has a plot. And it relies on themes, atmosphere (Witcher valiantly tries here, but even it cant compare to STALKER's atmosphere) and A-life driven mini-stories. Something no other game does. That and its gameplay and atmosphere.
But we don't talk about gameplay and atmosphere here. We talk about the narrative design. Of course Skyrim and Stalker are not "the same". But imho they are both much more exploration, and less story-driven than Witcher. That was the point.

I dont want to turn Witcher into Skyrim.
What then? Turning it into Stalker? What do you want and why do you think that the free play mode makes the game any better?

You have your own opinion and I dont get it at all. That is fine I guess. Just stop playing after the end. I did. Till what I like is done or explored or modded (and I get a better PC)
Yes, I did as well. But this is not the question here. The question here is whether CDPR should spend time, money and resources to make the free play mode better. Time, money and resources that IMO could be used much better elsewhere. That's why I'm writing here and not because I'm not able to not play the free play mode myself. ;)

There is many ideas in this thread to offer some ways to add some interest to this feature. And no need to have meaningful content to just enjoy the post-end, imo some interactions with the characters etc.. during the time to finish the side quest is fine for me. It's not like the choices you made during the whole story are meaningful or have a real impact in the world.... Your choices mainly interact with the Ciri's ending and the final slideshow that's all, so i think it's pretty limited in term of meaningful ^^.

I think it can also provide a great base for modders as it said before.

But again i agree with you, the state of this feature as it is actually is not good and if it is not fixed i agree that it would be better to delete it and auto load a previous savegame and a fix to the ACT 3 story and epilogues could help the post-end issue.

But we don't talk about gameplay and atmosphere here. We talk about the narrative design. Of course Skyrim and Stalker are not "the same". But imho they are both much more exploration, and less story-driven than Witcher. That was the point.

What then? Turning it into Stalker? What do you want and why do you think that the free play mode makes the game any better?

Yes, I did as well. But this is not the question here. The question here is whether CDPR should spend time, money and resources to make the free play mode better. Time, money and resources that IMO could be used much better elsewhere. That's why I'm writing here and not because I'm not able to not play the free play mode myself. ;)

Not really. Witcher has more in common with STALKER than Skyrim IMHO :). I dont like comparing STALKER to Skyrim...

I dont want to turn Witcher into STALKER. That would ruin both. And Witcher CANT be made into STALKER at this point. That would require a complete redesign of both the engine and the moment-to-moment gameplay. That would basically mean remake the game as something else. And invest in different tech.

Id say they are better of spending it on making the CHARACTER interaction after the end better. That is all most really need. Not a redesign of the game :p
And I see no other place where we would do good to spend a lot of coin on (if we were CDPR). Again, I dont know your own subjective faults with the game.

Why delete free play?
What if someone actually likes it?

I Like it!
There are still alot of things to explore...items/recipies gettinge prepared for DLC =)

To be honest i wonder why ppl asking for ''Main Quest'' content after finishing the ''Main Quest''
The game told me about three times
Before you find Ciri/before leaving Novigrad with Avala'ch/last one at Undvink
''dude get your stuff done there is no return after this...in other words be aware its almost done.
At least after credits you get another message ''The Main Quest is done''
I have Crafted the ending i like and im fine with that...story is done can't wait for more!

Sry for my bad English.

Top Bottom