Melee Combat Need IMPROVEMENT!

+
About the gameplay scene of the twins fight was really bad.

-Most of attacks gooing out of sync, unnatural and unrealistic.

-There's NO visual feedback at all, faces are still clean after some punches maybe add black eye, bruises and blood dripin.
Edit: I don't know if there is visual feedback in V face but it would be even more realistic if it is.

Idea from Bottleblonde: "You could look at yourself in the inventory screen and see a bruise. Your opponents could get swelling eyes and blood. What if in some conversations NPC's reacted to your face? Like, "Did you get beat up?"" (With the selfie too we could see that)

-The reactions were very slow, sometimes had no reaction at all, they didn't even are attacking at the same time (one of the twins seems to be lost while the other one is attacking) feels really weird and bad animation. On top he is dodging for no reason.

I know the game is a RPG I don't expect to be perfect and they are still working in the game but for a realistic game it seems pretty bad. I really hope and suggest they fix/improve this so the game can be a huge success because it has a lot of potential to be.

So what did you guys think of this agree, disagree ?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I thought it looked passable for an action video game HtH. And I suppose (hope) it'll look better when the skill grows.

I am biased, though. I don't care about a bit of janky animations. At all. I only care about how it all works under the hood.

If one can stomach Deus Ex, Morrowind or Wizardry 8 in this regard, there's not a single reason to worry about animations here.

I thought it looked passable for an action video game HtH. And I suppose (hope)

ah-yes-hope-we-have-dismissed-that-claim.jpg

For those who didn't see the gameplay it from 2 weeks ago, 14min of gameplay of the game. To see how bad it looks watch the fight scene in 0.50 speed I have seen games from the last decade with a better melee.

this entire thread is premature. we've been told several times that the combat animations change with leveling and point investment. so your melee encounters in the first 5 hours look nothing like your melee encounters in the 50th hour (same applies to gunplay, recoil, and reloading). i...i don't understand the hopelessness in comments like these.

it's like looking at a lasagna 2 minutes after it's been put in the oven, seeing how uncooked it is, and demanding it be remade.

but as far as the lack of visual feedback in the lowest level, tutorial fist fight: how many of y'all actually have sparred?
(again, they have told us combat animations--including visible injury feedback--change over time)

"My bodies do everything together." "EVERYTHING"
Proceeds to attack one by one haha

Controls and combat are CD projects weakest areas unfortunately.

People are saying that the combat gets better according to the character development however it doesn’t change the fact of the animations, the punches are totally out of reality but worst of all is the reaction of the AI that doesn’t have a feedback in the face after taking multiple punches (black eye and blood spilling).

They really need to work on that because for a game that has been working on for so long should be better than we saw.
Post automatically merged:

This would be immersive! I like the idea. You could look at yourself in the inventory screen and see a bruise. Your opponents could get swelling eyes and blood. What if in some conversations NPC's reacted to your face? Like, "Did you get beat up?"
That is what I'm talking about it would be awesome especially for this game that seems to prioritize realism.

For those who didn't see the gameplay it from 2 weeks ago, 14min of gameplay of the game. To see how bad it looks watch the fight scene in 0.50 speed I have seen games from the last decade with a better melee.
Were those games open world with a bunch of other stuff or are they focused on the melee? I'm not one to defend the melee (part of me is hoping it's just clunky due to low character skill but I'm still willing to forgive a little clunk in this game) but there is a lot going on in this game so unfortunately some things won't have the same level of polish that a game focused more on that aspect will have. Try to think of 2077 as the ultimate jack of all trades game :D

this entire thread is premature. we've been told several times that the combat animations change with leveling and point investment.

(again, they have told us combat animations--including visible injury feedback--change over time)
I think this is a fair assessment of the PC's base animations, but that wouldn't influence the enemies, or reaction from attacks, or visuals such as blood, or how stiff/janky the twins looked.

I was watching the gameplay from 2 weeks ago and there wasn't even blood from decapitating an enemy with the mantis blades. The twins might not show damage from a low level PC from the first few hits, but when getting to a KO state?

It may be premature considering we haven't seen the final state, but this is exactly the time to voice these concerns since it isn't the final product (though I wish we'd seen this stuff last year).

The system felt like your basic ARPG maybe because of the lack of unlocked skills and progression. But it worked in my eyes. Just the animations and sound design needed work.

Battle system looks like one of many melee first person systems out there. Nothing new, nothing outright bad. And visual feedback won't change a thing for me. I don't like first person melee because it's never satisfying or comfortable. I play games for many years and I'm yet to see one that I'll like. If a game has melee, the first thing I check is if it has third person perspective. If not - god help me... It's better be brief or simple enough so it doesn't get on my nerves.

Battle system looks like one of many melee first person systems out there. Nothing new, nothing outright bad. And visual feedback won't change a thing for me. I don't like first person melee because it's never satisfying or comfortable. I play games for many years and I'm yet to see one that I'll like. If a game has melee, the first thing I check is if it has third person perspective. If not - god help me... It's better be brief or simple enough so it doesn't get on my nerves.
visual feedback would make the game even more realistic would only bring positive points to the game

visual feedback would make the game even more realistic would only bring positive points to the game
I don't think the game is all that realistic to begin with. Nor a game should strive to be one at all costs. I still have nightmares from Shenmue. Yeah, that game tried to be realistic.

Perhaps more visual feedback can improve it, but I look at something like Overwatch with plenty of first person melee and I don't see how it affects anything. First person melee lived without it for ages.

Top Bottom