Melee Combat Need IMPROVEMENT!

+
Yes an almost unfinished scene/part of the tutorial/prelude stages and if you compare the graphics and shadows to other parts of the b-roll footage or deepdive footage you can tell it doesn't have polish to it, same as many scenes they show.

Very few (if any) games have multiple enemy melee attacks at the same time even games that are full melee games including this gen/new ones (ghosts of Tsushima for example) Most AI doesn't rush you or combine attacks at close range due to animation and other limitations with hitboxes and so on. So thats a bit overstating

- If you watch ALL the footage previous and now, you can tell what scenes and animations are complete and which are not and there is blood and gore as seen previously, and even the pegi ratings and others allude to such, but in some places it will be removed for shows to reach the most amount of people, doesnt mean it doesnt exist.

Also obligitory.
Work in progress

I know the game is in progress but we don't know which job specifically.

For this reason I am asking this question of melee that not only me but many players appreciate and like it regardless of whether it is an RPG or not.

They don't exactly need to punch at the same time but at least face the V and be prepared to react or attack. AI seems to be lost in the fight.

Especially the part of the visual feedback that the guy takes several punches and doesn't even have a black eye / blood dripping.
Post automatically merged:

This would be immersive! I like the idea. You could look at yourself in the inventory screen and see a bruise. Your opponents could get swelling eyes and blood. What if in some conversations NPC's reacted to your face? Like, "Did you get beat up?"
but not just a visual feedback in yourself, in the enemy too after taking a punch.

Last edited:
Isn't the twin fight a boxing mini game? We saw a little bit of hand combat in the 2019 deep dive video here:
I don't think the twin fight a boxing mini game. I think that is the general game melee.

About the gameplay scene of the twins fight was really bad.

-Most of attacks gooing out of sync, unnatural and unrealistic.

-There's NO visual feedback at all, faces are still clean after some punches maybe add black eye or blood dripin.

-The reactions were very slow sometimes they it wasn't any reaction at all, they didn't even are attacking at the same time and bad animation.

I know the game is a RPG I don't expect to be perfect and they are still working in the game but for a realistic game it seems pretty bad. I really hope they fix/improve this so the game can be a huge success because it has a lot of potential to be.

Huge fan of cyberpunk!

So what did you guys think of this agree, disagree ?
Thanks!
About the gameplay scene of the twins fight was really bad.

-Most of attacks gooing out of sync, unnatural and unrealistic.

-There's NO visual feedback at all, faces are still clean after some punches maybe add black eye or blood dripin.

-The reactions were very slow sometimes they it wasn't any reaction at all, they didn't even are attacking at the same time and bad animation.

I know the game is a RPG I don't expect to be perfect and they are still working in the game but for a realistic game it seems pretty bad. I really hope they fix/improve this so the game can be a huge success because it has a lot of potential to be.

Huge fan of cyberpunk!

So what did you guys think of this agree, disagree ?
Thanks!
Cyberpunk's unarmed combat seems to be the almost the same as the punching minigame from Witcher 3 for a game so hyped and that plan to release late 2020 (so a new game) looks ATROCIOUS I hope they fix this LOL,

I don't know if the twin combat is a new gameplay but if it is they really should do something about it.
Still hyped about the game by the way.

Last edited:
I'm full of hopes and wishes. Shame there's no genie here.
It's all good. I have a bunch of Thoughts and Prayers to go along with your hopes and wishes. We got this fam!
😏
I don't think the twin fight a boxing mini game. I think that is the general game melee.

Cyberpunk's unarmed combat seems to be the almost the same as the punching minigame from Witcher 3 for a game so hyped and that plan to release late 2020 (so a new game) looks ATROCIOUS I hope they fix this LOL,

I don't know if the twin combat is a new gameplay but if it is they really should do something about it.
Still hyped about the game by the way.
Careful what you ask for. If its a mini-game or side quest, removing it would be the easiest. It reminded me a lot of rock-em sock-em boxing. I'm guessing the "twins" implant may not have been the top of the line model, or they may not have been playing with a full deck of marbles to start?
It would be more fun if you could change a latency setting for a mini-game where its comically bad because you're comically limited by a setting. better rewards if you can win on "you brain is a nest of gerbils" setting :D :D
To me, this isn't a AI issue, its more an IK (Inverse Kinematics) issue with how models are interacting, animation tracks and other movement foo.
If i'm a weak STR engineer, i want to be able to throw a wrench at them. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball"

Yes an almost unfinished scene/part of the tutorial/prelude stages and if you compare the graphics and shadows to other parts of the b-roll footage or deepdive footage you can tell it doesn't have polish to it, same as many scenes they show.

Also obligitory.
Work in progress
I mean, to me that's a concern. We're talking about a game slated to release two months ago and that was supposedly finished for the most part and just bug fixing and polishing left. If we're seeing unfinished content like that two months after the first release date and coming close to the second one they set, then that's kind of a problem.

Obviously we'll see come November, but this is definitely the time to mention these concerns. Melee to me looks passable for an FPP game. I would have hoped it'd be better than something like RDR2 though, which was primarily a third person game.

I mean, to me that's a concern. We're talking about a game slated to release two months ago and that was supposedly finished for the most part and just bug fixing and polishing left. If we're seeing unfinished content like that two months after the first release date and coming close to the second one they set, then that's kind of a problem.

Obviously we'll see come November, but this is definitely the time to mention these concerns. Melee to me looks passable for an FPP game. I would have hoped it'd be better than something like RDR2 though, which was primarily a third person game.
Maybe that was part of the reason they scrapped TPP?
Also, it may be finished. if its a rarely used mechanic, it may not make the short list for release updates.
EDIT: I agree with you, it does look clunky. It wasn't too distracting for me, but I did notice how the fight seemed scripted, like the first take of a choreographed fight scene.

Last edited:
Maybe that was part of the reason they scrapped TPP?
Also, it may be finished. if its a rarely used mechanic, it may not make the short list for release updates.
I didn't think third person was ever scrapped since AFAIK it was never planned. FPP has been all that's been mentioned since 2018 at least.

IMO it's far from a rarely used mechanic since melee is supposedly a real combat option for the fame.

People think that is not a importante thing because They won't like the combat hand to hand but a guarantee that a lot of people care about this.

They have time enough to at least improve this as I said before of couse that don't need to be perfect just better than we saw it specially the visual faces feedback. The way looks now the guy you punch took 10 punches and looks nothing happened to his face.

Imagine if They released that way in April now I know why they delayed.

Not only does the melee suck but at least in the gameplay I saw the city seems dead almost nobody on the street looks like they are quarantined LOL. In the trailers looked like a alive city but in the gameplay I saw it it looks there is few people in the street.

I rewatched the gameplay again, it is definitely a mini game like the witcher 3 fist fights. And it actually looks pretty great for simple attack block and dodge.

I rewatched the gameplay again, it is definitely a mini game like the witcher 3 fist fights. And it actually looks pretty great for simple attack block and dodge.
So we won't be able to melee anyone on the streets in the game ?

You most likely can, but in this instance you are locked into the minigame mode, see how the control changed when it begins.
So if is not a mini-game you think looks bad ? at least for me doesn't look like a minigame mode I think it is the combat in the game for real.

So if is not a mini-game you think looks bad ? at least for me doesn't look like a minigame mode I think it is the combat in the game for real.
It is definitely not actual melee combat, actual combat would be much more violent, you can do moves like that punch in the throat to stun move shown in the 2019 video.

It is definitely not actual melee combat, actual combat would be much more violent, you can do moves like that punch in the throat to stun move shown in the 2019 video.
...i'm not sure what this means since that punch in the throat was done in the 2019 video, as an example of a higher level character. the tutorial fight with the twins looks corny because it's a tutorial fight. not every tutorial fight scene is going to be Kratos fighting the Hydra or Kratos fighting Baldur (those were just genuinely great initial fights and i refuse to get over them). same as the tutorial braindance looks corny and slow because it's a tutorial.

that throat-punch-knockout in the 2019 video as well as the melee-stun-human-shield are post-upgrade melee abilities. there was visual feedback there (the gangoon you take as a shield even looked genuinely exhausted while you were holding them).

...i'm not sure what this means since that punch in the throat was done in the 2019 video, as an example of a higher level character. the tutorial fight with the twins looks corny because it's a tutorial fight. not every tutorial fight scene is going to be Kratos fighting the Hydra or Kratos fighting Baldur (those were just genuinely great initial fights and i refuse to get over them). same as the tutorial braindance looks corny and slow because it's a tutorial.

that throat-punch-knockout in the 2019 video as well as the melee-stun-human-shield are post-upgrade melee abilities. there was visual feedback there (the gangoon you take as a shield even looked genuinely exhausted while you were holding them).

The quest for that twin fight is "Champion of kabuki", so it is most likely like the fist fight minigame in the witcher 3. It got the same moves just in first person mode.

i know what it is, i'm asking what you mean by 'it's not actual melee combat'? just because it's in a particular context mission makes it not real melee combat? it's likely the first time the player char is introduced to melee combat so V is gonna look like she sucks at it. later-gameplay reveals better melee combat moves, like the throat-stun or -human-shield. why is the tutorial getting so much flack for sucking...things usually suck during the tutorial. again, not every tutorial will have you defeating gods and monsters with flair.

and how the hell do people know they're the same moves transposed to FPP? and how many people here box? do muay thai? capoeira? how many purely distinct ways are there to perform and depict a jab? a left counter? an uppercut? a sidestep? a backstep? it's not that many. perhaps it has less to with transposed move sets and more the universality of somebody putting their fist on your face with velocity. maybe there was literally a moment in the 2019 demo when "melee combat cyberware" was mentioned in relation to expanding the moveset?

What I meant by 'it's not actual melee combat', is that I believe what we see in the twin fight is all there is to it to this minigame.

I don't know if you have played Witcher 3 or not? The fist fight minigame moves are the basic light/heavy attack, block and dodge. That is it. As shown in the twin fight, the button prompt changed into those basic moves.

We don't know what the actual melee combat looks like in real combat situations yet, so people shouldn't judge the melee combat based off of this quest.

We don't know what the actual melee combat looks like in real combat situations yet, so people shouldn't judge the melee combat based off of this quest.
we're on the same page, if this is the summary of your point. i think the twin fight is a sidequest that uses the basic unarmed melee moveset, so it "is" real combat, but it's also purposefully scaled back. but my point is on the same side as yours: we don't know what the full range of moves is in open combat, esp at higher skill levels/unlocked perks.

and how the hell do people know they're the same moves transposed to FPP? and how many people here box? do muay thai? capoeira? how many purely distinct ways are there to perform and depict a jab? a left counter? an uppercut? a sidestep? a backstep? it's not that many.

Wellll...I've done some of those and a lot more of a couple others. There are actually quite a few ways to jab, cross, etc and many ways to depict them. A jab is a jab is a jab, as they say, but people do them fairly differently (depending on style being practiced, strongest early style influence, height, arm length, confidence, aggression) from starting hand position to turning over the shoulder to what degree you extend before retracting, typically decided by engage range, which is in turn decided by your footwork, which itself is actually pretty complex on a move-by-move basis. Even wrist position will vary from fighter to fighter, although within a hopefully small range, as that's a good way to get hurt.

A good melee combat system will be both exciting and gritty - it should feel fast, real and intimate.

Good boxing and MMA games can demonstrate this - or just get out there yourself, you'll see if you haven't already.

CDPR is not trying for this level of fidelity during the fight demonstrated. It was pretty basic and fairly disconnected. Perhaps this will change later.

They can't do a fantastic job of everything, but the melee combat was one of the weakest points in that demo. Probably the weakest.

Top Bottom