Melee Combat Need IMPROVEMENT!

+
I am more on the disagreeable side because:
+ It's a preview build
+ V was a level 1-3 stats in that particular footage
+ Personally, the melee animation actually looks decent enough imo, calling it "BAD" seems to be exaggerating
+ So far we can only judged it visually, we couldn't know how it feels while playing. Some people who got to play preview build said it's decent, while others said need improvements. It's indeed a split. So, I think the concerns are pretty FAIR imo.
+ Tbh, it looks just as good as other FP melee games like "Mirror Edge Catalyst" & "Dying Light" imo. What seems to be missing is the gore or the "omfh" or "satisfying" elements as again it's a hand to hand combat in a low level stats.
+ Personally being optimistic as CDPR already acknowledged some of the feedback, especially with melee combat & they are already in the middle of refining it apparently.

Also, I actually posted my own premise/expectations about Martial arts & melee combat system (years ago) that could work in CP2077 while also have depths if you compare it to gunplay system. Here's my post:

Here's are Dying Light 1 & "upcoming" Dying Light 2 melee combat footage for late comparison:

Dying Light

Dying Light 2

Overall is Bad taking into account all aspects of the gameplay mainly the reactions of the fight NPCs and the visual feedback that you did not comment that the guy takes 7 punches and the guy remains the same.

The guys seem lost in the fight while facing the V, while one is fighting the V and dodging nothing (dodging the air) , the other seems to be lost because we only saw 30 seconds of fight.

Regarding the level of V, it doesn't change the fact of the gameplay needs improvement, I think in the máx level the animations will be the same.

PS: It doesn't have to be the best fighting game but it definitely needs work IMO.

Last edited:
I am more on the disagreeable side because:
+ It's a preview build
+ V was a level 1-3 stats in that particular footage
+ Personally, the melee animation actually looks decent enough imo, calling it "BAD" seems to be exaggerating
+ So far we can only judged it visually, we couldn't know how it feels while playing. Some people who got to play preview build said it's decent, while others said need improvements. It's indeed a split. So, I think the concerns are pretty FAIR imo.
+ Tbh, it looks just as good as other FP melee games like "Mirror Edge Catalyst" & "Dying Light" imo. What seems to be missing is the gore or the "omfh" or "satisfying" elements as again it's a hand to hand combat in a low level stats.
+ Personally being optimistic as CDPR already acknowledged some of the feedback, especially with melee combat & they are already in the middle of refining it apparently.

Also, I actually posted my own premise/expectations about Martial arts & melee combat system (years ago) that could work in CP2077 while also have depths if you compare it to gunplay system. Here's my post:

Here's are Dying Light 1 & "upcoming" Dying Light 2 melee combat footage for late comparison:

Dying Light

Dying Light 2

I hope they refine especially the reaction on the NPCs on the unarmed combat at least for me that was my biggest complain about it and as mentioned on the original post the visual feedback would be more immersive to the game not just in the people who you are fighting to but in yourself because imagine if you fight someone and go to the mirror or take a Picture it would be awesome if you had bruises, blood, black eye etc.

Even suggested in some post back that it would be nice if the NPCs noticed this on V. (it would be more immersive)
Post automatically merged:

This would be immersive! I like the idea. You could look at yourself in the inventory screen and see a bruise. Your opponents could get swelling eyes and blood. What if in some conversations NPC's reacted to your face? Like, "Did you get beat up?"

this was the post about it.
Post automatically merged:

About the gameplay scene of the twins fight was really bad.

-Most of attacks gooing out of sync, unnatural and unrealistic.

-There's NO visual feedback at all, faces are still clean after some punches maybe add black eye and blood dripin.

-The reactions were very slow, sometimes had no reaction at all, they didn't even are attacking at the same time (one of the twins seems to be lost while the other one is attacking) feels really weird and bad animation. On top he is dodging for no reason.

I know the game is a RPG I don't expect to be perfect and they are still working in the game but for a realistic game it seems pretty bad. I really hope they fix/improve this so the game can be a huge success because it has a lot of potential to be.

Huge fan of cyberpunk!

So what did you guys think of this agree, disagree ?
Thanks!
Ajaun44 Add this t^he V face feedback for your original post.

This would be immersive! I like the idea. You could look at yourself in the inventory screen and see a bruise. Your opponents could get swelling eyes and blood. What if in some conversations NPC's reacted to your face? Like, "Did you get beat up?"

Just did!

Bottleblonde I put your idea with your name at the beginning of the post to give more visibility but if you need it I can remove it. Thank you!

Last edited:
No matter how good or bad the melee combat would be, it is not going to be the element that "makes or breaks" this game. While it is cool to have enjoyable combat, it is not the games focus. I can't believe this would be the reason to delay the game further. They can keep improving it in updates post-launch.

Judging from the gameplay videos, melee seems "good enough" already. Sure NPC combat AI is one thing that is nigh-impossible to be perfect, but we will live with it.

No matter how good or bad the melee combat would be, it is not going to be the element that "makes or breaks" this game. While it is cool to have enjoyable combat, it is not the games focus. I can't believe this would be the reason to delay the game further. They can keep improving it in updates post-launch.

Judging from the gameplay videos, melee seems "good enough" already. Sure NPC combat AI is one thing that is nigh-impossible to be perfect, but we will live with it.
This

And also I've heard some positive feedback where its deep enough that you have blocks parrying combos if I'm not mistaken. Punching people in the throat with gorilla arms.
Ripping open metal doors like you're Kratos or something

I made a comment on YouTube about this yesterday about this.
For me personally it is a big thing.
I prefer melee combat over long range as I find it most enjoyable.
When doing hand to hand combat in Red dead redemption 2 and even grand theft Auto V there is visual damage from fighting.
I would expect a game of this calibre to have visual damage as well.
It would seem silly for this to be missing out on something like this.
Level should have nothing to do with that.
People say that the person was a low level when fighting the twins and that's why there was no visual damage, well the player beat the twins so I'm guessing that their level would have also been low so therefore there should have been visual damage.
Making excuses as to why there is no visual damage is just not good enough.
Don't ruin it for other people just because you are willing to suffice with whatever.
I will be paying full price for this game so I would expect it to at least have some visual damage like bruising and blood on the face when I get into a melee fight.
It's not a big ask.

I have seen games from the last decade with a better melee.
There aren't many games that do FPP melee justice, period. Cyberpunk 2077's attempting to implement multiple combat options other than HTH/Melee. All things considered it looks fine. Some visible marks showing accumulated damage would be a nice addition. With all that said I do think it will improve by release.

When V makes those slashes with the mantis blade it doesn't even connect. Also, when he's using the mantis blade and katana they are no slash or stab wounds. They have melee animations but that doesn't really answer the issue.

When V makes those slashes with the mantis blade it doesn't even connect. Also, when he's using the mantis blade and katana they are no slash or stab wounds. They have melee animations but that doesn't really answer the issue.

For the Katana it's actually normal. With a Katana you slice things, you don't hack them like with a normal sword.

Melee combat is CDPR's Achilles heel.

To be fair, gameplay has typically been their weakest point.

Not to say it's been bad - I've enjoyed all three of the styles in W1, W2 and 3, for different reasons.

Ironic. Typically story and setting are the weakest in video games, but CDPR are the masters of that.

I think, personally, it's because unlike with their story and setting ( we're doing it our way, mature story, few compromises) they are such huge gamers, they are trying to find gameplay methods that as many people will enjoy as possible.

Thus, non-lethal playthroughs (in the Dark Future!), multiple pathways (life is just not like that), loot levels, enemy levels, interactive melee instead of Deus Ex style cutscene, driving gameplay...you know, as much as possible for everyone.

And although I'm sure it will all be good, the odds on it also all being excellent aren't great.

As a sometime fighter myself, I can tell you that fighting, for real, is confusing and scary and often awkward. A lot of your choices are based on kinesthetic sense, proprioception. You -feel- what is happening and where things are, not see them. Low kicks, counter-grapples, throws, defenses, etc.

Super hard to put that in a game.

Instead, melee combat games typically rely on the "cheat" of perspective or visual indicators.

Melee is not great it need work, and that they start to work on it now 3 month before game coming out, is not great sign.

@Nikola_Nesic y--you think they're just starting work on it? they're tweaking it since they've opened it up for QA & reviews (reviews esp, since those better reflect average user critique). The game is done. They're tweaking visual feedback for melee, that's the brunt of it.

It was from one of dev saying how they are not happy with melee and how they start working on it now, you can see it from here
02:52 is Cyberpunk part.
My advice. Better read original interview, than watch clickbait video. Quote from interview.

We’re still a couple of months before release, and I’m actually right now working on melee. We’re spending a lot of time trying to perfect that, and we basically, we’re not 100 percent happy, mostly with visual feedback on the hits, on the melee. So, we’re still working on it. We’re continuing to work on it. And I’m happy to say that, even right now, it’s much better than it was.

Top Bottom