Melee Combat Need IMPROVEMENT!

+
Game supposed to come out 2 time already, and they still not happy with melee, that tell you how bad the melee is.

"We’re still a couple of months before release, and I’m actually right now working on melee." that sound like they started to work on melee this month, interview is from august 10, so even if they do just Visual for melee or reworking full melee system, that don't sound good.

Again game supposed to come out already, what mess was melee then ? when even now is not good and they are not happy.

Me ? lol from first NCW1 many said melee is not good, few youtubers told that even developers say melee is not good, also what benefit i have if people start panicking?

All the improvement it needs is lower skill meaning lower attack speed and damage multipliers.

And sure, contact response from NPC's.

You're using Mirror's Edge that has a sole gameplay loop based on melee (and parkour) and compare it to a game like Cyberpunk 2077? I get that everyone wants to see improvements, nothing wrong with that at all, so do I, however, this is too much.

In most cases comparing games of similar genre(s) can be a feat of frustration down to personal preference, it's an entirely different situation when we're trying to compare every single game that does X, Y, and Z better than Cyberpunk 2077 when from what I've seen, these are games with limited, focused mechanics, that's a failure on your part of having unreachable expectations. An exercise in futility.

Are people sincerely expecting HTH/Melee to be as good, if not better than games that have those particular combat styles as either their primary focus, or a very large part of their gameplay? Even games purely about HtH are far from perfect - Fight night/UFC exhibit similar feedback disconnects, go look.

There aren't many games out there with what I'd consider good-great FPP Melee and/or HtH these come to mind (That I've played) - Condemned: Criminal Origins/Bloodshot, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay , Dead Island, Dying Light, Dark Messiah of M&M, Shadow Warrior 2013/SW2.
Honorable mentions that I have not played - Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Mordhau, Chivalry.

Slightly improved feedback, animations with some visible damage during HtH and personally I will be delighted. Anyone expecting more? “You mistook the stars reflected in a pond for the night sky.”

And a way to know your reach

I’m not sure you have the time to consider whether your hit’ll be an inch short or not. It looks too fast for that. So... point-blank -> punch-punch -> dodge and strafe — the basic combo — or something to that effect should be sufficient.

But a reticle ”highlighting” / ”dimming out” should suffice as an indication of range, if needed.

Last edited:
I was already content with what was shown I also believe that in nc:w episode 2 the melee already looked improved compared to the nc:w ep 1

Still looks awful. Here's the following timestamps for 'Gangs of night City'

1:22 (How lovely, bullet sponge Valentino goon running towards V kamikaze style, lovely a.i:facepalm:)

1:25 - 1:27 mins (Valentino Knife wielders)

1:45 mins - V walking with Sledgehammer whilst being shot, no bullet hit detection, V's arm stays static

1.48 mins (V blocking 6th Street go0n who is wielding a crowbar) - no hit detection or block stun ?!

2:42 mins (Hit detection weak when V parries animal goon)

2:48 min (Female animal kick gets 0 feedback from V, also V doesn't even initiate a blocking animation?)

3:07 (V does not actively try to block the bullets, Katana stays static yet seemigly deflects bullet, 0 animation)

3:15 ( Tyger goon trying to strike V does not look bad)

3:16 (once again V keeps Katana in a static state whilst trying to defend bullets, not even trying to swipe them or something)

Game will be gold most likely in 1 months time and out in less than 60 days.

I really like how Kingdom come deliverance manadged it's melee combat system !

I think that, to improve the already existing system, we need a locking system, so player can vary his strikes with the mouse or sticks.
We should also have options with let's say 'R' key, dashes and crouch, such as thrusts, dashed attacks and grabs, so we won't need finisher and have stylish kill anyway ;)

We can imagine perks that allow to perform grabs with a weapon in hand !

Grabs would act like transition stance that allows you to 1. knock enemy off making him loose health or 2. choke him if he is weaker, has his stamina bar depleated or has low health, acting just like a stealth grab (It would work way better with hability to still shoot and use an enemy as an human shield as in Deus Ex or Splinter cell) , 3. disarm him, or 4. disengage grab and therefore pushing your opponent in a direction far from you.
And an option to disengage from grabs (perhaps by spamming direction key or a mini game) and perhaps reverse grabs.

Grabs would be performed from really close distance and interrupted by any hit except perhaps from continuous damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom