Mens Lounge

+
Any one got tips for someone who is just starting? I am doing some (just starting >.>) basic fitness to loose some weight and increase my fitness. But if I could somehow combine the weight (fat) loss and gain a bit of muscle that would be great.

Diet. Losing fat is mostly, (75-90%) in the kitchen. There are many good calorie control methods around, but basically, reduce shit carbs to low or none, separate healthy carbs from healthy fats, aim to have your target body mass in pounds in grams of protein per day and then work out.

Be . Consistent. Aim for 1-2 pounds mass loss per week. You;ll see faster loss at first, some of that will be water. Aim for a 6 month and 1 year timescale. Which leads us to:

Set goals! In six months I will weigh...in six months my deadlift should be...

Work on those goals. A scale is not a bad start, but as Bloth says, a tape measure is better, or pictures. Understand why you are doing it. There are three main reasons people alter their fitness plan from whatever to whatever:

1. Most common - they want to look sexier. That's it, don't kid yourself. See it as what it is and work on it. This means you want to cut fat and accentuate certain muscles. So, get a good diet, stick to it, pick a cardio you don't hate for if the diet slows, and get some lifts going. I did this for awhile, it a 4 pack, decided I didn't care all that much and went back to heavy lifting. It has a major, MAJOR self confidence and feel-good-about-yourself bonus. Do not underestimate the power of a good body to make everything else in your world okay-er.

2. Health. Often at a doctor or spouse' order. Lose. The Weight. Or die. Or get sick. Whatever. Sometimes it's injury recovery. Whichever it is, again, diet and very specific exercises. Start slow. Research. Then move to 1 or 3.

3. Fitness! Athleticism or power. This also begins with diet, but it could well be more food, not less. Your exercises will be specific to your sport and will also include a good grounding in general lifting. Powerlifting is my hobby, for example, because I like the iron.

Been meaning to get back into shape myself but I've dropped all my hobbies. Don't climb anymore, hike only occasionally, hunting is a pita nowadays unless you have connections. Never thought I'd get to the point I'd have to motivate myself to go out and do stuff. I want to be back in college again.

*cries in beer*

To be honest that's one of the reason I still work out, i'd be a right fat bastard wi' all grub and grog I consume, but training keeps me if not slim, within reasonable shape. Got a bit of a gut, but i'm not really bothered about it, and i'm too ugly to be vain. Some o lads I work out wi' do all the protein, complex chain carbs, skinless chicken and rice in little tupperware boxes thing, but I can't be arsed.

Edit: Personally I like me chicken wi' skin...and feathers...and raw...erm.

Last edited:
Hmmm... what if I really like pizza with chips?

Work out some more. As I said, losing weight is basically about burning more than you eat. Within reason that is. I'm not eating all that healthy myself, but as long as I do some sports, I don't get fat.

There's no point in crippling your mood and motivation by slavishly sticking to an optimized diet. Consider it as a guideline, be knowledgable about food and know how much you're deviating from the guideline and what the consequences probably are.

Sure, just let me finish this really unhealthy food I'm eating.

I think I'll go not exercise after that and eat... cake! With ice-cream! Ice-cream cake!

Sure, just let me finish this really unhealthy food I'm eating.

I think I'll go not exercise after that and eat... cake! With ice-cream! Ice-cream cake!
Boring
You need some exercise...
Follow this guide to a nice kitchen exercise...

Make 2 cakes in a round pan. hollow out cake and eat the insides.
Now stuff cake with ice-cream put together to form a nice ball of cake filled with ice-cream and freeze.
Make beer-batter: 2 parts flour 1 part sugar 1 egg and fill up with beer till it's sticky. Drink the rest of the beer!
roll ice-cream filled cake through beer batter. Then through a mixture of cornflakes sugar and cinnamon.
Freeze again.

Heat lots of oil to 180°C deep fry crunchy ice-cream filled cake for 1-2 minutes.. Just needs to brown a bit and become extra crunchy without melting the ice-cream
Top off with hot chocolate sauce and whipped cream.
Maybe if you are insane a single strawberry to make it look healthy. I recommend giving the strawberry to someone else.

Deliciousness of food is measured in calories...
And honestly you'll burn at least an additional 100 calories while making this...:ice:

My only real issue used to be taking the time to stay healthy. I didn't want anything other than to get home and game. And screw preparing a decent meal, ordering a pizza and scarfing it when it got here meant more game time. Back then I was working at a retail store, though, running around hauling 40 pounds worth of stuff from one end of the store to the other all day. I never got too big or felt too bad.

Then I started working at a computer desk all day. I would still love to do nothing but game in my free time, but I have to make myself get out and do stuff to keep a good weight and not have to worry about blood pressure issues. Not that I mind, I like hiking and cardio and all... Although asthma keeps me from really pushing myself. And I actually really love vegetables and fruits. Moreso than greasy fast food. Just takes time to prepare better stuff and keep fresher food around. Unfortunately sometimes days at a time pass before I get to sit and game... Getting old kinda blows sometimes.

Top Bottom