Merchants of Ofir Expansion Is Live!

+
This is really THE worst release date you could choose. Has anyone ever thought about people needing the last day of the season to ascend? This release basically broke my climb to pro-ladder, literally one victory before pro-rank...

• Pitfall Trap ability changed to: Ambush: After your opponent plays a card, split damage equal to its provision cost between all enemy units.
Why do you keep changing things? There was nothing wrong with Pitfall Trap, do you even have time to play your own game?
I think the old concept was too much in a corner and needed a rework to work better and maybe be even expanded with more traps in the future.
For me atleast Serpent trap sounds like a clear upgade, because the playe destroys the highest unit no matter how strong the special card was. This leads to another effect. If the opponent knows/suspects a serpent trap and has exactly 1 special card in his hand, just discarding it, won't be the best choice everytime anymore. The same with 2 special cards and the order of play. That seems to me to make the play against trap decks a lot more dynamic and a lot less oppressive, which is a good thing in my opinion.
The same with Pitfall Trap. You can't just play your most useless card against it, to negate it. Now the opponent has to think a lot more.

I hated the existing Traps, so I am totally cool with this nerf (Beta Ambush cards were so much fair and overall better and fun to play with or against). I bet Greatswords would love to have this new card, though.

Does Saer Qu'an (the new tiger card) remind anyone else of Shere Khan? :think:

I can't say I like the instant glow that rare/epic/legendary cards now have when opening kegs. I really enjoyed the surprise element, as small as it was.

Thanks for great christmas gift.

Most cards are realy good, I had issues with Matta Hu'uri. I thought that it's auto include in every deck, but I'm not sure anymore...

One suggestion: Why don't you utilize our faction ambasadors ( or other community members )? You could make each month sessions with them and discuss needed meta changes. Even broadcast it publicly.
I beg you to start working with our top community members.
BTW It would be nice that faction ambasadors would receive faction related ornaments for free, for example Naglafar Board for OceanMud : P

I hope someone from CDPR Gwent will read this.
Greetings.

Last edited:
I did like the new approach of releasing the new expansion. No reveal card season, no relying on streamers to hype etc. I do prefer cards to be release in a chunck like you did. The impact in the meta is stronger and there is way more experimentation.

I haven't played the game during in the past meta. I bought the cards but frankly could not stand defenders, armor, multiple cards per turn or die scenarios. The new cards seem to move away from this and I appreciate it. Yesterday I faced nothing but people experimenting and had a blast.

Gwent is a great game when you can foresee what your opponent is trying to do and have the ability to counter it. Having 2-3 super moves that everyone and their mother is playing is a bad meta.

On a side note, the graphics are better than the previous expansion but still not on the same level as Crimson Curse.

I suspect they had no idea how to fix the lack of trap interaction with SY cards.
I don't know what you have in mind, I played a trap deck and I can't understand what this changes.

I think the old concept was too much in a corner and needed a rework to work better and maybe be even expanded with more traps in the future.
The same with Pitfall Trap. You can't just play your most useless card against it, to negate it. Now the opponent has to think a lot more.
They could expand traps with a new card, they didn't have to change a good card.
If someone letted an opponent play the most useless card that was just a mistake or miscalculation.
Pitfall trap was the only way to deal with defenders or some other cards.
Serpent trap was useless most of the times, you had to play against certain decks like Nilfgaard to say it was worth including it, so I understand it had to change.

Last edited:
Maybe these were bugs. I once played Incinerating trap against Yghern that had 2 armor and passed the turn. The armor was destroyed but the total sum of unit power didn't change though Yghern died at the passing of the turn.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I have to admit, this expansion is actually pretty good.

Everyone is trying the new stuff, which is great because a lot of these new decks arent control heavy where everything you put is instantly removed. Even MO Deathwish and NG Poison seem bearable, compared to NR never ending charges.

However, the new scenarios are problematic. Thei idea is super cool, but we're back to binary artefact removal times, and its almost guaranteed players are using them since they can generate tons of value over their provision. I also noticed really good players are using their leader ability to immediately advance scenario to ch.1, offsetting losses in case the opponent has artefact removal.
I lost twice when i had korathi heatwave on hand, ready for the scenario, but when i could use it was already on ch.1 and it would be a waste.

Im using a crazy Shupe NG deck (no poison), and a Vampire/ Beast swarm hybrid to get my Dethlaff mastery, and its undefeated for now.

(EDIT) Also using a Brouver artefacts deck i used to complete a daily quest but its actually quite decent, although doesnt use new cards...

Last edited:
What the hell are you guys thinking, not announcing the expansion at all? 2 weeks notice for Iron Judgment was lame but this? I had 0 ore stocked up. Don't get me wrong, new and quality content is appreciated, but some heads up would be as well.

Fantastic work with the new Artworks!!! Its great, how you expand the witcher-world in a respectfull and interesting way. I would love to See all of this Characters and Monsters in a new Witcher- RPG (Witcher 4) :)
Thank you! And the Merchants of ofir-Music is awesome!!!

Here's a thought: first add new traps, then nerf old ones to oblivion. Not the other way around.

Instead you play the most cheap card in terms of provision, which is equal to the most useless. Because the lower the provision, the weaker the card.
And who cares about 1 point split damage, really? Because you really need a unique situation to deal more.

Not to mention the trap archetype just lost its best finisher which could counter the enemy finisher.

Last edited:
Top Bottom