Mermaids vs sirens?

+
Mermaids vs sirens?

I've stumbled upon this confusing remark from the Witcher 3 artbook (page 181):

Sirens are bloodthirsty, treacherous creatures that lure naïve travelers in close with their illusory female forms and then, when escape is impossible, transform into hideous monsters and tear their unfortuante victims to shreds. These creatures are commonly confused with mermaids, which are in fact a mostly peaceful race of underwater humanoids. These are quite easy to distinguish, however, because the more deadly sirens have large, bat-line wings that lift them into the air and fold up when swimming.

So according to this, Sh'eenaz is a mermaid, and from different species than in-game sirens? I don't recall such distinction in the books, where she is called a siren. Is it a consistent view among game writers, or it's some kind of contradictory comment?

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

It depends on the translation - in many languages there is no distinction between mermaid and siren (some variant of the word "siren" is used for both). That's probably the reason why Sh'eenaz was classified as a "siren" in some translations.
So yeah, the artbook is correct - she's a mermaid, those pesky flying creatures are sirens. ;)

Well, in the original, Sh'eenaz is called syrenka:

Syrenka wynurzyła się z wody do połowy ciała i gwałtownie, ostro zachlapała dłońmi po powierzchni. Geralt stwierdził, że ma piękne, wręcz doskonałe piersi. Efekt psuł jedynie kolor - brodawki były ciemnozielone, a aureole wokół nich tylko nieco jaśniejsze. Zwinnie dopasowując się do nadbiegającej fali, syrenka wygięła się wdzięcznie, strzepnęła mokrymi, seledynowymi włosami i zaśpiewała melodyjnie.

I doubt though Sapkowski intended that distinction. How are sirens called in the Polish version of the game?

Hm. I just checked the Polish version of the artbook, and there it makes some more sense:

Syreny
Krwiożercze i podstępne syreny ze Skellige, zwane także nixami, wabią
swym niewinnym wyglądem naiwnych podróżnych, by w ostatniej chwili
zaatakować nieszczęśnika i rozedrzeć go na strzępy ostrymi szponami.
Istoty te mylone są nagminnie z prawdziwymi syrenami, będącymi w grun-
cie rzeczy raczej spokojnym ludem. Łatwo można je odróżnić po parze
błoniastych skrzydeł, która umożliwia im dość sprawny lot, a złożona nie
przeszkadza w pływaniu.
Tworząc projekty drapieżnych syren, inspirowaliśmy się wyglądem ryb
morskich z rodziny ptaszorowatych, zwanych popularnie latającymi ry-
bami, posiadającymi silnie rozwinięte płetwy piersiowe, umożliwiające im
krótki lot nad powierzchnią wody.

I.e. there are "real sirens", which are not as agressive, and these aggressive ones are also known as "nixa".

Top Bottom