Meta Diversity

+
Im just going to link to this reddit post which has playrates in pro rank, where people are usually try hards and don't play off meta decks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/l4m3gj
As you can see there are at least 5 really strong decks with some others probably getting less attention althought they are still really strong (like movement, even viy doesn't have that high of a winrate right now I think people are bored by it.) The thing that surprised me was that NR witchers was by far the most played deck. Then Wotw came out everyone said that NR got the worst cards but in the right hands that deck is extremely tough to beat in a short round, long round even a card down. Thing is that I barely see anyone complain about it here because it doesn't feel as oppressive to play against as something like viy or lockdown.

You might say "things are worse lower on the ladder" but my experience has actually been the opposite. The lower on the ladder you go a) the more variety of decks you see (partially because people dont know what their doing but also because you don't get punished as hard for trying new things) and b) the easier it is to play against people who are net decking because they are not as competent at piloting their decks.

Am I tired of playing against lockdown? When Im playing cache yes, when Im playing assimilate Im like "easy win." Am I tired of playing against viy? When Im playing assimilate yes but when Im playing cache Im like "easy win". You could say that is the binary nature of the game but unfortunately I don't know if a game like this can be completely balanced. If your goal is to have fun then accept that you are going to lose sometimes, if your goal is to tryhard and rank up play the decks than punish what you are playing against a lot instead of being like "why doesn't my favorite deck have a chance at beating everything".

Can I please point out that there are plenty of players who aren't interested in 'the meta' or playing competitively? I find it really frustrating that the devs seem focused solely on the competitive players rather than the people who play for fun, or just like trying out creative ideas.

Cards like Oneiromancy have become almost necessary because of the power creep, plus then there's cards like Viy (which I detest). Devotion was a fun idea but those cards are almost useless because you face decks that mean you need Korathi Heatwave, Oneiromancy, etc. just to survive long enough to play any of them. I like the idea of echo and I'm disappointed they didn't have some more normal level cards that echo. You could even combine the different mechanics, like 'Adrenaline x: Echo. They did that with The Winter Queen by giving her "Devotion: Thrive".

An idea that could work to give creative players an outlet is a game mode where you can only use bronze cards. That would also work for newer players who haven't yet got enough of the gold ones to enjoy playing decks that have them all.

Can I please point out that there are plenty of players who aren't interested in 'the meta' or playing competitively? I find it really frustrating that the devs seem focused solely on the competitive players rather than the people who play for fun, or just like trying out creative ideas.

Cards like Oneiromancy have become almost necessary because of the power creep, plus then there's cards like Viy (which I detest). Devotion was a fun idea but those cards are almost useless because you face decks that mean you need Korathi Heatwave, Oneiromancy, etc. just to survive long enough to play any of them. I like the idea of echo and I'm disappointed they didn't have some more normal level cards that echo. You could even combine the different mechanics, like 'Adrenaline x: Echo. They did that with The Winter Queen by giving her "Devotion: Thrive".

An idea that could work to give creative players an outlet is a game mode where you can only use bronze cards. That would also work for newer players who haven't yet got enough of the gold ones to enjoy playing decks that have them all.
Nothing, and I really mean nothing coming from the developers or the game itself can change player behavior. There will always be a better deck, a better card, and as long as the good majority of players are interested in quick and easy wins (often without having to think and come up with something unique), the story will be the same. People will just drift towards the solution that brings them the best gains with the least investment.
Don't blame the game, blame player/human mentality.

Or even better, just face it and adapt.

Last edited:
Nothing, and I really mean nothing coming from the developers or the game itself can change player behavior. There will always be a better deck, a better card, and as long as the good majority of players are interested in quick and easy wins (often without having to think and come up with something unique), the story will be the same. People will just drift towards the solution that brings them the best gains with the least investment.
Don't blame the game, blame player/human mentality.

Or even better, just face it and adapt.
It's on the game to have the mechanics and diversity so that players can use different decks and still be successful.

It's on the game to have the mechanics and diversity so that players can use different decks and still be successful.
Which they absolutely can nowadays. At least 2-3 fully competitve deck variants per faction, with some having over 5+ even.
Pretty diverse if you ask me.

The game has a lot of competitive decks, from skellige warriors to Shupe's; another thing is people prefering to use the same deck as everyone just because they give easy wins, but if you search you will find material enough to work with and create something able yo reach victories.

Gyg

Forum regular
TLG meta has 19 decks in all three tiers with more than half in tier 2. Not a bad state if you ask me.

There are only 2 ST decks being played, one centered around Gord pointslam (been around for months) and the other centered around Gezras (at least this one is somewhat new since it came with the expansion)... pretty lame imo.
The graph supposedly shows "Elves" but idk where was this information taken from since I have maybe seen 1 Elf deck in the last 2 months.

There are only 2 ST decks being played, one centered around Gord pointslam (been around for months) and the other centered around Gezras (at least this one is somewhat new since it came with the expansion)... pretty lame imo.
The graph supposedly shows "Elves" but idk where was this information taken from since I have maybe seen 1 Elf deck in the last 2 months.
Just a guess: deadeye ambush is an alternate leader for Gezras decks as three quick deadeyes add considerable value to Gezras and Gaetan in a short round

Since the official WotW deck/played statistics from last month are available for discussion, I'd continue this topic over there. A lot more reliable data that one.

Top Bottom