Metal gear solid v! Tpp & gz

+

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mgs-5-ground-zeroes-pc-sales-solid-konami-says/1100-6425119/

@eliharel Yeah, that's fine. The author of the article said Kojima pretty much confirmed a lot of his theories, but of course, the whole meta-thing isn't for everyone. I'm personally a little bit disappointed with the direction the series took with MGS3 and onwards, which doesn't mean they are bad games. At all. But I was enjoying the meta commentary he had going in MGS2.

As for Big Boss, he's supposed to become a villain at some point. Part of me hopes we'll see him descend into madness, or whatever happens there. I'd really like to play as a well-written "villain" type of character for once, and I feel Kojima would be able to pull it off with BB, especially considering the way fandom thinks of him right now.

@Docttj That's some great news, I hope MGS returns to PC for good.

@eliharel Yeah, that's fine. The author of the article said Kojima pretty much confirmed a lot of his theories, but of course, the whole meta-thing isn't for everyone. I'm personally a little bit disappointed with the direction the series took with MGS3 and onwards, which doesn't mean they are bad games. At all. But I was enjoying the meta commentary he had going in MGS2.
And what's your opinion about MGS4?

As for Big Boss, he's supposed to become a villain at some point. Part of me hopes we'll see him descend into madness, or whatever happens there. I'd really like to play as a well-written "villain" type of character for once, and I feel Kojima would be able to pull it off with BB, especially considering the way fandom thinks of him right now.
What does the fandom think of him right now?

And what's your opinion about MGS4?
MGS4 is wish fulfillment of everything fans have whined asked for over the years, all with a twist, of course. Kojima had this period between MGS1 and MGS4 where he complained about 'being forced' to make MGS games, although he wanted to quit after the first one. Whatever, he made the games, then complained about the complainers. I don't think he was happy about the hate Raiden received, and he received a lot of it. So, MGS4 is Kojima saying, "You want more? I'll give you more." and, like an evil genie, decided to fulfill many wishes. Fans wanted to play as Solid Snake again and sure, there he was, but he was old, broken, and dying. Fans wanted the cool MGS2 ending ninja Raiden, and there he was - but he wasn't playable. Fans wanted more Raiden/Vamp subtext... zing, done. Otacon gets a girl, finally! Then she dies, sad times. A lot of beloved characters return, one way or another, the plot is absolutely bonkers, Kojima ends up retconing anything and everything and basically crapping over everything fans held dear. It's a mess, but you know what, it's an enjoyable kind of mess. A lot of it pisses me off, a lot of it entertains me. Kojima showed a ton of self-awareness, as well as general awareness of the fans and what they appreciated in every installment of the series. The ending sequence (the present-time Shadow Moses level) is one of the most amazing and memorable pieces in gaming.

What does the fandom think of him right now?
If MGS2 Raiden was meant to represent the average plain guy, then Big Boss was created to fill the fantasy-fulfillment void Solid Snake left when he decided to become Lt. Plissken. He's considered the badassest of the badasses and held in high regard. Which is why I'm curious to see what would happen if Kojima did decide to take the "playing a villain" route and make him completely unlikeable by the end of PP. This is all speculation on my part, ofc, if there's anything MGS games taught me, it is that you cannot predict what a MGS game is going to do. :p

edit: Remember what I said about the goddamn funny hats?

Last edited:
Croc Cap might return. The MGO twitter said their favorite hat was the Croc Cap.

---------- Updated at 08:29 PM ----------

Bandages? Could they be changing the health system? This is kinda weird, unless it's scripted.

View attachment 10619

Or a bug?

---------- Updated at 11:34 PM ----------

Also, big news I didn't see

http://mgoforums.com/content/169-mgsv-final-release-day-decided-internally.html

Attachments

• bandage.jpg
    bandage.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
My brother told me about a funny conversation he saw on facebook today...

1st Commenter: MGSV is the one next-gen game we know will live up to the hype!!
2nd Commenter: You stupid console peasants never learn your lesson do you? Watch_Dogs, Destiny, AC Unity, The Order 1886...
1st Commenter: You're the one who is dumb!!!! This is Metal Gear Solid we're talking about.
4th Comment: He has a point. After all... The Phantom Menace happened.

In conclusion, if MGSV The Phantom Pain is as bad as StarWars The Phantom Menace I think I will die inside.

@Docttj Yeah the open world looks huge, both Afghanistan and Africa, but now let's see how they will populate it. My biggest fear with Phantom Pain right now is that the open world will feel empty. I mean it's not like a RPG like witcher 3 with bunch of diverse locations. So far Afghanistan looks like desert with few deserted villages / military bases whatever put in and Africa like huge jungle.

I'd be afraid that Kojima is sacrificing quality for quantity, but this is Kojima we are talking about, he will for sure manage to make it awesome.

@Docttj Yeah the open world looks huge, both Afghanistan and Africa, but now let's see how they will populate it. My biggest fear with Phantom Pain right now is that the open world will feel empty. I mean it's not like a RPG like witcher 3 with bunch of diverse locations. So far Afghanistan looks like desert with few deserted villages / military bases whatever put in and Africa like huge jungle.

I'd be afraid that Kojima is sacrificing quality for quantity, but this is Kojima we are talking about, he will for sure manage to make it awesome.
Actually I'm a bit wrong about what I said. It seems there is a free roam option.

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=16403

During Episode 26 of Kojima Station, Hideo Kojima gave some more insight in how the missions in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain will work in relation to the open world gameplay.

The game director explained you can go anywhere in free roam, however once you’re in a mission, there’s a specific mission area. If you leave that area during the mission, you fail said mission. When you’re free roaming, you can go around the game world freely doing side quests and other things.

"I think the term 'open world' has taken on a life of its own and caused misunderstandings," the head of Kojima Productions said in an interview published in this week's Famitsu magazine. "Of course it's not going to be a game where Snake fishes all day or changes jobs and pursues a different life. The game map is an open world and you have freedom in that way, but in MGS5, it's clear what you're doing. That may be 'I have to help someone' or 'Destroy this thing' or 'Go gather intelligence at this spot'. Some missions will have time limits, too."

Also, there's this http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/12/mgs-5-the-phantom-pain-is-open-world-not-a-sandbox/

“This is a game that is not necessarily what you would call sandbox where you can go wherever you want and do whatever you want, like in GTA,” he said. “This is not the way this game works. For our game, you get in, you accomplish a mission and you get out. These missions are very simple; destroying something, arresting someone, killing someone, recovering something. It’s really simple in that regard.

“Players have all the freedom in the world to think about what method, or what route, what time of the day will they choose to get in and accomplish their mission. During these missions there’s a story that’s developing. But there’s a limit to what the player can do when away from this mission because it’s clear when there’s a mission to complete.

“When we say we’re an open-world game it makes it sound like it’s trying to be the same as what [Rockstar] are creating. But this is very different – I’m trying to do a free infiltration game. What Rockstar has created and the world they have created is super impressive, and actually when I saw the PS4 version [of GTA 5] few days ago I got depressed again. But this is not game design-related it’s just me. The quality that they showed in the PS4 trailer was really impressive.

“In that regard, [MGS5] it’s completely different to GTA 5 in which you can do whatever you want. In MGS 5, you have missions and I try to provide players with as much fun as possible in the freedom they have for how to complete their mission.”

Last edited:
I keep hearing how this series is legendary and all that, and it's got my interest piqued. If I were to want to get into the MGS series, what would be the best game to start with? If it helps, I tend to love games where you can influence the story; I know it can't be done here though, so I'm just looking for a damn good story. Should I start with MGS1 and play upwards?

I keep hearing how this series is legendary and all that, and it's got my interest piqued. If I were to want to get into the MGS series, what would be the best game to start with? If it helps, I tend to love games where you can influence the story; I know it can't be done here though, so I'm just looking for a damn good story. Should I start with MGS1 and play upwards?
Play in Release order. Also, if you don't like Japanese stuff you might not enjoy the series or story as much as some people. Also, you can skip METAL GEAR and METAL GEAR 2: SOLID SNAKE if you want. READ the summary of them in MGS1 though. MG1 and MG2 are top down 2D games. You can play them in the menu of MGS3 on the HD collection and I think Subsistence. I would heavily recommend you to get the HD collection on PS3 or Xbox 360. Also, don't play twin snakes for your first time playing MGS1. The game has cut scenes that are really changed (For the worse IMO) and the new controls and camera really break the gameplay and make it really easy.

Last edited:
Play in Release order. Also, if you don't like Japanese stuff you might not enjoy the series or story as much as some people. Also, you can skip METAL GEAR and METAL GEAR 2: SOLID SNAKE if you want. READ the summary of them in MGS1 though. MG1 and MG2 are top down 2D games. You can play them in the menu of MGS3 on the HD collection and I think Subsistence. I would heavily recommend you to get the HD collection on PS3 or Xbox 360. Also, don't play twin snakes for your first time playing MGS1. The game has cut scenes that are really changed (For the worse IMO) and the new controls and camera really break the gameplay and make it really easy.

Thanks mate! The Japanese vibe isn't a problem, I've watched some of their movies and anime before thanks to the people I know in real life heh. I'll probably start with MGS1 after reading the summaries. No functioning consoles (broke the 360) in the house though, so PC it is. Thanks again :)

EDIT: OH @$@*%# I just realized they're all console exclusives. Now I feel like a turd. Sorry for wasting your time. Is Ground Zeroes any good as an entry point then?

Last edited:
Metal Gear Solid and Sons of Liberty were also released on PC. Here's hoping we get all versions on PC one day.
Ground Zeroes being a good entry point... it's not. You would at least have to play Snake Eater. To understand who Big Boss is and etc.

As for the overall series. If you want to get into the plot you absolutely need to play the main 4 games which are: MG Solid, Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater and Guns of Patriots. I don't think you need to bother with MSX versions, but the story is also referencing and connecting the plot with the events that happened in MSX versions which is insane. In the end it's one of the few franchises that is aimed only for fans.

@eliharel I guess I shouldn't be surprised these exist. Thanks, it's definitely better than reading. At least it'll take up less time than actually playing the games (not that playing them would be a chore, but well looking on the bright side).

Confirmed that the release date has been decided internally (Linked that recently). Now this from PC Gamer UK - February 2015. Possibly a May release?

View attachment 10705

Also,

Attachments

• PC Gamer UK 2015-02_000047.jpg
    PC Gamer UK 2015-02_000047.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Top Bottom