Metal gear solid v! Tpp & gz

+
Don't really care about the FOB's but I like how Konami lied earlier in the week when they said MB coins could be earned in game.

I've never wanted to hate a game so much while being so ready to play.

MGS V looked so cool in theory - if it just wasn't so stupidly goofy. I can't get over its silliness so I'll likely skip it... <_<

so guys ! since the game has been released, what are your thoughts ?

I played through the prolouge ... gotta say this was truly awesome ... I played mgs1 back in the days which I loved .. so far this game is quite a step up from it... im just entering the open world part so I cant say how much I enjoyed that... I remember that the gameplay in the first metal gear was quite captivating and I think Im getting those vibes here too... it always feels like you getting into real danger when you infiltrate ... I have not seen any option for increased difficulty though .... For replayabiliy I think that would be nice.... but so far im enjoying it way more than I expected... to the point where its almost shocking. Unlike witcher 3 this game was more of an afterthought for me ... so Im quite suprised

Last edited:
MGS V looked so cool in theory - if it just wasn't so stupidly goofy. I can't get over its silliness so I'll likely skip it... <_<

Same here. My friend got it on console, I'll check it out there. It's getting stellar reviews but I have to wonder if the loyalty Kojima has built up over the years has something to do with the hype.

How big is the game 30, 50 hours?? I really want to play it on maximum settings, thinking about waiting until I buy new PC next year. I dont think I can play it on higher settings then medium and 720p.

Yeah, the Metal Gear series is definitely not for everyone, I still don't know how it is the only Japanese thing that does not piss me off like most animes for example.

If Metal Gear game was serious and realistic, it wouldn't be Metal Gear anymore. That's what makes it so unique among dozens of bleak and grounded acton(/stealth) games. No other franchise in a recent memory gave me this feeling of wonder and discovery, every time I start a new game. The moment when I see the title right after opening sequence, I know that all I've seen so far was just a surface and there is a deeper mystery right behind the curtain, that I'm not aware of yet and because the whole series is so insane, I can't even hope to predict what exactly it is. That's a sign that this game is just something else.

How big is the game 30, 50 hours??
Hard to say. Other Metal Gear games lasted 14-30 hours. But they got longer as the series went on, so maybe MGSV will last longer than 30. It also depends on whether or not you want to fully upgrade your base. That will probably add a couple dozen hours on top of that.

Crap, my excitement for the game dropped quite a bit after what I read about the game from less biased crowd. Yes, the game is very long and rich with content, but for like a half of it. There is something like 50 missions in the whole game, but the main storyline ends with mission 31, yet the game is still going. And how did they filled up the rest of the game? With more difficult versions of previous missions. That's right, you just repeat the same missions again for almost a half of the game. Why you want to do this? Because this way you unlock the epilogues for individual characters and true ending of the game. There is one problem though, actual ending and final boss fight were scrapped from the game! The on-disc materials revealed what it supposed to be and by scrapping it they left one of the biggest plotlines in the game unresolved and it just happens it was also the one most tied in with first Metal Gear Solid game, thus creating a plot hole of a massive proportions in something that supposed to be a missing link of the Saga. True ending does not end the game, you just get more missions to repeat and that's it. Combine it with much lighter focus on storytelling amd you can see why I'm kinda underwhelmed by this.

I'm just starting out here, so can't really comment on the later stages of the game....

However, sneaking around heavily fortified enemy positions, using a CARDBOARD BOX as main weapon, it's so just so absurd it's brilliant...

I've using it to move around, as a mobile tranquilizer firing platform, as a surprise motherf...er CQC platform, as a covert way to extract assets... I can't wait to turn it into an armorer tank through upgrades! and I'm sure there are many more creative ways to go about it too!

Yeah, the Metal Gear series is definitely not for everyone, I still don't know how it is the only Japanese thing that does not piss me off like most animes for example.
I don't know, either. I've been watching the Peace Walker cutscenes again, and it's just ripe with the emotional exaggeration of animes in general. And the crappy writing still. Though it wasn't in GZ.

If Metal Gear game was serious and realistic, it wouldn't be Metal Gear anymore. That's what makes it so unique among dozens of bleak and grounded acton(/stealth) games. No other franchise in a recent memory gave me this feeling of wonder and discovery, every time I start a new game. The moment when I see the title right after opening sequence, I know that all I've seen so far was just a surface and there is a deeper mystery right behind the curtain, that I'm not aware of yet and because the whole series is so insane, I can't even hope to predict what exactly it is. That's a sign that this game is just something else.
My problem with MGS is that you grow to expect the unexpected at some point, and the absurd becomes commonplace. To the point where I feel twists are there just so the story has twists. I think that when I finally play TPP next week, once I hit the big story reveals and find out all the secrets, I'll just shrug it off after becoming numb to them from the series.

Same here. My friend got it on console, I'll check it out there. It's getting stellar reviews but I have to wonder if the loyalty Kojima has built up over the years has something to do with the hype.
I don't doubt the gameplay itself is second to none. GZ was awesome, and TPP enhances it with a big number of new options. But there are so many other stuff that leave me uneasy, whether from the reviews themselves or from people who have played, that I suspect all the high scores have a lot to do with Kojima's and MGS' status.

For example:

Crap, my excitement for the game dropped quite a bit after what I read about the game from less biased crowd. Yes, the game is very long and rich with content, but for like a half of it. There is something like 50 missions in the whole game, but the main storyline ends with mission 31, yet the game is still going. And how did they filled up the rest of the game? With more difficult versions of previous missions. That's right, you just repeat the same missions again for almost a half of the game. Why you want to do this? Because this way you unlock the epilogues for individual characters and true ending of the game. There is one problem though, actual ending and final boss fight were scrapped from the game! The on-disc materials revealed what it supposed to be and by scrapping it they left one of the biggest plotlines in the game unresolved and it just happens it was also the one most tied in with first Metal Gear Solid game, thus creating a plot hole of a massive proportions in something that supposed to be a missing link of the Saga. True ending does not end the game, you just get more missions to repeat and that's it. Combine it with much lighter focus on storytelling amd you can see why I'm kinda underwhelmed by this.
That's really troubling to hear. Throughout development I worried that the open world will be very taxing on the story in particular and the game in general, and the more I read, the more I get the impression that that is the case. This is more egregious filler content than fetch quests, and I don't know why I'm not hearing more ruckus about how a story heavy franchise has failed to deliver the missing link in its final installment between its two main eras.

That's really troubling to hear. Throughout development I worried that the open world will be very taxing on the story in particular and the game in general, and the more I read, the more I get the impression that that is the case. This is more egregious filler content than fetch quests, and I don't know why I'm not hearing more ruckus about how a story heavy franchise has failed to deliver the missing link in its final installment between its two main eras.

I tell you why. Because the press was allowed to make a reviews in an isolated room after 40 hours of playing without even seeing the ending, because Konami claimed they want to avoid spoilers, now it's clear they tried to hide the fact that because of their disagreements with Hideo they didn't finish the game. I'm not sure whose to blame for filler missions, but it was definitely made just to make the game looks much longer then it really is.

What's more, the whole controversial storyline that Kojima was talking about also is completely missing. Most of the scenes of tortures and child soldiers training that we saw in the trailers does not appear in the actual game. The scene with Big Boss covered in blood, looking like a devil, walking among burned corpses, falling on his knees and screaming from "Nuclear" trailer? Gone and I'm sure it was a part of this deleted final mission, showing Big Boss crossing the line and finally descending into villainy. Oh, Big Boss descend into villainy that all the trailers were teasing about? Gone. Instead of a guy lead on the edge by his lust for revenge, we end up with a guy just enacting his revenge in a slightly more brutal fashion then usual and that's it.

And that ending... the basic one is completely anticlimactic, basically "we putted the bad guys down and now let's go home". I was excited for True Ending, because some people compare it to the MGS2, but it's not even close. All of this guessing, crazy theories, and all we wind up with is the most obvious twist in the history of the franchise, that makes absolutely no sense and all it does is filling up one plot hole from original Metal Gear, while creating dozens more at the same time.

Rant over. For now, at least.

@Shavod This makes me sad as I read it. To be honest I am only passed the 7th episode and I love the atmosphere so far. Annoying how Konami screw up this game in terms of story. But in gameplay wise is a game changer. I have never played so tense stealth game like this. I have watched some MGS3 and MGS4 walkthroughs and most of the players just running around and tranqs the ppl. Well you are not going to able to do this. The AI was awesome in GZ, but it has become even more good.

Yeah, been playing MGSV for 6 hours now, and going open world did affect the storytelling, MGSV is like Peace Walker 2.0, most of the important story stuff are on audio logs instead of actual cutscenes, that is a very big disappointment for me.

Also reading @Shavod's post has me very weary, I can't believe this game (even though it is really really fun) got so many 10/10's from gaming press when the main focus of previous metal gear games (the storytelling) in it was lacking.

I don't know, either. I've been watching the Peace Walker cutscenes again, and it's just ripe with the emotional exaggeration of animes in general. And the crappy writing still. Though it wasn't in GZ.

Like @sidspyker put it once, Metal Gear has crap writing, but good charm, guess he nailed it.

So what do people think of the microtransactions, grind, online interactions, and general MMO-ification of MGSV?

MGSV has...
  • A massive, massive world (possibly even big than TW3).
  • Seamless blending between online and SP.
  • Daily log in rewards.
  • Farming for materials and soldiers to "level up" your base.
  • Lengthy upgrade trees for all your weapons and equipment.
  • Microtransactions.

At first I was a little off-put by all this. Or at least, a little hesitant. But then I remembered that microtransactions are considered acceptable - and sometimes even preferred - in Asian countries. And grind is actually a game mechanic they enjoy.
When I think of farming for resources in MGSV I'm reminded of games like Monster Hunter and Pokemon, which are both extremely popular series in Japan. The seamless blending between online and SP reminds me of Dark Souls. I can't say the microtransactions negatively impact SP either. I've never encountered a situation where my progress in SP was locked behind an unlock. And I doubt I'll ever encounter such a situation.

So what do people think? Is MGSV's resource gathering and microtransactions unwelcome in a SP game? Is seamless blending between SP and MP the way of the future?

Last edited:
I was waiting happily for MGSV.
I sighed at the first diamond I picked.
I think I can't stand games with "resources" as fillers anymore, too bad it felt on MGSV. I can't deal with collecting things, picking flowers and materials in an open world game to "become stronger", I don't have time for that. This is so easy, basic, tedious, cheap and stupid. Done it countless hours in Inquisition, done it too many hours in TW3 (those fucking, hideous and nonsensical "letter-and-key treasures") and too many hours in ACs (no, not AC, Ubisoft library as a whole), Fallout/TES...
I'm done with gathering allies, "friends", armies and/or those damn flowers, coins and rocks. Is that all that "adventure" is about?
Even "money" management, "loot", "crafting", "customization" and inventory management are starting to severely irk me. There are little to no innovations in those departments in open world games. Maybe I'll cheatengine my way out of that nonsense, if possible.

Last edited:
I tell you why. Because the press was allowed to make a reviews in an isolated room after 40 hours of playing without even seeing the ending, because Konami claimed they want to avoid spoilers, now it's clear they tried to hide the fact that because of their disagreements with Hideo they didn't finish the game. I'm not sure whose to blame for filler missions, but it was definitely made just to make the game looks much longer then it really is.

Now that is just straight up horse shit. I mean wow.

i gave up on the grind halfway into the game, i just used a trainer to give unlimited resources, then turned it off after i upgraded all the items. even that was a chore due to how many there were, level locks, and 18-30 minute real time waiting.

i think i'm going to finish the entire game, then do a new game plus and play the way i want to, without all the pressure put on me by the devs making me go out of my way to do stupid fultoning of every person and object i come across.

I just completed Metal Gear Solid V and i have some thoughts on it, bare in mind this was my first Metal Gear game apart from Ground Zeroes and Revengeance, i did however read abit on it.

-Firstly, the gameplay is bloody amazing, it's the opposite to TW3 where Geralt controls a bit like a bucket rolling down a hill, Snake goes from standing into prone, switching view from left to right or climbing mountains, everything operates extremely smooth.

The stealth is also fantastic, crawling about in a dirty lake in the middle of africa at midnight with 40 guards around you is an amazing feeling.
Choosing camos depending on what type of enviroment your mission will be in is also a great feature, when im infiltrating an airport im obviously going to go with a camo for concrete, seems like a minor thing but it really gets you involved in the experience.

Unfortunately, you are forced into stealth because if you actually want to progress and build up your motherbase (which also is a hassle to manage) which is needed to get new weapons,gear etc without fulton extracting every fucking thing in sight is then you're fucked.
So going in guns blazing is not an alternative until quite late into the game -.-

The Motherbase is a hassle, managing staff is time consuming and feels unfulfilling.

There are 2 Maps and while they are big, they are not big enough as you do can do several missions, even important story missions in the exact same location :/

-The story is incomplete, it's as simple as that.
Where MGS4 got a lot of flack for having to much cutscenes, this will be getting flack for having to few, essentially all important story is told through the cassettes which coincidently are extremely badly designed.
Now Miller will talk through you on missions, even side missions, when you extract people, complete an objective, find something valuable, i actually found this great, many open world games feel quite lonely, but by just having a fella make simple comments throughout the gameplay adds very much, although i can see others getting sick of it.

Now to why the cassettes are horribly designed is that if you play them during a mission, EVERYTIME MILLER MAKES A FUCKING COMMENT IT JUST PLAYS OVER THE TAPE SO LISTENING TO THEM DURING GAMEPLAY IS IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!
That such as simple feature as pausing the cassettes during dialouge is not present is astounding to me.

---------- Updated at 10:56 AM ----------

Continuing with the story
When you complete the game (which already feels incomplete) you are introduced to "Chapter 2" which requires you to do quite a lot of filler missions in order to unlock Story Missions, the problem is that all fucking important plot is introduced here in both mission and cassatte form, but due the structuring of the game (chapter 2) it feels.............i just cant put it into words, it feels extremely out of place, when you complete the game (Chapter 1) you feel done, unfulfilled but still done so having all the important plot here feels so disconnecting.
The pacing in "Chapter 2" is outright catastrophic, ultimately i think the story is great, it's quite "Japanese" though.

-One thing i want to bring up is "Quiet" now personally she was my favorite character and her arc is fantastic however her design is horrible and completely undermines all of her heavy moments.
I do not care for sexualised designs for SJW reasons, but i do care for character portrayal and story ones, and here it's atrocious, the explanation for her outfit is logical except for one inconsistency (the stockings) but it's still fucking stupid.
she could just as easily worn a pair of shorts and a sports bra, but no they had to go give her a thong -.-
Pretty much all of her serious scenes zooms on her tits and arse, this completely shatters any form of emotion im building up due to the ridiculous focus being so off.

There is one scene in particular which would have been absolutely beautiful, but instead of focusing on the emotional part, she of course has to do some fucking move straight out of a striptease, wrecking the entire scene.....................FUCKING HELL!
:rant:

Anyways if you are a fan of stealth games it's a must for you, the gameplay is so bloody good that it even if you know fuckall about Metal Gear it's worth it :yes
If not, you can sit this one out, atleast until a sale or something.

This is the scene if you're interested (Spoilers)

Last edited:
@Engagerade
Nice little review! Thanks a lot for posting! I definitely will get the game but reading that most players think the story is incomplete, I feel kinda sad, I loved the story in the previous ones,and all the cutscenes. Anyway, I'll see how it is.

Top Bottom