Metal Monks (Sacrum Profanum?), small nitpick

+

Madae

Forum veteran
After the mission, Johnny starts giving me shit about taking the peaceful path, as if I was convinced that killing was wrong (despite the fact I've flatlined hundreds of gonks throughout the game, sometimes in execution style). There really should be an option here to respond "because that's what they wanted". It's kind of silly that pacifist dialogue is forced on me even though Johnny should know better by now.

Yeah but its not your story

You are just playing CDPR's V and not your own. So you need to follow their path.

Its an rpg where you just cannot opt out of anything and are stuck to the narrative

Hum... maybe the language, but if I remember the dialogue (translated from french^^)
Johnny : "Look, V has decided to follow the peaceful path... If you didn't want blood on your hands, don't be a merc !"
V : "Johnny, sometimes killing is not always the solution."
- So Johnny doesn't say that V didn't kill before.
- V doesn't say that he/she won't kill later.
So in my opinion (and in french), this dialogue only concern this quest (not what happen before nor what could happen later).

Madae

Forum veteran
Yeah but its not your story

You are just playing CDPR's V and not your own. So you need to follow their path.

Its an rpg where you just cannot opt out of anything and are stuck to the narrative
It's about immersion. There are plenty of dialogue options in this game that need tweaking for various reasons; redundant information, dialogue loops, lack or misuse of context, dialogue that doesn't blend, repeated phrases in different responses, etc. Arguing with me about it on a suggestions forum is pretty strange. You have no more control over it than I do, so don't tell me what is and isn't acceptable criticism.

Hum... maybe the language, but if I remember the dialogue (translated from french^^)

- So Johnny doesn't say that V didn't kill before.
- V doesn't say that he/she won't kill later.
So in my opinion (and in french), this dialogue only concern this quest (not what happen before nor what could happen later).
Yes, V does say "killing is not always the answer", but it's weird and doesn't fit the context of the situation or Johnny's response (an accusation that V is naive). it's simply overlooking the fact that the Monk asked V not to kill anyone, and Johnny getting on your case for it doesn't make any sense. He knows as well as you do that it's what they asked, and doing the job right is the hallmark of being a good mercenary.

And I'm well aware that it's small and arguably irrelevant, but again, this is a suggestion forum.

Yes, V does say "killing is not always the answer", but it's weird and doesn't fit the context of the situation or Johnny's response (an accusation that V is naive). it's simply overlooking the fact that the Monk asked V not to kill anyone, and Johnny getting on your case for it doesn't make any sense. He knows as well as you do that it's what they asked, and doing the job right is the hallmark of being a good mercenary.

And I'm well aware that it's small and arguably irrelevant, but again, this is a suggestion forum.
Yes, but Johnny really think that V is naive and above all, that most of peoples are dumbass/stupid (monks too^^).
So in his point of view, whatever the monks might have asked, he would have killed the maelstromers anyway (be a "good" or "bad" merc is really not that important).

Madae

Forum veteran
Yes, but Johnny really think that V is naive and above all, that most of peoples are dumbass/stupid (monks too^^).
So in his point of view, whatever the monks might have asked, he would have killed the maelstromers anyway (be a "good" or "bad" merc is really not that important).
You're missing the point, and I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else about it. You don't like my suggestion, fine. Feel free to go to a different thread. Whether or not CDPR decides to do something about it is not your decision. My feedback is valid as far as feedback goes.

You're missing the point, and I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else about it. You don't like my suggestion, fine. Feel free to go to a different thread. Whether or not CDPR decides to do something about it is not your decision. My feedback is valid as far as feedback goes.
It's not that "I didn't like your suggestion", just nothing seem "weird/strange/bad/missed" to me, in this dialogue ;)
(and it's just my point of view indeed)

Madae

Forum veteran
It could play out something like this;
"That's what they wanted"
"V, the good lil boy/girl scout, always doing what they're told"
or something similar. Johnny could take fault with that mindset, too, and it's better than just assuming I want the Maelstrom to live.
The main thing is that the game should be taking into account at least the most obvious of situations where the player might be taking a different approach rather than a black or white choice (you're either for killing, or against killing). It's important for an RPG trying to tell a story and trying to get you invested with the characters that you try to give a middle ground option that fits neither side (at least in this situation), and it's an easy way out from explaining a dozen other scenarios that may or may not be relevant here by just going with a general statement of apathy.

I still cannot view this as an rpg

More of an interactive story

There are so many dialogue choices that seem so odd that don't make in the context

Madae

Forum veteran
There are so many dialogue choices that seem so odd that don't make in the context
And I believe those kinds of things should be looked at and tweaked if necessary. I could spend all day going through dialogue trees and editing them to better fit the situation, certain issues aside (recording more dialogue from the actors). It's just how I am.

Another unrelated instance that I can remember is when Victor is putting your Kiroshi Eye in during the prologue. I don't remember it exactly, but there is at least one thing there that is repeated in different dialogue options, and it just sounds sloppy. It's no different than a bug, imo.

Guest 4561861

Unfortunately, there are a few of those. One is Wakako asking V why I visited, when she just called V a few minutes before to pick up their pay. One I would like changed is being able to tell Wakako's pet runner about what I discovered in Pacifica about Spectral Kid. And the most annoying one to me is in the same quest both River and Johnny made up stories to prove their points. One writer really liked that plot device, and somebody should have caught it.

Personally I always complete this gig before I do the heist so I never have Johnny saying anything about it.

Top Bottom