Meth head V has got to go.

+
While I would like something like a survival mode.
none of those aspects have as far as I'm aware off been something that mattered in any game really much.
Fallout is the only game I know of where it actually DID matter, or ... provided some bonus/stats thing, such as XP increase, HP restoration etc etc.

so... why did you expect Cyberpunk would use rules as 'unique' as those of Fallouts Survival Mode, I wonder.
Fallout is not alone, I think, but the other games are "survival" games, so that could explain why they have those kind of feature :ohstopit:

Edit : My bad, there is one another, not a "survival" game, Kingdom Come Delivrance, an RPG who tend to be "realist".
In Fallout it's optional and "limited".
In KCD, it's like that, no choice and more "advanced". For example, it's important to wash you or not, (if you have blood on your clothes, sometimes it could be "good") because it can influence dialogues depending on who you are talking to (a noble, farmer, thieve or knight). It could be annoying as hell for many player I think

Last edited:
This. You can always choose not to play it, if it's not your thing.
It all depends whether it requires rewrite of mechanics or not for me,i.e I prefer devs to focus on other stuff before adding survival features in an urban setting where you always have enough money at hand,there is no city wide famine and you are not in a war zone/wasteland. If its a "sleeping" feature waiting to be activated with (free) DLC(like NG+), then indeed just let the players choose.
There is a nexus mod with basic survival features (hunger,thirst) ,looking at the number of downloads I'm not really sure there is such a great demand for these features.

Sleeping doesn't matter in the game. Eating doesn't matter in the game. Sex doesn't matter in the game. None of the stakes in the game are "real"+-.

If *anything* bothers me about this game... and let me make it clear the bugs don't bother me at all... it's this. I've had game *ruining* bugs that bother me less...

Why? Because bugs are accidental, this is a feature.

A V who can stay up for weeks on end, a V who derives no benefit or comfort from getting dorked, a V who never need eat, never need drink. I mean even the Sims managed all this.
Why can't we?
For TW3 they added the sleep bonuses in B&W. Let's hope they bring us sleep bonuses and new animations for eating and drinking as DLCs.

Well, it's a game, I guess. Things that you do in real life don't necessarily have to be there too. I know that survival games with options like eating, drinking, sleeping are quite popular, but personally wouldn't want it here in CP2077, at least not as an obligatory feature. I tried some survival mods for games like Skyrim and Fallout 4, GTAV, or built-in features like in Kingdom Come in the past and eventually it always turned out to be an annoying chore that takes away the fun for me.
As an optional setting for people to choose? Sure, why not.

Because they were good. Fallout 4 survival mode is an infinitely superior game to Fallout 4, and it's the sort of thing players clamor for.

Skyrim Nexus Mods Most Popular Mods of all time? Page one, for the most part, is all the mods that turn your character into someone you want to fuck.

But by page two? By Page two it's all the mods that turn Skyrim into a gritty realistic experience. Frostfall, Immersive Cloaks, Wet and Cold, Campfire, etc.

I love "survival" modes in games, as it makes me feel much more immersed in the game. Even when I play Cyberpunk 2077, I make my character shower, eat, drink, and physically travel (instead of using the fast travel system), just because I have more fun that way. Even though none of these activities are currently required, there are likely many players besides myself that play this way just for the immersion.

However, I do not think this type of play style should be a core mechanic to the game, because not everyone enjoys playing games this way. So if CDPR were to implement "survival" mechanics, it should be optional, otherwise it would alienate all of the people who don't want to deal with those mechanics.

Last edited:
I don't have anything to actually add, just that if you add "hey hey, ho ho" to the beginning of the title, you've got a cheer.

More about optional survival mode combined with Relic timer

Combining need to sleep alone would change a lot if Relic timer would set limit which would force situation where V needs to make tactical decisions regarding jobs. What would follow is that V not being able to complete all the jobs available, wouldn't be level 50 in the end game.

Other aspect affected would be money which would perhaps force situation where V couldn't just keep upgrading cyberware constantly, but for example; has to go with common Synaptic Signal Optimizer for quite a long time and perhaps skip uncommon and rare varieties to save up to epic or legendary variants. Considering all the options available, this should build towards tactically interesting scenario.

Ultimately this would result end game scenario with perhaps level 30-40 character (depending of how tight Relic timer is) without access to every top level cyberware implant.

Possible issues from technical perspective is if time spent in The NET can be timed correctly towards relic timer, because time in NET doesn't work the same way as in rest of the game universe.

Other possible issue is regarding gameplay, if this would block player from Don't Fear the Reaper ending.

Fallout is not alone, I think, but the other games are "survival" games, so that could explain why they have those kind of feature :ohstopit:

Edit : My bad, there is one another, not a "survival" game, Kingdom Come Delivrance, an RPG who tend to be "realist".
In Fallout it's optional and "limited".
In KCD, it's like that, no choice and more "advanced". For example, it's important to wash you or not, (if you have blood on your clothes, sometimes it could be "good") because it can influence dialogues depending on who you are talking to (a noble, farmer, thieve or knight). It could be annoying as hell for many player I think
My point was, Survival Mode is usually a special difficulty mode IF a given game already has it, which there are not many.
Which made me think like: why do you expect Cyberpunk to use a unique difficulty/game mode such as Survival Mode?
To me it sounds like the typical over-expectation. For some reason I see many posts where people believe Cyberpunk should've had it all.

My point was, Survival Mode is usually a special difficulty mode IF a given game already has it, which there are not many.
Which made me think like: why do you expect Cyberpunk to use a unique difficulty/game mode such as Survival Mode?
To me it sounds like the typical over-expectation. For some reason I see many posts where people believe Cyberpunk should've had it all.
I expect nothing, I already enjoy the game in this state ;)
(And if CDPR want to add that, it must be "optional")
My point is "only" there are games (not survival genre), who these feature are in. But I don't think it's the most "liked" feature in general and that the majority of players don't really like that (funny at the start, but annoying after a while). Mixing "survival" and "action/RPG" doesn't sound like a great idea.

I don't understand what exactly debate is even about. There has been good discussion about alternate ways to increase game difficulty by means that avoid bullet sponge design AND not creating difficulty barrier for casual players, that are the most of us.

There is about 1% for every game who look challenge and for CP 2077 my careful estimation, that 1% could mean 180,000 players.

While I'm casual gamer, I don't see any reason to block possible solution for others, especially when solution would be optional.

I expect nothing, I already enjoy the game in this state ;)
(And if CDPR want to add that, it must be "optional")
My point is "only" there are games (not survival genre), who these feature are in. But I don't think it's the most "liked" feature in general and that the majority of players don't really like that (funny at the start, but annoying after a while). Mixing "survival" and "action/RPG" doesn't sound like a great idea.
bold: haha yeah thats nothing I shall contest at any point in time :)
Well, personally, I think I'd like somethig along the lines of Survival Mode. I enjoyed the Fallout version in Fallout.
Not saying it should be like that. but something .. extra sort to speak, for those who'd like it.

While I'm casual gamer, I don't see any reason to block possible solution for others, especially when solution would be optional.
The point is not about "it's possible or not", "it's popular or not", it's more :
Would the investment be "profitable" (in term of money, because it will take time to add it and time is obviously money). CDPR is not a charity, so they have to evaluates if it's worth it or not (true for every feature).
Because adding all that is quite a lot of work, I think. So just for 1% of players, maybe, maybe not, only CDPR can know that :)

The point is not about "it's possible or not", "it's popular or not", it's more :
Would the investment be "profitable" (in term of money, because it will take time to add it and time is obviously money). CDPR is not a charity, so they have to evaluates if it's worth it or not (true for every feature).
Because adding all that is quite a lot of work, I think. So just for 1% of players, maybe, maybe not, only CDPR can know that :)
I take most of things like obvious. Like CDPR can do the math and if they aren't interested about suggestions, we wouldn't have this section of forum to begin with.

There are ton of stuff like eating animations, all sort of things that are utterly banal to me. So called Sims features aren't what help me "immerse" effect might be sometimes actually the opposite, but I don't argue against people presenting those ideas. I do say things like, making this skippable or optional to express my needs as player and usually tend to keep it at that.

I take most of things like obvious. Like CDPR can do the math and if they aren't interested about suggestions, we wouldn't have this section of forum to begin with.

There are ton of stuff like eating animations, all sort of things that are utterly banal to me. So called Sims features aren't what help me "immerse" effect might be sometimes actually the opposite, but I don't argue against people presenting those ideas. I do say things like, making this skippable or optional to express my needs as player and usually tend to keep it at that.
Like I said, I have nothing against those features (like all other features in general), if they are "optional" and left at the liberty of every one to choose them or not ;)
A "survival" Cyberpunk, honestly, I could try it, that's for sure :)

I’m not particularly a fan of ”survival” features because it seems to be really tough to make them tangible and at the same time fun element of a game; especially if ”survival” isn’t a core element to begin with.

But having said that, the gameplay in CP2077 could actually really benefit from additional systems to play around with. Albeit not overly intrusive ones of this particular kind.

Eat and drink could be combined into ”nourishment” that, if neglected, simply makes you weak and slow giving heavy penalties to mobility (both, on foot and driving) like making you slower, drunk-walk (and drive), making weapons really hard to aim and recoil really hard to keep in control; and sleep deprivation might just be general fatique that accumulates little by little over in-game 24 hours and eventually results in distortions of vision and sound.

I’m not sure if I’m really suggesting that exactly, but I do think additional gameplay systems could benefit the gameplay lookin at how it is now.

Having to eat, drink, sleep, poop and whatnot might be the height of immersive realism to some. To others, it's a pointless game mechanic that gets old very quickly.

So the best game design solution would be to have it and allow it to be disabled from settings. Then you can satisfy both camps.

Top Bottom