Miami Vice Influence

+
I have recently been binging Miami Vice lately and I have noticed some distinct similarities between Cyberpunk 2077 and Miami Vice so I thought I would make an analysis to explain why I think CDPR may have been inspired by this 80s masterpiece

Style over Substance-

This is a no brainer. If you want to get by in the criminal underworld of Night City and Miami you have to look the part if you are to be taken seriously. With Miami Vice you need a good pastel or neon suit or shirt, maybe some gold chains and watch to fit in with the low life drug lords of the city. In Cyberpunk 2077 you need cool cybernetics and a badass jacket to be a serious edgerunner. In fact the fashion worn by NPCs are often pastel and neon coloured

Jackie Welles | Cyberpunk Wiki | Fandom

Miami Vice (1984-1989) (@Vice80Miami) | Twitter

World Building-

2070s Night City and 80s Miami is highly dangerous. They are both cities of decadence, vice, greed, excess and corruption both properties owing this thematic element to the 80s as well as Neo Noir. One minute your making love to a hooker or Joygirl, next minute you are dealing in dangerous weapons and narcotics. This can happen in broad daylight on a hot sunny day by the coast or in the seedy nighlife downtown. The colour scheme of both cities is littered with sickly lime greens, cool aqua blues and pepto hot pink with shades of purple, yellows and oranges thrown in too.

Miami Vice: Season 1, Episode 17 – The Maze • B.Zedan

Cyberpunk 2077 - Alleyway | www.oneangrygamer.net | Flickr

Factions of Miami/Night City-

Cyberpunk 2077 and Miami Vice share some common elements with their gangs too with Fixers are basically the drug lords of Night City and criminals ranging from American (6th Street), Latinx (Valentinos), Haitian (Voodoo Boys), Japanese (Tyger Claws) are prominent. The Corporate Militia of Night City are very similar to the DEA by invading countries around the world while working for suits/Corpos who will never be held accountable for their oppression and imperialism. Nomads are basically the Cyberpunk version of bikers.

25 Things to Learn From the New Cyberpunk 2077 Gameplay Trailer ...

Freefall - The final episode - Page 4 - Miami Vice Filming ...

Image result for Esteban Calderone Miami Vice | Miami vice, Going ...

Dexter DeShawn Cyberpunk 2077 leather Vest

Soundtrack-

Like Miami Vice, Cyberpunk 2077 looks to be an eclectic mix of Rock, Pop and Electronic with a synthy score. No need for images

Vehicles-

I will let the images speak for themselves

Old School: The Ferraris of TV's Miami Vice - www.carsales.com.au

The Bug Van | Miami Vice Wiki | Fandom

If Crockett rode a motorcycle? - General - The Miami Vice Community

Quadra V-Tech | Cyberpunk Wiki | Fandom

Cyberpunk 2077 in azione: interfaccia, editor e molto altro in una ...

Cyberpunk 2077 vehicles: all confirmed cars and bikes so far ...

I did a post on the same topic a while back but its more visible to me know hence the analysis. Am I reading too much into this?

Attachments

• 1587022407121.jpeg
    1587022407121.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 63
Am I reading too much into this?

Not really. But what you described is more universal whenever there is a high populated city, with high crime rate, in warm climates where people can walk around in t-shirts. Just so happens that this holds true for both Miami and Night city.
I don't think CP77 specifically TRIED to take pointers from Miami Vice. Vice is rampant in such places always.

You've just discovered America. Or sliced bread. Or even both :)
MV and CP are the product and a part of the 80s pop culture. It's only natural there're similarities. It can be said, sometimes with greater accuracy, about every cop/action movie, show from the 80s.
Nice, but short, analysis, though.

For me, the whole cyberpunk term idea is about mixing something old and very classy with something very futuristic and cold with no beauty at all. Mix well.. cyberpunk!

You've just discovered America. Or sliced bread. Or even both :)
MV and CP are the product and a part of the 80s pop culture. It's only natural there're similarities. It can be said, sometimes with greater accuracy, about every cop/action movie, show from the 80s.
Nice, but short, analysis, though.

So its probably just unintentional then. Even if its not what CDPR intended at least the similarities make their vision of Cyberpunk unique :)

Top Bottom