MIDWINTER UPDATE - CARD REVEALS (NEUTRAL CARDS)

+
rpa47;n9913281 said:
Yrden seems too strong to me. s just game winining against almost anything but SK. Maybe should affect 1 row only and reduce the base strength to 4 or 5

Reducing its effect to one row is an interesting idea. This will balance it out. Yet, this card will be just not flexible enough. Mostly it will be used in SK with Harpooners, Monsters with Drowners, SC with Dwarven Mercenaries etc. So Yrden will be more or less copy of Gerald:Igni.
Personally I would like Gerald:Yrden to work like Vattier De Rideaux in NG (but without randomness). When you play it you need to pick up to 2 friendly units (logically you would prefer target damaged units) and reset them, for each of your friendly units you can pick enemy units (evidently you would target buffed ones). The catch is Yrden becomes dead card if there is no damaged or buffed units on your side of the board. If there is only 1, then you pick 1 enemy unit. This will make the card flexible to include in basically every deck.
If it's still too strong, which is quite possible, then alternative version can say "Pick up to 2 friendly buffed units and reset them, for each pick enemy unit and reset them". This will make this card a good combo with Full Moon Potion or other 2 points buff cards. You sacrifice 2 points boost to reset some heavily buffed enemy unit.

One thing is clear. They need to change Yrden somehow before the patch hit.

I think they aim to shake the meta up with the new geralt, it's not broken if you actively think maybe I should only include 1 or 2 cards that buff up in one deck and maybe I should spread them across multiple rounds and if he encounters a deck that has no buffed units well then its a shear wasted gold slot (outside of very specific decks like those self harming emo decks) and its almost always going to lead to a loss in card advantage in most cases regardless of whether or not you shatter the opponent with a 40 point swing and force the pass but definitely most useful in round 3, but maybe you actually have no buff cards left in round 3 so a bit of strategy around it there too. As for Saskia, everybody will be running hyperthin decks and milling decks again potentially? but maybe not, since there are some pretty decent tech cards hyper thin decks can use anyhow to reduce the pressure of mill. I think its very hard to stipulate anything at the moment, for all we know moonlight could hit a werewolf multiple times in a round and that might be like the new monster version of longswords that becomes op or just winch decks everywhere.

Kingoko;n9912601 said:
3 bronze witchers extremely OP. They will hit for 18 power + their base power, thats like 40 points swing with each witcher :p

You gotta think about it. What units are 18+ strength? You'd lose a lot of value from them if you pack too many alchemy cards. I'd say 3-4 would be a good amount. That way they can remove important units and not have to worry about losing value.

If I were you, I would start spend my scraps into build a decent Skelige Deck. The other factions you can play in casual mode.

Geralt: Yrden seems to be completely gamebreaking : it destroys all round 3 finishers of all factions except SK ones... (i.e. greatswords, veterans) The game might just end up playing only SK with that card and renew : against other factions, win a long round 1 with Yrden as last move to destroy their board while you are not affected by it (btw i don't consider that part game breaking but good use of it) + make sure you play the last card in round 3 (copying all spies,...) + in round 3, ressurrect some good units (SK can't be beaten on the strength of their units and the number of possible ressurrects) then the last card played is Yrden to destroy anything your non-SK opponent did to get close to you in points (they already now barely manage with their boosted units if they don't do heavy graveyard hate)

Unless there is a big change in other factions units so that they too can get big permanent boosts or another neutral anti-SK game breaking gold appears (Geralt: Exorcist: banish all your opponent's graveyard), that card is a huge mistake for the meta diversity...

If you face a deck with Yrden you'd better win R1 at all costs, because the moment a deck not harmed by Yrden plays it, it looks like saying: "Thank you for your effort, I will just take the round".
In R2 while you lost R1, or R3, it means auto-lose.

That could make R1 even more important than now, I'm not sure if that would make the game more fun.

Targeting only the opposite row seems the best solution. It would work just like G: Igni. Otherwise the developers could replicate the mechanic of Villentrenmerth: giving to G: Yrden a timer (2 turns?) before he targets all the board. After all in the games Yrden is one of the slowest signs to cast.

First time i saw Yrden i thought i read it wrongly. If brought into a current state of the game with the ability it has it would be beyond broken and it might just as well be called Gwent: Skellige card game.
But I really believe this will not be the case. Either the gameplay changes will be bigger than we can imagine (and the Peasant militia seems to indicate that way) or Yrden will be reworked to something much more bearable(resetting only your side of the board or something...).

That being said, quite a few new cards across factions have a "OP" feel for me, but nothing nearly as much as this. We could be witnessing a new level of power creeping...

Burza46

CD PROJEKT RED
RevengeServe;n9912961 said:
New Geralt: Yrden is just unacceptably OP. It's a killer of many archetypes. If it's played in the right moment vs Spy NG it negates Iris, resets Impera Brigades and turn Menho Coehoorn into golden card of garbage quality. It also destroys such archetypes as Spell SC, Armor NR, Alchemy SC and many more. At the same time it insanely benefits Cursed SK and Veteran SK. With Geralt: Yrden these already of the strongest archetypes will become out if reach.

Not entirely, it's difficult to judge cards without knowing the other 89 coming with this update plus the balance changes to existing cards. Players thought that Venendal Elite would be a problem and while it is a strong card it's no problematic and can be player around :)

It would be nice, if the developers could clarify here, why there is a new OP gold card, that boosts SK vs. all other factions. Does SK need more +buffs, really???

We do not know 89 coming cards, but we know 700 available cards. Maybe it will be possible play around Geralt: Yrden, but it looks like this means not using half of the available cards.
Usually, I play for Scoiataels and it seems to me terrible that one card can turn most of my cards into unprofitable tokens with a Strength of 2-8: Dol Blathanna Protector, Blue Mountain Commando, Vrihedd Officer, Vrihedd Vanguard, Hawker Smuggler, Mahakam Defender, Dwarven Mercenary, Mahakam Marauder, Vrihedd Dragoon, Yarpen Zigrin, Farseer.....
In the same time if Skellige will use Geralt: Yrden in the end of round thay only heal damage and will not have any problems. I can not imagine what cards can correct this situation. Maybe some 'inverse version of Geralt: Yrden' - like 'Damage all units by number of their base power...' ... but in real it will not fix problem, only make things worst :( such cards just should not exist

CDPR is surely in the process of balancing the G: Yrden card(hence the strength discrepancy), and in the meantime they're watching the meta itself basically RESET. I think there's a reason they chose to reveal this particular card in advance of the total 109. It's symbolic of the major changes coming. What better way to reset the game than with Geralt himself? The volume of cards being added here is going to do exactly that.

They just can't add that many cards and not have some decks get wiped out. Let's just hope it doesn't change our beloved game too much! And that the game is richer for it, after the many inevitable balance updates. I trust that they know what they're doing, though I can't help but feel like CDPR is having a little fun with this.

"No new feckin' factions!!"
- Zealous Gwent-playing Dwarf outside The Pheasantry in Beauclair

Based off of the wording of Lesser Demons, doesn't the card suggest that you could discard the card that you draw? Is it possible for this effect to be changed from drawing and then discarding to randomly discarding a card and then drawing the card from your deck so that you don't randomly have a chance of playing a 9 point silver whenever you play this?
It might sound like a small change but I think it would just be nicer for the sake of consistency.

The new Geralt:Yrden card makes only sense, if the whole boost/strenghten system is redone from scratch and a system-wide (equal competitive factions!) rebalancing is forced. So the midwinter patch has mainly to be a huge rebalancing / new mechanics / big shifting patch apart from the large amount of new cards. Just think of the new introduction of units-per-row-limit.

Last edited:
I have to say I reckon Geralt:Yrden will heavily favour SK and whatnot. It's literally a Nuclear D-bomb =p. That aside though, I welcome the change to the Meta, sick of seeing same ol deck archtypes.

It will be a doozy of a card similar to a well exectued Geralt:igni, Or Merigold Hailstorm. Perhaps tone it back a bit by only resetting Bronze/Silver units or even just bronze units.

Just knowing that the card is there will change the way people build there decks. As long as all the factions have viable options to Strengthen/Boost.

SK aren't the only Faction that can strengthen instead of boosting. Albeit very lackluster in comparison but I reckon the other new cards will change that.

Monsters already have the Relict units and it looks like they are getting more. With Weavess: Incantation and Werewolves, they will have a counter.

ST also have "some" Strengthening capabilities with the dwarven cards. Needs some Additional cards to make it viable though.

NG and NR are sorely lacking though.

NG might get some alchemy strengthening but likely not enough and will likely be more about removal then empowering own units.

NR have l literally nothing, and will need a couple cards to compensate. But I think they are in the same boat as NG and will be about removal via Machines as an alternative to boosting.

I think all in all though it will work out. Sure it will be in every 2nd meta deck, Just like Geral:igni is now. The meta will adapt.

Kassiopeiia;n9913341 said:
Also feel like Yrden is too dangerous to too many archetypes. Maybe it would be good if the effect is happening afer a 2-3 terms timer?

This would be an interesting option to balance. Fits with the "lore" as Yrden is a "trap sign"

Last edited:
I like almost all the cards except Geralt: Yrden. Maybe it's too soon to tell without the other cards, news of the changes, etc, but I really feel like this card is broken. If it becomes meta, it will single handedly destroy many match ups, one of them being dorf mara's which I personally love playing. SK can run this card pretty effectively because they never boost their units, and yeah it can have less value occasionally, but so can Eskel, Gigni, etc. The difference being that as long as Yrden isn't dead, it will single handedly win the game by forcing a huge upswing even a few cards into a round since many decks revolve around boosting. Aside from Dwarf mara, things like spies, spelltale, etc. Gigni and Eskel cannot single handedly win the game like this, and there's really no way to play around the current version of Yrden. Either it destroys your decks archetype, or it doesn't.
Please consider changing this card or reworking it altogether.

Burza46;n9918281 said:
Not entirely, it's difficult to judge cards without knowing the other 89 coming with this update plus the balance changes to existing cards. Players thought that Venendal Elite would be a problem and while it is a strong card it's no problematic and can be player around :)

I agree that it's too soon to tell, but I think CDPR should consider some feedback on this.
The community does make a lot of wrong predictions, but sometimes feedback or predictions from the community is correct. For example, Venendel is a very strong card, but reveal in general is just a pretty weak archetype. Still the community freaked out over other cards like Germain, Mandrake, etc even though they turned out to be not that great, so I agree with you there. Can you tell us any details for why we shouldn't worry about playing against Yrden in decks like Spelltale or Dwarf Maras? Perhaps any changes that would balance out this card?

Last edited:
I like almost all the cards except Geralt: Yrden. Maybe it's too soon to tell without the other cards, news of the changes, etc, but I really feel like this card is broken. If it becomes meta, it will single handedly destroy many match ups, one of them being dorf mara's which I personally love playing. SK can run this card pretty effectively because they never boost their units, and yeah it can have less value occasionally, but so can Eskel, Gigni, etc. The difference being that as long as Yrden isn't dead, it will single handedly win the game by forcing a huge upswing even a few cards into a round since many decks revolve around boosting.

The way I see it is that Geralt: Yrden will be the hard counter to Popular decks such as the ones that you mentioned. But Is that really such a bad thing? Currently they are top tier, with little in the ways of hard counters. While I do think it needs to have an additional parameters to stop it being so easy to use or a limit on its effect. It need some risk to offset the sheer power it holds. e.g Timer, Limited to Bronze/silver units. Currently it requires little to no tact to use. Which is kinda boring and makes it feel OP.

Aside from Dwarf mara, things like spies, spelltale, etc. Gigni and Eskel cannot single handedly win the game like this, and there's really no way to play around the current version of Yrden. Either it destroys your decks archetype, or it doesn't.
Please consider changing this card or reworking it altogether.

It is true that no other card currently can singlehandedly shut down so many decks with any setup or risk.

Personally I think that while on the board ( make it Immune but banished at end of round.) It should negate any either player from boosting a unit. Or have it activate after 2-3 turns. Yrden is supposed to be a trap / control sign as it is in the witcher games.

I can't find the date those cards are going to be released. Is it gonna be after the current season end (around the 30th of December) ?

Fjormarr;n9921571 said:
I can't find the date those cards are going to be released. Is it gonna be after the current season end (around the 30th of December) ?

At the end of the stream it was mentioned that we can expect these cards between mid and end of december. There is no concrete date yet.

Hello :) not sure if already known, but card-details for the revealed cards are different, depending on language. For example the wyvern shield buffs by any units base strength in english, but only by bronze or silver in german. Continuity across the languages would be nice, but I guess that will be given anyways once they are implemented.

Besides that I like the very creative new card designs and am not afraid that anything will ruin the game, since CDPR has shown that they are not afraid to make changes, if something does not result as intended.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Top Bottom