MIDWINTER UPDATE - CARD REVEALS (SKELLIGE)

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
MIDWINTER UPDATE - CARD REVEALS (SKELLIGE)

As Midwinter draws near, the factions in GWENT rally new allies. More than 100 cards — units, spells, heroes and leaders — will soon be joining the fray. Learn their abilities, strengths and weaknesses, and prepare for battle as we unleash the biggest update in GWENT’s history.

You can view the Skellige cards here.

Which of them would you like to fight beside and which are you afraid to meet on the battlefield?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like all the new cards with the exception of Hym (and Isengrim Outlaw in Scoia'tael).
The art of Hym is insanely good, but the ability makes me worried: "Spawn a silver unit from your opponent deck"? Isn't it too RNG based? To me it looks like you can either get high value or scorch yourself to the ground. It feels RNG.

Hope there are not many card like Hym in the next revealed set of cards...

Will Hym gonna spawn:

-a copy or the card itself?
-a random or selected card?

I think it means "a copy of the selected" since it doesn't emphasize on stealing or randomness. If it's random it will end up as a meme card just like Avallach the Sage.

edit:
4RM3D;n9911571 said:
The spawn x card mechanic will now always show 3 random cards.
. hmm.

Last edited:
quantum_number;n9912331 said:
I think it gives you three random units and you choose one.

altaybek;n9911941 said:
I think it means "a copy of the selected" since it doesn't emphasize on stealing or randomness.

I see. If selected between three cards this would decrease a bit the RNG and mitigate the problem. Still I'm not keen to see this kind of "discover" mechanic introduced to Gwent.
Looking forward to other tags and mechanics (Duel, Moonlight,...)

sfruzz;n9912551 said:
Still I'm not keen to see this kind of "discover" mechanic introduced to Gwent.

There is already Xarthisus (which sees through your WHOLE deck), Alba Armored Cavalry, Regis doing that. It should be ok.

Derran instantly reminded me of the old Axemen, but since he's a silver it's most likely going to be fine especially with other new cards like Mandrake.

Bone Talisman seems interesting. I have a feeling it's going to be used more for the Heal + Strengthen than resurrecting bears (the most common Beasts in SK). Then again, you never know what people come up with. :)

Hym certainly lets you choose from you opponent's silver units and spawns a base copy of it (doesn't steal). Someone came up with the idea, that it might be great with the Kambi archetype - you'll be able to play your Udalryk, possibly Summoning Circle and also opponent's spy for big card advantage. Other than that - Hym looks great for the cursed archetype nonetheless, it's basically NR's Reinforcement on a 4 str stick, that can also play Spy, which NR can't. I like the comparision to Rainfarn, I think it's pretty accurate and I hope this card will turn out to be good as the art is outstanding.

Bone Talisman looks pretty bad - it's basically a worse, less reliable Freya and the other ability is arguably the worse ability of Mardroeme. It is quite versatile but I don't think it will see much play (unless some OP beasts are introduced for SK this patch).

As for Derran. Well, he's bad too. 5 str without any armor can be removed instantly

RidiculousName;n9913581 said:
[...]
Bone Talisman seems interesting. I have a feeling it's going to be used more for the Heal + Strengthen than resurrecting bears (the most common Beasts in SK). Then again, you never know what people come up with. :)

Kaiduss;n9914701 said:
[...]Bone Talisman looks pretty bad - it's basically a worse, less reliable Freya and the other ability is arguably the worse ability of Mardroeme. It is quite versatile but I don't think it will see much play (unless some OP beasts are introduced for SK this patch).[...]

The rise of the Prize-Winning Cow. You got a mutagen with a 12 point ressurection back-up. Maybe they add a muster item unit to skellige. Like the herbalist for hazards and organics, would fit as a kit manager.

Not sure what to think of Derran yet but yeah, at least it's a silver card. We'll see...

TV_JayArr;n9915961 said:
The rise of the Prize-Winning Cow.

However, PWC is doomed. Seeing as it's almost never played, CDPR should remove the doomed tag. But then again, PWC has some insane combo potential.

4RM3D;n9916801 said:
However, PWC is doomed. Seeing as it's almost never played, CDPR should remove the doomed tag. But then again, PWC has some insane combo potential.

You could discard it, I used to do that but it kinda sucked.

4RM3D;n9916801 said:

I may have confused you. I was talking about healing and strenghtening the PWC with the bone talisman, not ressurecting it. Talisman can only ressurect bronze beasts.

TV_JayArr;n9917571 said:
I may have confused you. I was talking about healing and strenghtening the PWC with the bone talisman, not ressurecting it. Talisman can only ressurect bronze beasts.

Right. But there are already other healing/strengthening tools available and PWC isn't used now. The Talisman will make no difference here.

I think you really have to work hard to get some value out of PWC and even then it's often worse than certain other silver cards and easily countered. I like the concept of the card though. I doubt that will change anytime soon, but we'll see.

In terms of strength it's currently probably more like a bronze unit, but yeah, the combo potential makes a change like that risky.
Then again, if we consider the tempo plays these days it might not be that problematic. Anyhow, back on topic :D

I feel like bone talisman should strengthen by 2 when it resurrects and strengthen by 4 when it heals. It just seems to be incredibly underwhelming in its current state. You'd rather use a priestess of freya to revive beasts because it's worth more points and priestesses are more versatile as they can resurrect other units. And the healing part of mardroeme has always been significantly weaker than armorsmith in Skellige. If both choices would strengthen and strengthen by more then perhaps we could see a more interesting incentive to use beasts in Skellige and play this card.

Can't wait to play Hym, imagine denying your opponent a silver unit. And it doesn't say random so you will be able to choose which one to spawn. And the fact you can also choose to play a curse unit from your deck makes this card great.

Top Bottom