Might be getting the game...

+
Might be getting the game...

Hey Everyone!I recently was at Target and noticed "The Witcher". It looked really good from the case of the game and the story of it looked pretty good.I used to play WoW (2.5 years), currently play Lord of the Rings Online and Baldur's Gate 2 Occasionally when I'm bored, just for the heck of it. I also have played Oblivion, which looks similar to The Witcher.My question is, how well is this game? From my past gaming experience, will I enjoy this? How many hours of game play can I get out of this? I also noticed that the mods are coming out due to the new world editor. That really makes me want to get the game as well.My Birthday is coming up so it is a perfect time to ask for it :)Thanks,Brasel

If you liked Baldur's Gate 2, it is likly you'll like The Witcher.I have played both (and Oblivion) and to some extent they are similar.Honestly, the two probaly have much more in common than The Witcher and Oblivion ;)For example, the Storylines in both games are brilliant, whereas Oblivon is more focused on the "Open World" concept, which is not bad either.But granted, the big baddies in The Witcher are not as charismatic as Jon Irenicus ;)Not sure how to judge your WoW and LotR Online experiance, since I haven't played those games.And by the way, welcome to the forums, Brasel, have a :beer:

Well ... the witcher is an rpg with minimal grinding.Just had to mention it 'cos I detest grinding (and therefore MMOs).

grinding is absolutely possible, just its not necessary.im an rpg freak. i have couple playthrough's of each of these games on my account:mass effect, fallout 1, fallout 2, fallout tactics, baldurs gate 1, 2, throne of bhaal, icewind dale 1,2, planescape torment, diablo 1,2 +lotd, hellgate london, evil islands, vampire masquerade redemption and bloodlines, arcanum, gothic 1,2+notr, 3, kotor 1,2, neverwinter nights 1, 2 + all addons, titan quest and plenty of rpg/fpp, rpg/tpp, rpg/strategy mixes. i tried oblivion couple times but didnt like it. the world feels empty and repetitive.with this rather huge rpg experience, the witcher still easily claimed place at my top favorite rpg game list. i care for the story, game universe, combat and leveling system. all of these aspects are great in the witcher. above all, the witcher has something what other games often doesnt. like fallouts and planescape torment this game is very mature, its directed to mature audience. witcher universe is pale and dirty. there is humour, nice guys and cute moments but there is also violence, drugs, prostitution, racism, hard language and many other issues. this world feels alive and have unique atmosphere.if you are an rpg player, the witcher is a must-have position. not by chance it won dozens awards and titles like "best rpg game of 2007"

you're going to have to forgive The Witcher for being far less user-friendly than WOW. And I'm only comparing the User-Interface, mind you.I went straight from WOW to The Witcher, and while the game is amazing, its Interface is dreadful compared to WOW. 1. you can't rebind certain keys, even though the engine uses LUA (like WOW).2. you can't WALK in certain camera modes even though the animation is there in other camera modes.3. you can't jump or climb on obstacles. Limiting exploration that excels in WOW.4. EE is still dreadful when it comes to looting, compared to WOW.Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying The Witcher. But I did have to turn my thinking-cap on coming from WOW. I'm being serious too--it was distracting to have to "think" about controls. WOW allows its users to craft the absolute PERFECT User-interface--which in turn allows me to stop thinking about CONTROLS and interface directly with the world at hand. WOW is successful because of this FACT, a fact many of the haters forget. A fact all RPG makers need to pay close attention to. You don't have to carbon copy WOW to borrow from its incredible contributions to the CRPG genre.

walrusbomb said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying The Witcher. But I did have to turn my thinking-cap on coming from WOW. I'm being serious too--it was distracting to have to "think" about controls. WOW allows its users to craft the absolute PERFECT User-interface--which in turn allows me to stop thinking about CONTROLS and interface directly with the world at hand. WOW is successful because of this FACT, a fact many of the haters forget. A fact all RPG makers need to pay close attention to. You don't have to carbon copy WOW to borrow from its incredible contributions to the CRPG genre.
But many people keep the default user interface. Those than spend a lot of time configuring the UI to meet their every need, are generally those that are putting in thousands (or tens of thousands!) of hours into the game. The Witcher is a 40-50 hour RPG, I doubt most players would bother trying to 'craft the PERFECT user interface' since the default one is pretty decent!Or to put it another way, I think a fully-customisable Lua-scripted widget-based UI system, with support for plugins, would be completely over the top for The Witcher.

flashintheflesh said:
you cant compare any mmorpg to single player rpgs. that's so different category
"And I'm only comparing the User-Interface, mind you."reading is fundamental.
flashintheflesh said:
flashintheflesh said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying The Witcher. But I did have to turn my thinking-cap on coming from WOW. I'm being serious too--it was distracting to have to "think" about controls. WOW allows its users to craft the absolute PERFECT User-interface--which in turn allows me to stop thinking about CONTROLS and interface directly with the world at hand. WOW is successful because of this FACT, a fact many of the haters forget. A fact all RPG makers need to pay close attention to. You don't have to carbon copy WOW to borrow from its incredible contributions to the CRPG genre.
But many people keep the default user interface. Those than spend a lot of time configuring the UI to meet their every need, are generally those that are putting in thousands (or tens of thousands!) of hours into the game. The Witcher is a 40-50 hour RPG, I doubt most players would bother trying to 'craft the PERFECT user interface' since the default one is pretty decent!Or to put it another way, I think a fully-customisable Lua-scripted widget-based UI system, with support for plugins, would be completely over the top for The Witcher.
I plan on spending far more than 50 hours playing The Witcher, despite what I consider a clunky User-Interface without even so much as a simple config file to hack (away) everything I hate about The Witcher... e.g. the small stuff I plan to ignore BUT whine about online until the end of time. :evil:gimme:f_OTSautorun = 1/0f_OTSheadbob = 1/0f_autolootall = 1/0and The Witcher becomes a entirely better experience, that's all anyone making a critique wants: Betterment.Do not double post

flashintheflesh said:
you cant compare any mmorpg to single player rpgs. that's so different category
ok, you cant compare any mmorpg UI to single player rpgs UIdoes it change the meaning of my post? no? because UI is part of the game? ok.you could abstain from rude "reading" part.use edit instead of double posting

flashintheflesh said:
ok, you cant compare any mmorpg UI to single player rpgs UIdoes it change the meaning of my post? no? because UI is part of the game? ok.you could abstain from rude "reading" part.use edit instead of double posting
I found your post(s) very rude. Where do we go from here?I'll try...Why can't we compare the UI's of two fantasy roleplaying games? regardless of scope. That's all the seperates an MMO from a nonMMO... scope.A water-balloon is not a hand grenade. Far too great a difference in scope. But we can certainly compare their blast-radius if we were so inclined.you could edit instead of looking foolish online.

Avoid the US Version if you can as it is censored and excludes some goodies from its packaging compared to other versions.

Lay off the attacks walrusbomb, you have been warned. People are entitled to their opinions as long as they do not flame other members or belittle them.Brasel: I think The Witcher is a great game. I got more into it after playing Versus (or Duelmail as it was called back then) :) Some editions contain different items compared to others, so do check what you like best and get it. You can always change language with the EE.

Wow, Thanks all for the incredible posts! From what I have read, i might actually get the game... So i'll keep hanging around and see whats new and everything, and I'll pop back in when i get the game with my comments :)Thanks!

walrusbomb said:
you're going to have to forgive The Witcher for being far less user-friendly than WOW. And I'm only comparing the User-Interface, mind you.I went straight from WOW to The Witcher, and while the game is amazing, its Interface is dreadful compared to WOW.

Tobariah said:
AUTOLOOT! By all the Gods and Goddesses (especially The Lady!) .. I'd give my best Steel sword for an AUTOLOOT option.
Ctrl + Left Click. I'll PM my address so you can send me your best steel sword right away. :beer:

Fiskrens said:
Fiskrens said:
AUTOLOOT! .. I'd give my best Steel sword for an AUTOLOOT option.
Ctrl + Left Click. I'll PM my address so you can send me your best steel sword right away. :beer:
:eek: :-[ Well, I don't currently own a sword of any kind IRL, sirrah, but I'll gladly transfer my current one to you just as soon as The Witcher MMORPG goes [size=12pt]BETA[/size], all right? In fact, on THAT happy day, I'd not only give you my very best Silver sword, after I'd earned one by Questing WoW style, no doubt .. but with a unique Witcher slant. .. that would be .. cool. I'd give you my 'starter' silver sword happily, yell "have fun, wanna come explore [sup]_random_new_dungeon_or_instance_ [/sup] together for an hour or so?!" .. and then run off, laughing, either with or without you, to Discover Sh*t and earn myself a BETTER silver sword... ;D

Fiskrens said:
I tried [Shift +], [Alt +], and [Ctrl +] in OTS mode and none autolooted. I have EE. I tried it after reading your post.Is it a config/options toggle? Is it a mod?p.s. I'll cease all personal attacks and double-posts from here on out. I swear. p.p.s I

Stuff autoloot, I'd be happy with the mouse pointer being moved over to hover over "take all" when I click on stuff.

Top Bottom