GWENT and Steam?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Migrate From GOG to Steam

Will there be any way to transfer data from your gog account to steam account?

In my opinion, there is no need to make Gwent available on Steam; other then for the few people who "must have all games only on Steam" the game as it is through GOG Galaxy works perfectly well if you want to launch and interact with it through steam (screenshots, fps counter, etc.) and keeping the game on GOG would help promote gog.com and enable more competition with the dominant Steam platform.

My only advice would be to speed up the development of GOG Galaxy so its more feature complete and there would be no need to link with Steam at all.

Lantea;n7625720 said:
In my opinion, there is no need to make Gwent available on Steam; other then for the few people who "must have all games only on Steam" the game as it is through GOG Galaxy works perfectly well if you want to launch and interact with it through steam (screenshots, fps counter, etc.) and keeping the game on GOG would help promote gog.com and enable more competition with the dominant Steam platform.

My only advice would be to speed up the development of GOG Galaxy so its more feature complete and there would be no need to link with Steam at all.

The question is: How many people do you want to reach with your game?
If that means: As much as possible with little effort; Steam is the way to go, as GoG isn't THAT well know.

(No Offence to GoG, I like the guys/gals. But I have to be realistic.)

ps. Exclusivity is a terrible way to do competition. It just breeds hate.

Lantea;n7625720 said:

This is just wrong. It does not work perfectly at all.

I'm hosting a Gwent tournament and all people playing in the tournament are having trouble even getting a match going, because GOG is broken as hell. Not seeing invites, double launching the game, crashing the game, hell friends talking to you doesn't even make sound. A steam release is required otherwise I might just drop the game honestly. I can bear with GOG for a beta but for full release I really want it in my Steam collection, I have all witcher games/dlc's/expansions and even the adventure game on Steam, not having Gwent on it would be really frustrating. I understand the reasoning for not doing it, but I'd hate it personally.

I actually don't see it happening because how Valve and DLC works, but I really hope CDPR can put Gwent on Steam on release.

nightweaver;n7627800 said:
The question is: How many people do you want to reach with your game?
If that means: As much as possible with little effort; Steam is the way to go, as GoG isn't THAT well know.

(No Offence to GoG, I like the guys/gals. But I have to be realistic.)

ps. Exclusivity is a terrible way to do competition. It just breeds hate.

As Zoltan once said (if I recall it right):
-Yes, I do take pride in the fact that we were smarter than the elves - they kill you and let you annihilate them. And we learned how to subdue you... we did it economically.

In other words, I agree. To reach more people, Steam is a must. For now... because I still think GOG is more friendly and customer oriented.

Kinglionsfox;n7630160 said:
It would probably be beneficial for the game if it was on steam and mobile platforms.

Yeah, but steam is direct competitor to CD-PROJEKT owned GOG. You could make some profit selling Whoppers at McDonald's, but it just feels wrong, for both parties.

SzymonAtan;n7630480 said:
Yeah, but steam is direct competitor to CD-PROJEKT owned GOG. You could make some profit selling Whoppers at McDonald's, but it just feels wrong, for both parties.
You mean just like every Withcer game is being sold on Steam?

Ultimately it’s a balance between several things:
Steam GOG
30% cut of profits for Valvevs.GOG full profits to CDPR
Potentially more people that will try and play the gamevs.Potentially limiting your audience if sticking with GOG only
Keeping the current status quovs.Giving GOG.com and GOG Galaxy higher exposure and potentially increasing its market share and audience with a high profile release
More feature complete Steam clientvs.GOG Galaxy Beta client with limited features

There are plenty of pro's and con's on both sides. I am sticking with my opinion above.

JustinBB7;n7628400 said:
This is just wrong. It does not work perfectly at all.

I'm hosting a Gwent tournament and all people playing in the tournament are having trouble even getting a match going, because GOG is broken as hell. Not seeing invites, double launching the game, crashing the game, hell friends talking to you doesn't even make sound. A steam release is required otherwise I might just drop the game honestly. I can bear with GOG for a beta but for full release I really want it in my Steam collection, I have all witcher games/dlc's/expansions and even the adventure game on Steam, not having Gwent on it would be really frustrating. I understand the reasoning for not doing it, but I'd hate it personally.

I actually don't see it happening because how Valve and DLC works, but I really hope CDPR can put Gwent on Steam on release.

I disagree with that. I had no issues connecting or playing with friends or against others. Sure some of the features of GOG Galaxy need to be improved on to match that of Steam, but I just did not encounter the massive issues you are mentioning when it comes to playing Gwent through GOG Galaxy.

Lantea;n7635020 said:
I disagree with that. I had no issues connecting or playing with friends or against others. Sure some of the features of GOG Galaxy need to be improved on to match that of Steam, but I just did not encounter the massive issues you are mentioning when it comes to playing Gwent through GOG Galaxy.

And? Just because you didn't have problems doesn't mean they aren't there. Everybody in my tournament had problems with it so they obviously are there.

Lantea;n7634960 said:
Ultimately it’s a balance between several things:
Steam GOG
30% cut of profits for Valvevs.GOG full profits to CDPR
Potentially more people that will try and play the gamevs.Potentially limiting your audience if sticking with GOG only
Keeping the current status quovs.Giving GOG.com and GOG Galaxy higher exposure and potentially increasing its market share and audience with a high profile release
More feature complete Steam clientvs.GOG Galaxy Beta client with limited features

There are plenty of pro's and con's on both sides. I am sticking with my opinion above.

If GoG doesn't take a cut, how does it stay in business?
And GoG Exposure is of no concern to the games well being, unless you limit it inherently.

Additionally, you can just raise the steam price to match the steam cut. It will increase exposure to GoG as it will be cheaper there without affecting those that prefer steam to much.

So I really don't see your issue.
Regardless, we are straying off topic.

nightweaver;n7636570 said:
If GoG doesn't take a cut, how does it stay in business?

GOG = CDPR

nightweaver;n7636570 said:
Additionally, you can just raise the steam price to match the steam cut. It will increase exposure to GoG as it will be cheaper there without affecting those that prefer steam to much.

Steam price on a FREE game!? You can't make the kegs more expensive.

4RM3D;n7637700 said:
Steam price on a FREE game!? You can't make the kegs more expensive.

hehe .... nothing to see here ... just move along ....
:huh:

*Cries in a corner*

ps. This also kills the argument for the 30% steam "tax".

Last edited:
nightweaver;n7637760 said:
ps. This also kills the argument for the 30% steam "tax".

Buying in-game items is still subjected to tax. However, I am unsure of how it works when you circumvent the Steam API (which certain games do).

Lantea;n7634960 said:

Your balance is flawed. You're really trying to underplay the numbers... really. But at the end if the day, the numbers speak for themselves. GOG cannot compare itself to Steam in terms of players. It's not even close...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom