Mike Pondsmith talks about character classes on Cyberpunk 2077

+
Mike Pondsmith talks about character classes on Cyberpunk 2077

Mike Pondsmith talks about character classes on Cyberpunk 2077, and this makes us wonder how the multiplayer will be!

Given Mike said he and Adam spent a week on how to implement the roles (they're probably not "classes" with the traditional fixed skill set) I'll be very curious to see what they came up with.

I rather hope it's not the currently popular method where you have every skill in the game available but can only access a pre-selected set during a mission.

"Sorry Boss, I know I was a sniper yesterday but I totally forgot how to fire a weapon when I picked up a guitar."

Last edited:
Suhiira;n9151810 said:
I rather hope it's not the currently popular method where you have every skill in the game available but can only access a pre-selected set during a mission.

"Sorry Boss, I know I was a sniper yesterday but I totally forgot how to fire a weapon when I picked up a guitar."

Same here. I had a pretty nightmarish vision some time ago about them being about (freely) changing "outfits". A corp suit makes you a corp for as long as you decide to act the part, change to a rockerboy via a visit to a wardrobe, and then to a cop, and to a media... and solo is the default with "any" clothes aside from those marked for other roles...ugh.

Last edited:
Sydanyo;n9152400 said:
So I guess this is the same Gamereactor interview that was posted already in the update news thread, just with some personal commentary added in?

Right it's the same news, the purpose of this seperate thread is simply advertising some YouTube channel and getting views

To the actual news this is still far away from an official announcement from cd i am not even sure if Mike was allowed to tell this right know....I honestly didn't expect to have every role in the game but as he said we would be suprised how they did it so I will wait for some actual reveal of the roles

The only thing that hurts is that every news site i see who reports this writes classes......:facepalm:

Suhiira;n9151810 said:

Please, no, that would be totally cheap!

Sydanyo;n9152400 said:
So I guess this is the same Gamereactor interview that was posted already in the update news thread, just with some personal commentary added in?

Replying to your question: no, it's not based on the same interview, it's a newer interview with new information and yes, the video is just a small part of Mike Pondsmith talking about that and a lot of commentary.

MadqueenShow;n9154280 said:
Replying to your question: no, it's not based on the same interview, it's a newer interview with new information and yes, the video is just a small part of Mike Pondsmith talking about that and a lot of commentary.

Can you link original interview also? Please :) .

Mike has been very involved with this project from the beginning and knows what cdpr wants him to say and when. If mike said this in an interview its because cdor gave him the ok to do so. Imo i think its planned to start leaking small amounts of details to get people even more hyped and interested in the game leading up to the reveal. I have a feeling well be getting more tidbits as time goes on.

Well, Mike is a video game designer himself so I suspect he pretty much knows what he should, and shouldn't say.
I rather doubt CDPR is using him as some sort of unofficial hype train conductor.

Ya your probably right. I dont know what i was thinking. Why would they want the creator of the pnp game cyberpunk 2077 is based on to help hype the game up? I mean its not like anyone even knows who he is or throws every single interview he does up all over the web hoping he talks about the game.

DarthRaver8686;n9156920 said:
Ya your probably right. I dont know what i was thinking. Why would they want the creator of the pnp game cyberpunk 2077 is based on to help hype the game up? I mean its not like anyone even knows who he is or throws every single interview he does up all over the web hoping he talks about the game.
So far I don't think he is the one who brings up CP2077 in interviews, it's the people who interview him... and they bring it up even if the convention/thing they are on is not really related to videogames. I mean, I doubt that befor the interview Pondsmith say to the interviewer "Make sure to ask me about the videogame Cyberpunk 2077". I would not be surpriced if Mike would have been asked about CP2077 even if he happened to be at a, I don't know... car show or something, basicly something compleatly unrelated... XD

So really, the people who are currently driving this CP2077 hype train forward is not Pondsmith, or CDPR, it's the interviewers and the fans and the people who are very interested in the game. Make no mistake though, once Pondsmith and CDPR really takes controle over that hype train them selves, we will most certainly know it. XD

I think that CDPR doesnt care right now about anything related to Cyberpunk 2077. They probably already have written out marketing campaign from start to finish and how much money they will spend on it. Iwinski in his last interview said that they showed trailer years ago, and right now there is nothing to talk until they will show game which must meet very high expectations after Witcher 3.

I think that they still dont have "game" to show, but for now probably few different in-engine builds which at the end must be one working game, and they still probably adding and later cuting content, so there is nothing certain, even some classes can be cut, who knows...

Last edited:
Hi, I'm french, and I try to understand what Mike Pondsmith said in this interview. As I hear it, having all classes in CP 2077 doesnt mean that they're all playable.... right?
When he said that we'll be surprised how they've done it.

I wish we could choose one of the 9, but what if some classes wouldnt be playable? For exemple, we could have a Rockerboy friend, like... we had Triss in The Witcher 3.

Help my poor understanding...!!

Guest 4149880

What I'm curious about is how the class system will work in CP2077. Will you be able to only choose one class per play through? Or change classes at any time or alteast have the option, because having to start all over, progress through tons of story missions, cut scenes, hours of gameplay just to work on a new experimental build would make this game way to time consuming. Dark Souls for example doesn't take much time to put a build together due to the nature of how the game is built. But Cyberpunk on the other hand is much deeper.

BeastModeIron;n9160280 said:
What I'm curious about is how the class system will work in CP2077. Will you be able to only choose one class per play through? Or change classes at any time or alteast have the option, because having to start all over, progress through tons of story missions, cut scenes, hours of gameplay just to work on a new experimental build would make this game way to time consuming.

Shouldn't it be a good thing that you can have a new playthrough that doesn't play exactly like your previous playthrough; that there's stuff to see for different kinds of characters?

I say it's a (proverbial) blessing that if I create a corp I can't just switch back and forth to other roles at a whim when there's something ahead for them instead what I chose. It gives me the message that the game wants me to play it again and isn't trying to spoonfeed me absolutely everything in one go in fear that I might miss it (because it doesn't matter if I miss out on something that's not appropriate to the character I created).

Guest 4149880

kofeiiniturpa;n9160330 said:
Shouldn't it be a good thing that you can have a new playthrough that doesn't play exactly like your previous playthrough; that there's stuff to see for different kinds of characters?

I say it's a (proverbial) blessing that if I create a corp I can't just switch back and forth to other roles at a whim when there's something ahead for them instead what I chose. It gives me the message that the game wants me to play it again and isn't trying to spoonfeed me absolutely everything in one go in fear that I might miss it (because it doesn't matter if I miss out on something that's not appropriate to the character I created).

Of course playing a new game to build a new character is good, but also for some who would like to make changes to a build during should be there as well, especially when it comes to PVP, no stat should be locked it for good imo.

In terms of single player story, I see what you're saying. But in terms of just making builds based on gameplay performance, experimenting with build stats and PVP, that's mainly what I'm talking about.

Top Bottom