Mike Pondsmith voicing a villain?

+
I think Mike sounds a bit too kind for a villain. However, if he can pull off some Tony Jay level voice acting in sounding sinister with that deep voice of his, he'd be great fit for some cold corporate higher up.

Speaking of voice actors for villains...

Powers Boothe would be an excellent choice.

He also did a good job in Hitman Absolution (as below bar as the game was otherwise, the voice cast did an excellent job)

Ian McShane'd make for a great villain too.

[video=youtube;DJFOf5RBQ-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJFOf5RBQ-8[/video]

Although, I'd really not want there to be any clear cut villain in the game, just characters that'd fit the bill should you stand to oppose them.

I heard he is (or was?) supposed to voice that fixer, Dexter DeShawn
Hope not, I liked his voice acting on the demo. Don't see a reason to change it.

Hope Mike makes an appareance on this game like Tarantino does on his movies for example (Speaking of Tarantino, hope what CDPR said about the tone of this game being similar or inspired on his films IS TRUE. I love his movies and besides it would fit this game like a feet on a socket). I don't want him to be on the main quest nor play as himself (he could have augs). For all I care about he can be a cool merchant.
But one thing though, he HAVE to retain this iconic look with this glasses.

When he has this glasses on not only he has a cool voice but a cool look too.

Last edited:
That's a weird requirement. If anything, a kind and charismatic villain is more interesting than a stereotypical one.

I mean it in a sense that... eh. Think about it this way: Morgan Freeman, no matter how good an actor he is, makes for a terrible villain precisely because of his voice; he just does not sound the part. Robin Williams however, inspite of also having a gentle and kind tone, has a certain kind of tonal irony in his voice which makes him an excellent "unsuspected" villain.

There's more of those Freeman qualities in Mike than of those of Williams.

I want him in the game as voicing himself, who has become a villain in-setting. And the ultimate mastermind behind everything that gets away with it because he set everything up.

It would be an excellent allusion both to him as a gamemaster and him as having a heavy hand in designing the game.

I want him in the game as voicing himself, who has become a villain in-setting. And the ultimate mastermind behind everything that gets away with it because he set everything up.

It would be an excellent allusion both to him as a gamemaster and him as having a heavy hand in designing the game.

"Ultimate mastermind behind everything that gets away with it because he set everything up" is, basically, a definition of "ultimate bad writing" :)

I mean it in a sense that... eh. Think about it this way: Morgan Freeman, no matter how good an actor he is, makes for a terrible villain precisely because of his voice; he just does not sound the part.
You are talking about personal preference though, not an objective fact as such.

You are talking about personal preference though, not an objective fact as such.

Of course. There’s no other way to do this. However, there can be objective reasoning behind subjective matter.

For example, villainy and benevolence make a good couple, but if the latter lacks the irony of conflict in its expression that makes it a good pair with the former, it just doesn’t mesh well.

For the lack of better words.

I think that’s the case with both Freeman and Pondsmith. They both sound like old history teachers, rather than something that could believably bend towards the afore mentioned irony to produce a good villain. They have a naturally warm tone to their voices which is hard to turn into ironically sinister.

If that makes sense to you. I lack the vocalbulary to explain it better.

For a reference, check out Tony Jay’s (may he rest in piece) voicework. He sounds quite similiar to Mike, but his voice ”bends” better for a villain.

Last edited:
Not sure if he can perform as well as a professional voice actor (it's not usually plainly talking into a microphone afterall) but he sure has a great voice. If he can pull it off, it'd be a great addition for sure...

I think that'd be a great idea.

Night City Public Radio (NCPR) hosted by the "BIg M".

In the vein of GTA's best radiostation ever... but less of a parody.

Ditto. That's the best idea I've heard in this thread so far. Night City radio host would be amazing.

Top Bottom