Mini freezes during combat

+
Hello I am having a little problem lately could not find anything on the internet but a video. Combat is not fluent as it used to be. Geral freezes after every move briefly.
Please see the video(it is not my video). Is there any solution to this.

Last edited:
That's interesting. There is a bit of a pause where Geralt "resets" between moves (basically to avoid spamming attacks and stunlocking every opponent on the screen). Yours however, seems to be very pronounced, almost like the animation cycle completely freezes.

Any mods, or have you ever used any?

I only have ESGO and I used it for a long time never had a problem with it. Problem appeared when I accidentaly deleted contents of my documents folder(all my saves etc.) and restarted from scracth.

That's most likely the issue. You now have two potential sources:

1.) The save-state of the game is corrupted. Installing mods is fine, but uninstalling them is not always possible (not without issues). By removing the mod, that does not remove the reference data that will forever exist in the save file. The only way to rectify this will be to reinstall exactly the same mod setup that you had before.

This affects the particular save files that were made during that playthrough. If this is the case, a new game begun under vanilla conditions should not be affected. Only the saves from the prior playthrough.

2.) The mod data is still resident in either your installation path or mod manager directory (especially for mod managers that use virtual paths). You'll need to completely uninstall the mods and managers you're using.

If even that doesn't fix it, best bet will be to back up your saves, uninstall the game, manually delete all of the remaining files and folders on your system. Then install the game to a new directory (different from any prior installation).

Before jumping straight to the drastic steps though, do you know if ESGO adds or overwrites any files in your installation path?

All my saves are already gone. And my game installation has not changed. I started a new fresh save and this happened.

I dont know if it may cause a problem but yesterday; I updated windows to the newly released 1809 version and rolled back to 1803 again. Plus I deffragged my hard drive. Everything was ok the day before.

It's more likely that deleting your documents folder erased the files and had the game rebuild them. Let be try to be a bit more specific:

When I install mods, they will normally install into the game's mod folder. Some, however, will edit, add, or overwrite actual game files. These changes could be made to files in the installation directory, to config files in the ...\Documents\The Witcher 3\... folder, or saved to "virtual directories" if that's the method that your mod manager uses. (Not sure what the case is, because I don't know exactly what you've done over time.)

However, since the game was working before, and it's not now -- something definitely changed. Since you're seeing it in a new game, but you have not reinstalled the game since using mods, then the change is likely due to something left over from the mods that the game is expecting to find, but is no longer available.

Most likely suspect: there was something leftover from the mods in your Documents folder, and it was either deleted or the pathing to it was broken in the little update / reversion you're describing. Have you tried starting a new game since the problem first arose?

Best potential solution: a.) Uninstall and delete all references to the prior installation. b.) Manually clean out files and folders that may indirectly affect a new installation (like leftover folders and mod managers). c.) Install the game again to a brand new, never-before used installation path. In that order -- very important. That will ensure that Windows has to rebuild the game data in a 100% vanilla state, and any third-party data that may be affecting the old path will no longer be able to find it.

Now, if that doesn't have an effect, we can be fairly sure that something in your actual system has become affected. This would not be the fate I would choose.

I was trying to avoid it but currently I am in the process of reinstallig the game. I think it will probably solve the issue. Will let you know with the result

PS: I forgot to mention in my previous posts I also have the unification patch on top of ESGO. It overwrites some game files in the installation folder.

Update: I reinstalled the game, before that I deleted every single left over file like you said. But this time game did not even start. So I reinstalled windows and now everything is back to normal. But still I want to thank you for your help

Last edited:
Top Bottom