Minimum system requirement issues

+
View attachment 9041

Hello, could someone explain me why my videocard is not good enough? Besides, I can play TW2.

Attachments

• videocard.png
    videocard.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 272
View attachment 9041

Hello, could someone explain me why my videocard is not good enough? Besides, I can play TW2.

Is that the only video card you have ? You can still play the witcher with that card but you will have to add the -dontForceMinReqs fix . Go to wherever you have the witcher installed and open the The Witcher>System folder . In there you should see the witcher exe , just right click that and select "send to desktop" . Once that is done then right click the new shortcut and select properties and click the Shortcut tab . Now look in the Target line which should be highlighted . To the right and outside the quotation mark tap the spacebar one then type -dontForceMinReqs . then click apply and ok . Note that you will stuck with low res settingsa but there is a mod on the nexus that will give you high res settings .

Hi all, I bought a brand spanking new gaming laptop today, I've been dying to play the witcher for years (hoped for it to come out on console but obviously no luck)

Anyway, I'm running into this minimum system requirements problem too, which is absolutely ridiculous as my specs are as follows:

- Display: 15.6", 1920*1080 Full HD
- Processor Type: Intel Core i7 4710HQ
- Processor Cores: 4 (8 Threads)
- Processor Clock Speed: 2.40GHz (3.40GHz Turbo Mode)
- Hard Drive Supplied: 1 x 1000GB
- Hard Drive Size: 1000GB
- Solid State Drive: 128GB SSD x 1
- Hard Drive Speed: 7200RPM
- Memory Supplied: 1 x 8GB
- Memory Size: 8GB
- Memory Type: DDR3L
- Memory Speed: 1600
- Memory Socket: 2 x SO-DIMM
- Max. Memory Support: 16GB
- Operating System: Windows 8.1
- Graphics Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M
- Graphics Memory: 6GB GDDR 5
- Chipset: Intel HM87 Express
- Optical Drive: DVD Supermulti R/W
- Microphone: Built-in
- LAN: 10/100/1000Mbps
- Wireless: 802.11 b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth: v4.0

I tried the dontforceminreqs fix and it turned off a load of graphic options for the game, which sucks for me and my beefy laptop... Surely there has to be a better fix by now?

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance

Make sure the witcher.exe is running on the Nvidia GPU in Nvidia Control Panel. Set Maximum Performance.

Make the game run in Windows 7 mode and with Run as Administrator.

Hi folks.

Before I made this post I did my best to solve my issue on my own. I always try to read through support forums before asking a question. So, far every time I solve one problem another arises. I have yet to solve the most recent problem.

I bought and downloaded The Witcher through GOG. My first attempt at installation failed. Eventually the game did install. Then after launching the game through GOG Galaxy I ran into the common Min Sys Requirements not met problem. I was able to solve that by creating a shortcut and adding the "dont force" line. Now I launch the game from short cut in the folder instead of the GOG Galaxy client. Of course that locked the game into the lowest setting of textures which was pretty ugly. I then found a mod that forced the game to run with textures set on high. Now my most recent problem is that most the cutscenes run choppy or stutter. I wonder if there is a solution to this or if it's the limitation of my hardware.

I am using a laptop with:

Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel Core i7 4510-U 2.00 (2.60 GHz)
8 GB RAM
Intel HD 4400 Grapics Card

All drivers for my graphics card are up to date. I haven't tweaked any options with the Intel menu for my card.

I am running The Witcher with medium to low settings for all options under the advanced settings menu (except for the aforementioned textures).

I tried turning the depth of field option on and off and running the game from a window. These two suggestions from the GOG forums did not help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It's the hardware. The engine was not meant for Intel GPU designs and runs badly with Intel drivers. Earlier ones couldn't run it at all. Mods that attempt to defeat the way the engine forces minimum settings on unsupported GPUs are going to cause other problems, as you have witnessed.

4400 doesn't sound like a very poor GPU though, and TW1 is not a new game. So nothing should technically stop it from running on it, except poor compatibility. You can try running in in Wine, since it translates DX into compliant OpenGL. That can help.

4400 doesn't sound like a very poor GPU though, and TW1 is not a new game. So nothing should technically stop it from running on it, except poor compatibility. You can try running in in Wine, since it translates DX into compliant OpenGL. That can help.

Intel drivers have a bad reputation; they fake in software important features that other GPUs implement fully in hardware. All Intel GPUs are poor GPUs by any definition of GPU suitable for real-time 3D.

Wine can help because it can convert the entire graphics pipeline into software emulation. But that will still give performance and compatibility inferior to running DirectX on hardware the way it was specified and designed to do.

Haswell chips should support OpenGL 3.3 properly (open Intel driver). So it can have hardware acceleration for that profile at least, but of course limited with low end hardware capabilities of the Intel GPU. Wine doesn't know about how OpenGL handles it (software like llvmpipe or proper hardware). It just calls into OpenGL and if it works - it works. So it has some chance to run decently I suppose. Of course Intel Mesa driver can have other unexpected issues. You'd never know until you try it.

In Skylake Intel will start using Iris Pro, which is already notably better than their HD GPUs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. When I bought my laptop I didn't think I would be running anything more than the simplest of games.

I've heard of WINE before, but don't know much about it. I'll look into it.

For anyone experiencing the min requuirements issue, I found this fix which worked much better than running the "-dontforceminreqs" command (this causes low res and textures). Instead:

1. Run dxdiag
2. On the Display tab, look for DirectDraw Acceleration and Direct3D Acceleration. These should both be set to Enabled.
3. If not, you'll need to run regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw
4. Change EmulationOnly from 1 to 0.

Found the above information, here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/540742579558612076/

Hello at step 2 all is good but still get the error message, what else can I do should I delete the commond dontforceminreqs?

---------- Updated at 03:13 PM ----------

Could you do a Dxdiag and send it to me... my email is on my profile. Or any other way to get it to me !

Hi I did this and all is good and enabled.

---------- Updated at 03:13 PM ----------

Could you do a Dxdiag and send it to me... my email is on my profile. Or any other way to get it to me !

Hi I did this and all is good and enabled.

The issue do not exist anymore in Windows 10

Hello,

I'm surprised to be the first to post that here, but everybody has to be informed that this Mimimum system requirement issue do not exists anymore under Windows 10 !

I have a laptop that was under Windows 8.1 and the issue was there. I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 yesterday and the issue disappeared : the launcher works now perfectly. So for all Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, you know what to do ! :)

Another remark - For those who tried the registry update described above, it may work only for Windows 7 : the key EmulationOnly doesn't exist in Windows 8 and create it has no effect.

I have a brand new dell computer inspiron 15 5000 series running windows 10. I have the digital witcher enhanced directors cut version and am having problems running the game. I keep getting the minimum system requirements not met message. Any ideas ? Help would be great

Minimum system requirement still an issue for windows 10

I upgraded to windows 10 a while back and I just downloaded The Witcher only to have this error message pop when I tried to launch the game. I can run The Witcher 2 and 3 no problem but 1 just does not want to run. Can anyone help me out with this?

For anyone on Laptops - You may have two video cards installed, you can confirm this via Device Manager. If you do, then the game may be defaulting onto the lower, integrated graphics chip. You should be able to force the game to run on the discreet (AMD or NVIDIA) card but, diferent models achieve this in different ways.

Some allow you to disable the integrated graphics via the BIOS. All however, should allow you to adjust this via the driver software. Current AMD drivers call it Swithcable Graphics. I think the one for NVIDIA Control Panel is under 3D settings.

Also try the usual stuff like removing video drivers and re-installing, trying older as well as newer versions.

I hit this issue on my gaming laptop last night (Windows 10). Can't remember if this was mentioned or not but, I was able to work around the issue by disabling "Switchable Graphics". My laptop allows me to do this but, not all do. I have an Alienware M17x R4. I can disable this feature at BIOS level by pressing FN+F7 in Windows, and allowing the system to reboot.

I submitted a ticket to CDPR because you shouldn't have to disable this feature in order for the game to work.

Top Bottom