Minimum Wait Time Between New Topics

+
Minimum Wait Time Between New Topics

Just a small sugestion...

Considering the mess I just recently saw on the Tech Support forums with someone (most likely a bot) flooding the Forum with new trash topics every 5 minutes or less, I'd say it would be wise to create a rule here so that each registered user can only create a new Topic every hour or so. Maybe you could add some goal points like for each 10 or 20 red points, reduce the timer by 10 minutes to a minimum of 10 minutes wait time. Personally I don't see any reason why someone would create more then one topic within less then an hour and I think it's a good starting point.

Guest 4021160

Moderators mentioned before those kinds of spam attacks is a casual occurance. I'm pretty sure they know whats what.

Theodrik;n9521541 said:

Considering the mess I just recently saw on the Tech Support forums with someone (most likely a bot) flooding the Forum with new trash topics every 5 minutes or less, I'd say it would be wise to create a rule here so that each registered user can only create a new Topic every hour or so. Maybe you could add some goal points like for each 10 or 20 red points, reduce the timer by 10 minutes to a minimum of 10 minutes wait time. Personally I don't see any reason why someone would create more then one topic within less then an hour and I think it's a good starting point.

Restrictions like these are just like DRM on games. Genuine forum users, who might actually want to create multiple topics at a time are annoyed by this, while the bots will simply change from spamming on 1 account to creating multiple accounts so that each account can create a topic. I'm liking the DRM-free gog model, and I'd prefer if the forums also remained restriction free.

Edit: By the way, the fact that you do not see a reason to make more than 1 topic in an hour is no argument to restrict everyone else.

Last edited:

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Theodrik;n9521541 said:

It's a cool idea and we'll consider implementing it in the future if the attacks intensify.

Please report any spam topics you see. Our moderators will surely appreciate the help :)

Karolis.petrikas I'm sure they do know it. I've been around the forums for one month and a half and this was the first time I saw this kind of attack happening, so I agree with you that it's still pretty casual. I believe I was a bit precipitate about it, but as I stated, it's just a small suggestion.

Rayquorz Everyone has the right to disagree. But as the game becomes more and more popular and the community grows, it's innevitable that we will need some regulations. I believe you agree with me that spam attacks are a threat, and if it intensifies, something must be done to contain it, for the health of the community and the genuine users satisfaction. It was never my intent to suggest something to harm the genuine forum users, that's why I also suggested the "Red Points" goals. Again I can say it only for myself, and those who agree with me or not feel free to do so, but I prefer a healthy forum with good and meaningful topics over one flooded with spams. You pointed a flaw about it, and that's true. But that's why it's called a suggestion, you can trash it away if it's all garbage, or if it has somethiing interesting about it, you can analyze it, see if it's possible to improve it and overcome the flaws, and maybe give it a shot. There are ways to deal with that matter like tracking IP addresses and some other info concerning the origin of the user, and the devs certainly know how to make it viable.

Sunsibar & Vattier Thank you for the replies. I'll try to report it if I notice any spam topics.

Theodrik;n9524401 said:
I've been around the forums for one month and a half and this was the first time I saw this kind of attack happening, so I agree with you that it's still pretty casual.
The last time it was more than annoying was back in March. We put in a few measures that have greatly helped since then. There was a thread about it (in case you were curious) - https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...spam-situation

Last edited:
I'd MUCH rather have an hour wait between creating threads (which is more than reasonable) than post quotas.

Let's say this game gets big with thousands and thousands users and anyone who wants to use the forums like a normal person has to post 10 times before they can create a new post. (Thanks to anti-spam measures.*)

Forcing people to fill the forums with garbage posts in order to create a thread is just creating more "spam"....or am I missing something?

* Are these even effective at combating spam? Specifically are they more effective than captcha or other methods?

jcalton;n9531511 said:
I'd MUCH rather have an hour wait between creating threads (which is more than reasonable) than post quotas.

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. New members can still post a thread in Tech Support to receive help. One thread is enough. Then they can just post a reply in different threads until they have +10 posts and gain the privilege to post everywhere (also removing the 1-hour limit). So, a 1 hour limit on threads for new users is okay, but a 1 hour limit on posts is not okay.

jcalton;n9531511 said:
* Are these even effective at combating spam? Specifically are they more effective than captcha or other methods?
From my experience here? Yes. and Yes.

4RM3D

My original suggestion was never about Posts, but Topics (aka threads). As I see it, spamming new threads is much more alarming then spamming posts. For posts, an interval of 10 minutes should suffice - a forum is not a chat window anyway :)

Theodrik;n9521541 said:
I'd say it would be wise to create a rule here so that each registered user can only create a new Topic every hour or so.

Top Bottom