Missable side quests list and guide

+

Guest 3842565

Missable side quests list and guide

WARNING: this list is still work in progress; use carefully, the list may not be complete and marks may be wrong! It also does not cover their walkthrough, only the things you need to watch out for if you want 100% completion.

If you notice some error or can provide new info, please post.

I gotta say, this game is a nightmare to 100% complete. It's very easy to miss some side quests, so I decided to put up a list of all of them (I'm yet to see a guide that covers every single one from this list, and yet I may have still missed something). I didn't include random events that do not get logged in quest log since they do not impact any type of 100% completion in any way, and I think none of them are missable/failable. At each one of them, I used the following marks:

+: cannot be missed; can be started even after finishing the whole main storyline
!: can be missed by progressing too far with the main story; almost all of them must be completed before going to the Isle of Mists
#: the most annyoing type of missable quests: they will be forever lost if you pass near them without reacting (if you reload the area, they will be gone), or in extreme cases, they will disappear right in front of you if you don't react quickly enough (example: "A Walk on the Waterfront")
*: a special warning about a quest

So basically, if you are a completionist, you'll want to complete the "#" quests as soon as you are able to enter the land they are in. The "!" quests can wait, but be careful: for example, "On Death's Bed" is only available before unlocking Velen.

=== WHITE ORCHARD ===

+ A Frying Pan, Spick and Span
+ Missing in Action
! On Death's Bed (it's available only before unlocking Velen, so make sure to finish it before returning to Vesemir after collecting the griffin reward)
# Precious Cargo
+ Twisted Firestarter

=== VELEN ===

# A Dog's Life
! A Favour for a Friend (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
+ A Greedy God
! A Towerful of Mice (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
! An Invitation From Keira Metz (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
# Bitter Harvest
+ Blood Ties
! Ciri’s Room (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
# Death By Fire
+ Defender of the Faith
*+ Fake Papers (do not complete it before triggering "Thou Shalt Not Pass" or the said quest will be forever lost)
+ Fists of Fury: Velen
+ Fools' Gold [DLC only]
! For the Advancement of Learning (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
+ Forefathers’ Eve
+ Funeral Pyres
*! Ghosts of the Past (you must simulate Witcher 2 choices and tell Voorhis that you spared Letho, and then you must complete it before going to the Isle of Mists)
*+ Gwent: Playing Innkeepers (make sure to play with Olivier before "Now or Never" if you want to avoid a failed objective)
*+ Gwent: Velen Players (make sure to play with the Baron before "Return to Crookback Bog" or, if you ignore it, before going to the Isle of Mists if you want to avoid a failed objective)
# Hazardous Goods
+ Last Rites
+ Love's Cruel Snares
# Lynch Mob
*! Magic Lamp (can be missed by refusing to help Keira at the end of "Wandering in the Dark" main quest)
+ Master Armourers
+ Races: Crow's Perch
! Return to Crookback Bog (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
+ The Fall of the House of Reardon
+ The Truth in the Stars
+ The Volunteer
*+ Thou Shalt Not Pass (make sure to trigger it before completing "Fake Papers" or it will be forever lost)
+ When the Cat and Wolf Play... [DLC only]
+ Wild At Heart
+ Witcher Wannabe

=== NOVIGRAD ===

+ A Barnful of Trouble
*! A Dangerous Game (make sure to collect the green statuette during this quest or you will not be able to complete "The Soldier Statuette")
*! A Deadly Plot (you must accept Dijkstra's offer at the end of "Now or Never" to be able to start this quest)
+ A Feast for Crows
! A Matter of Life and Death
+ A Tome Entombed
# A Walk on the Waterfront
+ A Warm Welcome
! An Eye for an Eye (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
+ Black Pearl
! Cabaret (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
! Carnal Sins (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
+ Empty Coop
*! Fencing Lessons (you must accept Rosa's lesson offer during "Broken Flowers" main quest)
+ Fists of Fury: Novigrad
*! Following the Thread (it is a "+" if Lambert survives the Battle of Kaer Morhen, but otherwise it must be done before it)
! Gangs of Novigrad
*+ Gwent: Big City Players (warning: do not play with Madame Serenity before unlocking Dijkstra or the quest will complete prematurely, likely a glitch, also make sure to play with him while he's available if you do not want a failed objective)
*+ Gwent: Old Pals (you will get a failed objective once some of them are no longer available, so play with them soon enough)
+ Haunted House
+ Hey, You Wanna Look At My Stuff?
+ Hidden Messages of the Nilfgaardian Kind
*! Honor Among Thieves (you must let Rico go during "Ger Junior" main quest to trigger this)
+ Little Red
+ Message from an Old Friend
+ Novigrad Hospitality
+ Novigrad, Closed City
! Now or Never (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
+ Of Dairy and Darkness
+ Of Swords and Dumplings
# Out On Your Arse!
+ Race: The Great Erasmus Vegelbud Memorial Derby
*! Reason of State (be careful not to beat up Dijkstra while rescuing Philippa or you will lose this quest even if you completed "A Deadly Plot")
+ Redania's Most Wanted
# Rough Neighbourhood
+ Spooked Mare
# Strangers in the Night
+ The Dwarven Document Dilemma
! The Nobleman Statuette (must be completed before "Now or Never" or before the Battle of Kaer Morhen if you romanced Triss)
! The Soldier Statuette (must be completed before "Now or Never" or before the Battle of Kaer Morhen if you romanced Triss, and you must find a green statuette during "A Dangerous Game")
# Warehouse of Woe

=== SKELLIGE === (work in progress)

A Bard's Beloved
A Hallowed Horn
Abandoned Sawmill
Brave Fools Die Young
! Coronation (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
Crime and Punishment
Finders Keepers
+ Fists of Fury: Skellige
Flesh for Sale
For Fame and Glory
*+ Gwent: Skellige Style (make sure to play with Lugos while he's available of you will get a failed objective)
In the Heart of the Woods
In Wolf's Clothing
Iron Maiden
! King's Gambit (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
! Lord of Undvik (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
Master of the Arena
Peace Disturbed
! Possession (must be done before sailing off for the Sunstone)
+ Practicum in Advanced Alchemy
+ Shock Therapy
Stranger in a Strange Land
Taken as a Lass
The Cave of Dreams
The Family Blade
+ The Heroes' Pursuits: Fayrlund
+ The Heroes' Pursuits: For the Goddess' Glory!
+ The Heroes' Pursuits: Fyresdal
+ The Heroes' Pursuits: Kaer Trolde
! The Last Wish (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
! The Lord of Undvik (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
The Nithing
+ The Path of Warriors
The Prize of Honor
The Sad Tale of the Grossbart Brothers
+ The Tower Outta Nowhere
Worthy of Trust

=== KAER MORHEN ===

*+ Bastion (requires a magic lamp, so you must have completed "Magic Lamp" first)
+ Berengar's Blade
+ Greenhouse Effect
+ Monster Slayer
+ The Witchers' Forge

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your effort!

Why do you claim KH quests need to be completed before the battle? I completed mine post-story and everything was fine.

Could you possibly add a section about quests that due to bugs must be done in a specific order or else they will fail or be impossible to complete?

Thanks again.

PS. Because 'Bastion' requires the lamp maybe add a requirement of completing 'Magic Lamp' first.

Last edited:

Guest 3842565

Thanks for your effort!

Why do you claim KH quests need to be completed before the battle? I completed mine post-story and everything was fine.

Could you possibly add a section about quests that due to bugs must be done in a specific order or else they will fail or be impossible to complete?

Thanks again.

PS. Because 'Bastion' requires the lamp maybe add a requirement of completing 'Magic Lamp' first.

I remember reading somewhere that Kaer Morhen quests need to be done immediately and I assumed it was true, but thanks for pointing out, I changed it now. I also put the # mark at Precious Cargo because I noticed that if you trigger the ! mark on the map and then go back there, merchant will be sitting but impossible to talk to.
I don't really know about the order bugs, the only one I noticed was Thou Shalt Not Pass.

Guest 3842565

@edit
To be honest, this list still doesn't satisfy me. I'll thinking about writing a step-by-step checklist guide including the order of doing all of the side quests in the game so that you can play and relax without stressing out that you'll miss something. I'm almost done with all of the side quests on my research-like playthrough, so I'll probably start writing it soon.

I've made a new, simplified and a bit updated list, not mentioning the choices you have to make during main quests [experienced players know them well] that are needed to trigger some of the side quests. I'm thinking about putting it in the first post but for now let's put it here:

@ complete as soon as possible
! complete before advancing too far in the main story
no mark: not to worry, can be completed any time
* a unique warning
??? no data yet

=== WHITE ORCHARD ===

@ A Frying Pan, Spick and Span
@ Missing in Action
@ On Death's Bed
@ Precious Cargo
@ Twisted Firestarter

=== VELEN ===

@ A Dog's Life
! A Favour for a Friend
A Greedy God
! A Towerful of Mice
! An Invitation From Keira Metz
@ Bitter Harvest
Blood Ties
! Ciri’s Room
@ Death By Fire
Defender of the Faith
* Fake Papers [do not complete before "Thou Shalt Not Pass"]
Fists of Fury: Velen
Fools' Gold
! For the Advancement of Learning
Forefathers’ Eve
Funeral Pyres
! Ghosts of the Past
@ Gwent: Playing Innkeepers [complete before Olivier dies]
@ Gwent: Velen Players [complete while Baron is available]
@ Hazardous Goods
Last Rites
* Love's Cruel Snares [becomes available really late]
@ Lynch Mob
! Magic Lamp
Master Armourers
Races: Crow's Perch
! Return to Crookback Bog
* Rough Neighbourhood [becomes available really late]
The Fall of the House of Reardon
The Truth in the Stars
The Volunteer
* Thou Shalt Not Pass [start it before completing "Fake Papers"]
* When the Cat and Wolf Play... [initially listed as a witcher contract, then transforms into a side quest]
Wild At Heart
* Witcher Wannabe [becomes available really late]

=== NOVIGRAD ===

@ A Barnful of Trouble
! A Dangerous Game
! A Deadly Plot
* A Feast for Crows [becomes available really late]
! A Matter of Life and Death
A Tome Entombed
@ A Walk on the Waterfront
! An Eye for an Eye
Black Pearl
! Cabaret
! Carnal Sins
Empty Coop
Fencing Lessons [you must agree to Rosa]
Fists of Fury: Novigrad
! * Following the Thread [do not start this at all before completing "Flesh for Sale"]
! Gangs of Novigrad [directly connected with main quest, but can still be failed]
@ * Gwent: Big City Players [do not play with Serenity before unlocking Dijkstra, and complete it while he's available]
Gwent: High Stakes
! Gwent: Old Pals
! Gwent: Thaler
Haunted House
Hey, You Wanna Look At My Stuff?
* Hidden Messages of the Nilfgaardian Kind [becomes available late]
Honor Among Thieves
Little Red
Message from an Old Friend
Novigrad Hospitality
* Novigrad, Closed City [Keys] [becomes available after "Now or Never"]
* Novigrad, Closed City [Bandits] [becomes available after "Now or Never"]
! Now or Never
Of Dairy and Darkness
Of Swords and Dumplings
@ * Out On Your Arse! [becomes available really late]
Race: The Great Erasmus Vegelbud Memorial Derby
! Reason of State
! Redania's Most Wanted
Spooked Mare
The Dwarven Document Dilemma
! * The Nobleman Statuette [bought from a merchant]
! * The Soldier Statuette [found during "A Dangerous Game"]
@ Warehouse of Woe

=== SKELLIGE ===

A Bard's Beloved
A Hallowed Horn
Abandoned Sawmill
??? Brave Fools Die Young
! Coronation
??? Crime and Punishment
Finders Keepers
Fists of Fury: Skellige
* Flesh for Sale [complete before starting "Following the Thread"]
For Fame and Glory
! Gwent: Skellige Style
In the Heart of the Woods
In Wolf's Clothing
Iron Maiden
! King's Gambit
! Lord of Undvik
Master of the Arena
Peace Disturbed
! Possession
Practicum in Advanced Alchemy
Shock Therapy
??? Stranger in a Strange Land
Taken as a Lass
@ The Cave of Dreams
??? The Family Blade
The Heroes' Pursuits: Fayrlund
The Heroes' Pursuits: For the Goddess' Glory!
The Heroes' Pursuits: Fyresdal
The Heroes' Pursuits: Kaer Trolde
! The Last Wish
! The Lord of Undvik
The Nithing
The Path of Warriors
The Prize of Honor
The Sad Tale of the Grossbart Brothers
The Tower Outta Nowhere
??? Worthy of Trust

=== KAER MORHEN ===

Bastion
Berengar's Blade
Greenhouse Effect
Monster Slayer
The Witchers' Forge

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for putting this together. Here are some notes I made. I didn't see these...

In Velen: Take What you Want (follow on to Wolf and Cat)
In Skellige: Free Spirit, Hard times, Fist of Fury: Champion of Champions

Not sure what you mean by "[becomes available really late]". You have Witcher Wannabe listed as late, I did it before going to Novigrad . Similarly, Out on your Arse is lisetd as late, but I did it during Contract: Deadly Delights (before any Novigrad Main Quests).

Thanks for the list! Question: Do you have to do Last Wish before going to Kaer Morhen (finish the first part of Ugly Baby)? Or can you wait to do it after?

Thanks for the list! Question: Do you have to do Last Wish before going to Kaer Morhen (finish the first part of Ugly Baby)? Or can you wait to do it after?

You have to do it before.
From the moment you walk into the stable to collect Uma, Yen can't be in Skellige.

=== SKELLIGE ===

*Taken as a Lass [don't talk with Kurisu in Freya's temple on the isle of Hindarsfjall, before start this quest or quest will be complete without any other objectives]

Last edited:
Hi, took a bit of time to gather info from my own journal, this thread and reddit, came up with this : Witcher 3 Quests List Google Doc

I have the feeling this is fairly complete but we may still be missing some quests so feel free to comment. Also could not remember all details from these minor quests that pop in specific locations with or without an exclamation mark and some situations that don't trigger a quest per say (called "Event"), very much willing to get any input to mention if a quests require to shop for an item, go to a specific location, talk to a non marked NPC, etc.

Suggested levels in blue are because done on NG+ so inconsistent with the rest, want to send the whole list? ; )

Added a column status for those who would like to check game completion, personally go to 95.72% after my second run on NG+ with HOS. Took a "mere" 382 hours of playing the two runs and putting up the list. Now I'll be off to gather the last smuggler's cache I have left in Skellige ; )

To help with checking quests done or not, I'd suggest heading towards this mod which sorts the list in alphabetical order.
If you're not familiar with adding a mod : fairly simple instructions.

Well, happy hunting. And if anyone tries the 100% run, please stream ; )

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this. I just wish I found it before I started my playthrough. I totally agree with you, it's a nightmare to get 100%, but I guess that's because it isn't really tailored towards hardcore completionists. Don't get me wrong though, best game I have ever played and it has dethroned Final Fantasy VII from it's throne for me, and that's even after weighing in the huge amount of nostalgia. But it grinds me so bad that quests are so easily missable. I thought I was very thorough and got all quests down, but there is one thing that is not mentioned on this list:

The quest "Lynch Mob" will not be available if you advance to far in the story with Keira Metz. I believe "A favor for a friend" is the culprit. When I got there the nilfgaardian soldier was just hanging there and I could loot the letter, as if I let them hang him. So you have to go to Hangmans Alley BEFORE this.

Do every quest you have before going to the isle of mists i dont remember any more story missions that you lose side quests anyway leaving the game for 2 quests really? that seems strange

I don't like being unable to complete stuff. I don't mind if I made the choice but without being told I hate it.

Not sure if the OP is still being updated, but it looks like there are a few errors in the list:

! The Last Wish (must be done before going to the Isle of Mists)
This quest actually fails when starting Ugly Baby by taking Uma in Velen.

]! The Nobleman Statuette (must be completed before "Now or Never" or before the Battle of Kaer Morhen if you romanced Triss)
! The Soldier Statuette (must be completed before "Now or Never" or before the Battle of Kaer Morhen if you romanced Triss, and you must find a green statuette during "A Dangerous Game")
These can still be played in the third act during Final Preparations (and not until then after Now or Never), although the quests tend to be somewhat buggy.

Also, I have some doubts regarding Possession and Redania's Most Wanted, which, according to the list, can be played until The Sunstone and the end of the game, respectively. Based on what quest lines they are parts of, it would make more sense for these quests to be available only until The Isle of Mists, but I have yet to verify if that is really the case.

Possession fails as soon as you sail with Avallach and the sorceresses + Ciri away from Novigrad and towards Skellige.
So does Lord of Undvik.
So would King's Gambit. Sailing towards Skellige is the trigger for change of political situation in Skellige, because the Nilfgard fleet arrives simultaneously to this cutscene.

No idea about Redania's Most Wanted, but I would expect it to fail at Isle of Mists (that's the time when Radovid's ship moves from Oxenfurt to Novigrad.)

Soldier Statuette pretended to be available in act 3, and Triss was willing to do it; but Geralt only had the quest canceling line available then ("we don't have the time for this now.") I tried to get it done twice before extracting Philippa from the bathhouse. Forgot about it during the tiny window between "after extracting Philippa from bathhouse" and "everyone is on the ship now".

Last edited:
Top Bottom