Missing Any Sense of Urgency Regarding ANY Missions

+
you ever wonder why that countdown to annihilation clock always, always stops at 1. Time is an illusion a GM uses to create a sense of urgency. You wanna know why GM's roll dice behind a screen? So they can change them at will because the only aim of RP is ultimately to tell a good story, to illicit emotions and feelings from the players, to give them a sense of danger without any real danger.

and so it is with video RPG's, from hellblade, senuas sacrifice with it's sweet perma-death to, this chip is gonna kill you if you don't get it out of your head asap. Of course when the illusion is over it is a let down, like any magic trick (I mean illusion, a trick is something...)

Suspend your disbelief and enjoy the game. There is no real urgency in most roleplay.

But I wouldnt want content to be with held from me just because of a time restriction. I'm not fond of it. I love open world games exactly because they generally lack those.
Ah. But it wouldn't be withheld per se. Just no longer available in that playthrough.
It would increase the replay value.

I love exploring the city too, and frankly that's largely what I do. I'm trying to get to know the city well enough that I don't have to refer to a map. After all, V HAS lived there for a very very long time. I, as the player, have not. (non-sequter: it bugs me that bars and fixers aren't named on the map. V would know that stuff)
The thing about the urgency is that the main storyline is set up to BE urgent. Finding out it's not is a bit of a let down.
Post automatically merged:

you ever wonder why that countdown to annihilation clock always, always stops at 1.

... There is no real urgency in most roleplay.
If you mean the Doomsday Clock of the Bulletin of Atomic Scientist, IDK what you mean by "always stops at 1." It's currently at 100 seconds to midnight. The closest it's ever been. ;)

There may not be urgency in a lot of RPG, but I posit that there SHOULD be. Especially with a story like CP2077.

I know it comes up often enough on here that at least a decent portion of the player base would like to see an in-game time limit of some sort implemented. I've even seen some really interesting ideas.

So here's my pitch, IF it's going to be done make it something like 30 or 60 or however many "In-Game days" then at that point either V dies, or Johnny takes over and the game shifts to his perspective(The second one probably too hard to do at this point, new dialogue, mission structure/endings/relationships/etc...) but most importantly make it a 100% OPTIONAL setting for players who want a more... let's call it hardcore survival mode. That way those who want to explore as V and take their time and see the city and play as "Thier V" which was a huge selling point of the game "it's your story in Night city" those people can still enjoy at their pace, and fans who really want that feeling of urgency have that game mode to play around in if they want.

Top Bottom