[MOD - advice needed] Replacing W3 head with W2 head

+
I am speaking about the blocky ponytail textures...

hm dont know who did that hair texture but whoever did that...did it look like the pic I posted before importing oO?

I am speaking about the blocky ponytail textures...

hm dont know who did that hair texture but whoever did that...did it look like the pic I posted before importing oO?

It's not that messed up in my modded folder, no, but I converted it to greyscale to remove the colors (get it more grey).

Yeah. Most likely.

The only way I know to get a smooth transition to alpha is to hex edit and convert to xbm manually. (that's the only way I know)

that's gonna take some time :D BUT hey, I can try it out tomorrow...gonna have to rename my textures to just 1 x diffuse and 1 x normal map for all the 3 hairstyles, edit the XMLs (a lot of them) cook the mod, "inject" the new texture in via hexedit then cook again (I guess that's the workflow)..

Glanced through the hex "injection" doc in more detail now. It has some stuff to it but shouldn't be too hellish to do..just tedious. Anyway, gonna have a look at it tomorrow if you don't hack it until then (it's nearly midnight where I'm at).. i think we might need a normal map to go with it. If i convert it with the NormalMap plugin for paint.net do you think it will work?? @-The_Crasher-

Last edited:
It would be to detailed using the plugin, and will look very awkward in light.

Here is the proper normal with the proper alpha channel:

It would be to detailed using the plugin, and will look very awkward in light.

Here is the proper normal with the proper alpha channel:

Thank you :D could you do the same (inject alpha and normal) for this one? The Rivian and Loose styles use this one, the shaved pony uses the one you've converted already.

---------- Updated at 07:34 AM ----------

well...HEX-ing this b!tch has proven to be a lot more tedious than i initially anticipated.. I had to re-cook the hairstyle with these new textures but converted to DDS and DXT5 (interpolated alpha)..then find the .XBM files dumped into the "Uncooked" folder..

..then open these up in HEX editor and identify where the patterns start matching between the diffuse XBM and diffuse DDS..quite chore..

---------- Updated at 07:46 AM ----------

..well SOMETHING did work I guess..

..the diffuse is 1024x1024 and the normal is 512x512...I only edited these resolutions inside the xbm files to see if it has effect.. :D

---------- Updated at 08:34 AM ----------

well sh!t....doesn't work...I might not have injected the values properly for the diffuse (remaining 512x512, 256x256, 128x128, 64x64, 32x32, 16x16, 8x8, 4x4) and for the normal (256x256, 128x128, 64x64, 32x32, 16x16, 8x8, 4x4) although I left a headroom of 16 HEX values before injecting the next texture..

*sigh*..feel like dropping this whole thing FFS it's starting to get frustrating - spent another 4 hours trying to fix this..

I've linked the files (original XBMs) and the DDS ones that need injecting if anyone wants to have a go at this...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogjsrk6pms8lbzc/textures_workbench.zip?dl=0

---------- Updated at 01:52 PM ----------

ok, so I decided to try getting the "Rivian Ponytail" into W3 another way. Still needs some LUV but it might turn out alright..

Attachments

• rivian_d.jpg
    rivian_d.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 136
You could cut out the blocky verticies to the shape if the texture :)

;) might do just that...am working on trying to align the hair tie right now with the crown and the ponytails....I had to merge the tie to the crown meshes (so it doesn't blow in the wind) then remove the vertices from the hair tie mesh (so it's invisible) and re-adjust the pony..am just re-cooking now...if they're all in place, I'll get chopping on that ponytail to get it less blocky then adjust the tones (will leave a vanilla white option and maybe try to get a grey one as well) :D

sh!t...i forgot about the issue with merging meshes...hairtie stays fixed to the head alright but the UV map is screwed..

..gotta re-think my approach to this..maybe move the hairtie over to the crown mesh and "weld" it to the same armature as the crown...gonna try that now..

Last edited:
ok...the hairtie's now welded onto the crown so it's where it needs to be (doesn't blow in the wind etc.)..i do have a problem with textures ..FFS..this isn't going to end is it?

---------- Updated at 05:04 PM ----------

...and cooked without the Normal map..

...looks like there's no getting around the infamous CDPR alpha channel issue..ok, gonna have to drop this for the time being until this issue's gonna get sorted..not gonna try HEX-ing anything else again..

This may sound stupid but how about editing the vanilla meshes? is it too difficult?

It takes time to leatn but you ca either go in Sculpt or Edit mode in Blender..sculpt mode there's s Grab brush and in Edit mode you can either manipulate Vertices, Faces or Edges.

Last edited:
It takes time to leatn but you ca either go in Sculpt or Edit mode in Blender..sculpt mode there's s Grab brush and in Edit mode you can either manipulate Vertices, Faces or Edges.

What about subdivade with subsurface modifier the witcher 2 hear? It could smooth the edges. And you already done an amazing work.

Sorry for the off topic question but I'm sure everyone here can help me out.
when I try to export w2mesh to fbx, I get the following error: "wcc operation failed"
I'm using the modkitchen while keeping input/output address short.

I'm using 1.24 version of uncooked files so I didn't update the modkit.

What about subdivade with subsurface modifier the witcher 2 hear? It could smooth the edges. And you already done an amazing work.
Hey, tried it on the neck and it messes the UV map up..you have to manually remap the new tris or quads to the UV & that's a pain. Have a look through my latest posts, i tried it but it doesn't remove blockyness. What causes this is the problem with transparent textures..and when that's fixed, I'll re-cook this & release it ASAP

---------- Updated at 04:08 AM ----------

when I try to export w2mesh to fbx, I get the following error: "wcc operation failed"

Use the Export specific files tab..latest modkit might have an issue with 1.22 ...can't say for sure

---------- Updated at 05:19 AM ----------

...ah...what doesn't a good night's sleep fix?!

F-K yeah! time to get cracking on fixing that ponytail :D

Ahm shouldnt your input directory be inside of the uncooked folder?
Because them are both on different drives for you xD

Right, so this is the Vanilla white version with the W3-"baby-face"-Geralt:

Can't do much about the back of the head, as in where the hair converges (the old hair tie spot) because that would mean tinkering around with the crown which f*cks up the textures so this will have to do... Gonna do a "more grey" version now.

Top Bottom