[MOD - advice needed] Replacing W3 head with W2 head

+
ok..the vanilla white version is up on the nexus site..still struggling with the "more grey" option but i'll get the bastard, just a matter of time.

EDIT: making progress -

turns out you can tweak color tones via this line in the XML files:

<param name="VarianceColor" type="Color" value="140; 140; 140; 255" />

---------- Updated at 10:23 AM ----------

...and here's the "more grey" version to go with @Holgar82's mod.

that's about as close as I can get with this...if modkit's fixed, I might re-cook these to get some transparent textures on the ponytails (make them look more like hair strands). Gonna load this up on the nexus site now...my SSD's crying form all the writes it's endured in the past 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Ahm shouldnt your input directory be inside of the uncooked folder?
Because them are both on different drives for you xD

Thanks you were right. I had copied the necessary uncooked files elsewhere; thought only input/output directories are important in export phase.
I corrected the uncooked files location and linked the input inside it (instead of somewhere else) and the issue solved.

@TudorAdrian
there is this ancient reddit thread

it's showing W1, W2 hair on geralt. Now i dont know if its just photoshop, or actually did it, but i never saw it released anywhere :(
Myb you should contact author?

Yeap, it's photoshoped alright..listen, if the REDs release the ModKit fix then the hairstyles WILL look better. The "blockyness" is due to transparency being broken in the texture packing process.. help me hound them for updates on the Modkit thread and maybe they'll do something about it :D how 'bout that? ;)

---------- Updated at 12:12 PM ----------

@-The_Crasher- I'm wondering, would you be able to do an alpha-ready version of this one please?

Attachments

• rivian_d.jpg
    rivian_d.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 73
To alpha-channel when converting tga (other formats have not tried it) -> xbm not spoil, it is necessary to convert manually rather than through modkitchen, and not have to name the file and sochetnay _d01 _n01 ...

Yeap, it's photoshoped alright..listen, if the REDs release the ModKit fix then the hairstyles WILL look better. The "blockyness" is due to transparency being broken in the texture packing process.. help me hound them for updates on the Modkit thread and maybe they'll do something about it how 'bout that?

duh, it took them 1,5 months to release a "fix", which, as i've heard,, in fact, doesn't really fix anything. So at this point, i wouldn't expect them to do anything anymore. They have moved on a while ago.

To alpha-channel when converting tga (other formats have not tried it) -> xbm not spoil, it is necessary to convert manually rather than through modkitchen, and not have to name the file and sochetnay _d01 _n01 ...
Ok so the bit about the suffix _n01 or _d01 is clear; i tried them several times and these break the textures. I also tried importing alpha channel tga and dds files in but the edges are very SHARP..textures look like in the Borderlands game..there's no smooth transition. Other than using a HEX editor is there another way of obtaining a proper transparent channel with smooth transitions?? Thank you :)

Convert tga -> xbm -> tga. Alpha channel is not spoiled. If does not work, then the problem is something else. The Witcher minor errors lead to global problems.
PS If Packed with ModKitchen, then delete the folder every time Coocked and Uncooked.
https://yadi.sk/d/BNHCtsV7wtjNF

thank you :D trying it now ;)

---------- Updated at 03:32 PM ----------

@cemkey: nah, same problem I had when I tried using a HEX editor to inject them in..

..the mesh is missing entirely..

and if I use the TGA files to cook the mod, this is how it looks like:

the edges are very rough/sharp.

Last edited:
thank you :D trying it now ;)

---------- Updated at 03:32 PM ----------

@cemkey : nah, same problem I had when I tried using a HEX editor to inject them in..

..the mesh is missing entirely..

and if I use the TGA files to cook the mod, this is how it looks like:

the edges are very rough/sharp.

Sorry, if I missed it, but could you tell me the path to the original .xbm which you intend to modify/replace by the hair_d.tga you posted on dropbox?
I would also like to give it a try, see if I can get alpha of the diffuse to work ;)

Sorry, if I missed it, but could you tell me the path to the original .xbm which you intend to modify/replace by the hair_d.tga you posted on dropbox?
I would also like to give it a try, see if I can get alpha of the diffuse to work ;)

hey sure...you mean this? characters\models\geralt\coif\model ??

it's the meshes that have c03 in their name (ie. c_03_mg__shavedtail_pony)

---------- Updated at 03:55 PM ----------

Then maybe the problem is the mesh settings? Compare your original with a similar through W3Edit from Sarcen.

how can it be a mesh problem if I cook with the TGA or PNG and it works? what could I be missing??

Last edited:
Anything. Transparency type ....

you might have been onto something...recooking now ;) ...fingers crossed buddy!

---------- Updated at 04:45 PM ----------

@cemkey

ok, the original mesh has these transparency parameters enabled:

my mesh has none:

I tried setting them up exactly the same.

I export my mesh with the new transparency parameters enabled (like the original) but when I import to check if they took effect, Transparency is disabled :(

...Blender issue maybe???? never had this happen with editing/exporting material settings or vertex colors..it's like the parameters simply get ignored during exporting..anyway, this is a VERY GOOD lead..I'll try with a different Blender version as soon as I get the chance.

EDIT: think I found out what's wrong :D...re-working the meshes now ;)

..so I got the Transparency settings to get "SAVED" by enabling alpha settings on the Texture tab in Blender as well:

but the in-game result is still the same (rough/sharp edges)..

---------- Updated at 05:05 PM ----------

anyway, I repeat, @cemkey, this is a very good lead..I'll go through the original meshes' settings again and see if I can get anything working ;) Thank you again for the great piece of advice!

Last edited:
@-The_Crasher- I'm wondering, would you be able to do an alpha-ready version of this one please?

Done!

---------- Updated at 11:57 AM ----------

By the way I found a screen of the vanilla Geralt head texture on TW2`s mesh, might be wrong but those scalp textures are so W2...

This might be the VGX head on account of the round pupils.

Last edited:
Top Bottom