[MOD - advice needed] Replacing W3 head with W2 head

+
I think you have to make a small tutorial how to transfer vertex paint btw

I will, sure thing :D

1. Open a new blender project and import the mesh you want to transfer Vertex Colors From (Witcher 3 in my case)

2. Delete the unnecesarry LOD mesh (LOD1 in our case)

3. move to a new Blender layer and import the mesh you want to transfer vertex colors TO. In my case the Witcher 2 OBJ file :D

4. the mesh will not have the proper orientation (it will be facing toward the right of the screen)

5. rotate the Witcher 2 mesh with -90 degrees on the Z axis. Select the mesh and on the keyboard hit R, then Z then "-90" and Enter. :)

6. check the original mesh under the Vertex section it will have one or more colors under the Vertex Colors tab. We need to get these to the OBJ (witcher 2) mesh we imported.

7, check the new mesh (OBJ Witcher 2 one) and you will see that it has no Vertex colors under the same Vertex section.

8. Select both layers and make them active. Click on the top layer then SHIFT + Click on the second one.

9. Then, FIRST click on the mesh with NO vertex colors (Witcher 2 mesh). Then, SHIFT + Click on the mesh WITH vertex colors (Witcher 3 mesh).

10. Now, hit CTRL + SHIFT + T and select the Vcol option

this will transfer the vertex color data from the Witcher 3 mesh to the Witcher 2 mesh

11. Verify that the new mesh does indeed have Vertex Colors assigned to it

That should be it I guess. That's the process I followed. Might be a better way to do this maybe :) Hope this helps.

Last edited:
well a new ModKit's out (YeY!) and I've just tried recooking the Shaved Pony hairstyle mod now with the new "texturegroup" argument for "HeadWithDiffuseAlpha" and "HeadNormal"

SOMETHING does work now and although it's far from what it needs to be, it's progress. Gonna have to try stuff out to get the right one in.

EDIT: now we be gettin' places ;)

Still not happy enough with it yet so will have to toy around with the "texturegroup" parameter in the new modkit...maybe I'll get something even smoother.

Last edited:
well a new ModKit's out (YeY!) and I've just tried recooking the Shaved Pony hairstyle mod now with the new "texturegroup" argument for "HeadWithDiffuseAlpha" and "HeadNormal"

SOMETHING does work now and although it's far from what it needs to be, it's progress. Gonna have to try stuff out to get the right one in.

Hey m8, there's an easier way to do this.

You could use the texture provided already by cdpr instead of using those of TW2 and you won't have any problems, but you would have to adjust the UVs

This is what i got by using the tw2 ponytail with the textures of the tw3 ponytail

Hey m8, there's an easier way to do this.

You could use the texture provided already by cdpr instead of using those of TW2 and you won't have any problems, but you would have to adjust the UVs

This is what i got by using the tw2 ponytail with the textures of the tw3 ponytail

not a bad idea ;) thanks for bringing this up. I'm no UV map ninja but should be able to tackle this aspect.

:cheers:

EDIT: @Holgar82 what "texturegroup" did you use to import the mesh in? HeadDiffuseWithAlpha or CharacterDiffuseWithAlpha?

Last edited:
Neither, i didn't use the texturegroup at all. I did this some days ago with the previous modkit and with old uncooked files (i mean files which doesn't come from the 1.31 version of the game)

oh, I get you! just change the UV map layout on the mesh :p duh ..

Still not happy enough with it yet so will have to toy around with the "texturegroup" parameter in the new modkit...maybe I'll get something even smoother.

I AM FREAKING OUT HERE, MAN!

This is great! Is there any release date on the less blocky ponytail?

Top Bottom