[MOD] HD Monsters Reworked by Denroth

+
right now I'm trying to change the griffin's eyes. Unfortunately, the file in question is in common with many other characters in the game (found in common> texture> eyes).

so I would like to edit the griffon's .w2mesh file to change the texture file source ... the problem is that once you've created a new file and changed the file texture source for the griffin modkit 1.3's eyes it does not seem to recognize the file mesh and is not cooked.

Any suggestions for implementing this change? .. maybe as DLC?

thank you in advance

@MonarchX

Guest 3841499

The texture directory and texture file name can change, but the w2mesh file directory and w2mesh file name must stay the same. You can use The Wolven Kit (or W3Edit) to edit and link w2mesh to your new/custom textures. You must edit already-cooked/compressed w2mesh files with existing buffers and then place those edited w2mesh withw2mesh buffer files in Cooked directory.

If you uncooked the game, the w2mesh files you see are not the type you want to edit. You must use W3Edit or Wolven Kit to export already-cooked w2mesh files. Its easy to see the difference. Uncooked w2mesh files are large in size, usually larger than their buffer, but cooked w2mesh files are much smaller, usually much smaller than their buffers. Bottom line - only edit w2mesh files exported via W3Edit or WolvenKit, do not edit uncooked meshes, put edited meshes in Cooked folder and include buffers.

Editing already-imported w2mesh files corrupts their "CRC" and prevents them from being either cooked or uncooked correctly. Editing w2mesh files will also make your mod non-merge-friendly. To make it merge-friendly, w2mesh + buffers must be separate from textures
1. Monster textures
2. Monster meshes (delete texture.cache for this package if ModKit creates it)

I thank you for the explanation ... <3
so basically I have to cook the w2mesh files first ...

after which I have to edit the w2mesh file in the "cooked" folder .. done so I can pack them .. right?

the buffer file should not be changed?

EDIT: IT WORKS

you .. you are a precious resource :)

ty man <3

Last edited:
Update 02/05

some ingame screenshots :)
N.B. what you see is still in WIP, nothing is definitive and there are other changes that I have to apply.

leave feedback :)

Alghoul

Basilisk

Bies 1

Bies 2

Chort(this I think will radically change it as I did for the fire elemental )

Drowner

Ekimmara

Fire Elemental

Fogling

Ghoul

Earth Elemental

Gryphon

Katakan

Ancient Leshen

Last edited:
thanks for the support :)

here are some pictures of the latest changes.

Basilisk
Skin(beak, legs, claws etc..) and eye reworked

Bies
I tried to make her look more "demon style" .. I hope I succeeded :)

Chort
same speech of the Bies

Earth Elemental
I have reworked the textures to make it more realistic, but I will probably make some changes

Fire Elemental
brand new texture

Ghoul

I added many details and made the color more uniform and realistic

Golem of rock

added many details to the rocks(the golems are highly in WIP, probably undergoing changes.)

Gryphon
new eyes, feathers, beak and claws

Ice Golem
added more details and reflections

Ancient Leshen
reworked bark, moss, horns and clothes

Nekker

Guest 3841499

Looks really good, especially the Elementals. I only wish the game had better feature for monster finishers or something that would make the camera zoon-in really well on monsters. I didn't even know how detailed monsters were until I began using first-person free-fly camera mod to check out monsters

Thanks friend,

yes, unfortunately, with the enthusiasm to kill them, you do not pay much attention to all the details .. for this reason there are a few mods for the monsters .. but personally, during the gamplay, I met several monsters that made me distort the nose .. because of their colors too clear and too "cartoon style".

I only wish the game had to be a monster finishers or something that would make the camera really good on monsters.
It would be a great thing ..

soon i release a video and images of comparison with vanilla and HDMR .. the problem is that they are not fixed objects ... then make 2 identical screenshots is impossible (ingame) :)

Update 02/13
the beta is available for those who want to help me make tests and give me constructive suggestions / feedback.

I will send the file to those who request it (via PM)

little spoiler
Lycan WIP
https://i.imgur.com/wGYJXgY.jpg

Last edited:
This werewolf looks pretty cool, wow.

Regarding the eyes looks like nice draconic ones, can't imagine the vanilla ones, I don't paid enough attention to the monsters ever, as you said a posts before hahaha

Oh, I see the original eyes with the image posted already, I think looks better the green version than the red cold ones, but there are more Basilisks than the green ones, I think, maybe don't fit well with other variants, just need to test it. Good work mate!

Last edited:
at the moment we are 4 for yes and 2 no, it is the same feeling that I feel ... the new version is better, more realistic and alive, but there is something that does not convince me at all ... I will do a test to look for to keep the same color of the vanilla version .. but with the new texture ..

.. instead of appearing green, like snakes, I'll do it similar to a crocodile but orange / yellow .. at the bottom the basilisk in TW3 is a reptile bird XD
Post automatically merged:

greetings Witchers,
the new Lycans are ready and you?

https://i.imgur.com/JxeYnZA.jpg

Last edited:
I like the newer version better, personally. I think the only problem (though it could be the lighting) is that they look a bit too vibrant and gemstone-y, whereas real eyes are more mottled and a bit darker, even the bright-coloured ones.

Also, in hypocritical fashion considering my taste in ReShade, your Troll rework makes for a good test subject for the preset I'm making for myself, and looks quite nice up close:

https://i.imgur.com/jCmhwVi.jpg

I thank you for the feedback :)

so I should try to reduce a little "the reflected effect" of the eyes of the basilisk? I'll explain my choice to do it so "bright" ...

the eyes of the basilisk for some reason do not have the normal maps (N) quendi any texture you will always appear flat, dull and unrealistic ... so I tried to instill that brightness through the texture .. to make it look like this
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/A_crocodiles_eye_(7825799462).jpg
the eyes of a crocodile ... consider that in that image there is the sun high so the reflection is more accentuated .. but I could probably make them a little darker to better match the color of the skin.

trolls even with vanilla lighting seem much better from the changes I made ... but the version you have does not contain the final version;) that is much better: P

the reshade you posted from too much contrast ... in this way is likely to alter all the colors .... I suggest you stay on a yellowish / gray shade for the light and do not alter the shadows (they break the hairs with Hairworks)

this is new troll with vanilla lighting
https://i.imgur.com/vng6Hkz.jpg

Last edited:
Is it weird that I never really noticed until now that the trolls have such pronounced man-boobs? :p

And I don't think the reflective quality is the problem, I think it's more that the colouration is too universally bright. Like the picture you posted of the crocodile eye, it has a sort of texture to it, and I think that's more what makes the new version of the basilisk eye look a bit off. Though like I said, it might just be a result of the light at that particular angle, since you added reflectiveness, it looks like it's the same brightness in the colour all the way to the edges, and it makes it lack depth. Which, to be fair, is not something you're likely to notice in actual gameplay and only in screenshots, anyway.

so are you saying that if I change the edges of the eye it would be more realistic? mmm... I could do some tests

EDIT:
better?
obviously I will change the color of the eyelids
https://i.imgur.com/jtnzUvS.jpg

Last edited:
I think so, yes. It looks more like it's a 3D ball in a socket, rather than a decoration on top, if that makes sense.

If i have a say in the matter, my two cents...i think that giving green eyes to the basilisk (while it makes sense in the biological idea that is a lizard) it blends too much with the rest of the body. The original coloration (orange-red) makes the eyes stand out more in a good contrast (red and green).

@Forosnai thanks for the feedback

@ JUANMAS7ER sure, I opened this discussion to gather all the possible ideas and look for the best way ....
so, if I understand correctly, do you prefer the vanilla style more? ie the eye with the white outline and the orange iris? if you check the vanilla version the eyes are hardly distinguishable. I think no one has ever noticed the vanilla eyes of basilisk .. including myself with 500 hours of play .. but I can create a version with the new style that tends to orange / brown ..

Top Bottom