[Mod] Real Lighting

+
[Mod] Real Lighting

Hey everyone, this is my new lighting mod. It's aim is to provide a not-too-fantasy but rather realistic world of The Witcher 3. This mod was built from vanilla so it will be a journey, and it WILL have bugs. It currently only covers Velen and I'm working a bit on Novigrad. I am totally open to suggestions from the community. The current to do list for Velen is as follows: -fix bush color -fix night sky color -fix nighttime lightsources(too dim) -lighten shadows -clear up the ground level fog -lighten the front fog to make it appear as if it reacted to the sunlight

Everyone let me know what you want to see, I may release what I've done if anyone wants to bug seek or play around with it. Cheers

No Title

Attachments

• photo173401.jpg
    photo173401.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 375
Man it's so refreshing to see a mod that doesn't base itself on e3 or some prerelease stuff. I think it looks very interesting, please let me know when you make it available to try.

gcfs25;n9671731 said:
Man it's so refreshing to see a mod that doesn't base itself on e3 or some prerelease stuff. I think it looks very interesting, please let me know when you make it available to try.

sure thing :)

Guest 3841499

OMG - please make it happen! I always wanted a Neutral-type lighting in this game and yet nobody succeeded at making it happen. People went overboard one one direction or the other. All I ever wanted was the brown post-processing filter / LUT gone and have neutral colors, like in E3 2014 trailer, but so far nobody could accomplish that.

From what I understand, the biggest issue with W3 lighting is over-exposure and its the hardest thing to correct. I also think that if adjusting night-time lighting requires messing up day-time lighting, then it is best NOT do it and just tell people to use Atmospheric Nights mod. Otherwise you might end up with interior black level crush/clip

Are you modding on a accurately-calibrated monitor/display? That's the only way to achieve neutrality, but regardless, so far what I see is far more neutral than vanilla! I had all my displays calibrated precisely and accurately, so.if you need someone to test your lighting mod/preset for that neutrality on a standardized accurate display - I would be more than happy to test and provide feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
This actually looks really good. I like it a lot.

You should consider releasing a test version. There are a lot of people here who can test for bugs because they know what to look for.

gcfs25;n9671731 said:
Man it's so refreshing to see a mod that doesn't base itself on e3 or some prerelease stuff.
QFT!

I don't know why so many modders are hellbent on recreating the E3 look. It's impossible and it's limiting their creativity.

Last edited:
I`m just glad someone still takes his time to provide a lighting mod with a different approach other than E3 VGX GODLIKE predowngrade lighting

I’d happily try this out for bug testing and what not. This is definitely a lighting mod I could get behind. Great work!

I just tried it. And honestly, I think the game never looked better and more natural. The grass, the trees and the sky look very realistic. Keep it up and this could become the best lighting mod.

There's a transition bug when you enter Novigrad. Just cross any of the bridges from outside of Novigrad and you'll see it.

Guest 3841499

This looks awesome! If you think some foliage or grass needs adjustment that can threaten the overall lighting goal or quality, then it can also be done through textures, like E3 Grass or Contrast Textures. The same goes for weathers, night-time (Atmospheric Nights mod), and even special effects.

I suggest to listen to feedback, but stick to your own goal or else we may end up with STLM-like results or with something that already exists. I think Neutrality and Realism is the key to your mod and it should stay that way.

I agree with Monarch. Keep your original direction towards realism. Obviously listen to feedback and suggestions but too much will end up trying to cater to too many people and then it’ll be more work to keep people happy when it’s ultimately your mod at the end of the day.

I'm going to be gone until Wednesday, then I'll be coming back to work on the mod. What do you guys think so far?

Man I really enjoy it, it looks really nice. Of course the number of scenarios that need to be edited in terms of envs, quest envs, weathers etc is pretty huge, but you're of to a great start! Btw, just a curiosity, were you using the beautiful grass mod in your video?

Guest 3841499

This looks like Witcher 3 was meant to look like before the "brown-poo" filter was applied in 2015 version, which also made colors very bright and happy, opposite of Witcher 3 theme. I mean if you think about Witcher-series, I think the greatest lesson learned is that there are no black and white lines, only many shades of GREY. A lighting mod is ought to represent that very theme - gloomier, darker, more gray, fewer colors, no sharp contrast.

To the author I also suggest - get the non-lighting mods you want to fit FIRST and then make the lighting mod. For example, if you want your mod to only support Vanilla weathers, textures, graphics, then go ahead and use Vanilla game to make the lighting mod. However, if you want to make your mod fully compatible with some of the most popular mods, such as HD Project Reworked, Weathers Enhanced, Improved Particle Systems, Better FX, Increased Draw Distance, etc., then I think you should get those mods installed first and then work on your lighting mod. Doing it the other way around may result in more editing, changing, etc. Getting other graphics mods first may also make you realize that something can't be done with those mods or with lighting itself and maybe other mods, such as Realistic Contrast textures pack, may fit your mod better.

Hey guys, I'm back early :). I needed to clarify that in my video I was using 4k clouds and Beautiful Grass both by Boostin. Currently this mod is sort of being built around Beautiful Grass but I'll also make a second version with adjusted grass for those of you who don't wish to play with Beautiful Grass. Can anyone post screenshots of what their game looks like with Real Lighting? P.S. It has vanilla clouds as of right now because I'm not sure how to import better ones just yet. I'm trying to get help with that currently. :)

Top Bottom