[Mod Request] Extended Light Source Radius

+
[Mod Request] Extended Light Source Radius

I know this already exists in a torch mod, but would it be possible for someone to do the same with other light sources as well? I love playing the game with lighting mods which make night and caves a lot more realistic and dark. It would be awesome if we could get candles, brazier, Wall Torches etc (any sort of artificial lighting) to double its radius. I think this would be extremely popular and it would go great with a lot of the amazing lighting mods out there!

UPDATE!!!! I have since taken on this mod myself and will be releasing it at the same time as WLM version 9. This thread will be updated for any new stuff but currently everything is done and is just being tested and tweaked.

Last edited:
It is possible for sure, just need to tweak every light source entity in the game :)
Though radius tweak won't enough maybe if auto hide distance parameter will remain the same

Original:

Double radius + original brightness:

Double radius + double brightness:

DJ_Kovrik;n9619961 said:
It is possible for sure, just need to tweak every light source entity in the game :)
Though radius tweak won't enough maybe if auto hide distance parameter will remain the same

Original:

Double radius + original brightness:

Double radius + double brightness:

This would be amazing if someone could mod this up! DJ I super appreciate you taking the time to not only respond but also give some examples! I'm not exactly sure of the amount that each light would need to be tweaked but obviously keeping it within realism would be good while adding more visibility to a dark night or cave. Also can the auto hide distance parameter be edited?

Last edited:
opengrip;n9621231 said:
I'm not exactly sure of the amount that each light would need to be tweaked but obviously keeping it within realism would be good while adding more visibility to a dark night or cave.
Yes, perhaps some lightsources will require manual tweaking (instead of just doubling radius for everything)

opengrip;n9621231 said:
Also can the auto hide distance parameter be edited?
It can, all you need is a bit of time and patience :) and Mod Editor obviously

Last edited:
DJ_Kovrik;n9624231 said:
Yes, perhaps some lightsources will require manual tweaking (instead of just doubling radius for everything)

It can, all you need is a bit of time and patience :) and Mod Editor obviously

Would this be something you would be willing to work on DJ? I really don't know much about making mods or using mod editor, unfortunately. If so, I'm sure it would be amazing as all the work you have done in the past has been great!

opengrip;n9627031 said:
Would this be something you would be willing to work on DJ?
Well, there are 186 light source entity files in original game and I guess most part of them have to be tweaked so,,, no :D too time-consuming. Don't know if there is a way to handle lights through scripts

opengrip;n9627031 said:
I really don't know much about making mods or using mod editor, unfortunately. If so, I'm sure it would be amazing as all the work you have done in the past has been great!
I can make a quick tweaking guide if you wanna try to do it by yourself

This could be good fix for interiors for dark nights, i will commit myself to do this, but if DJ_Kovrik can help me with tutorial because i never try to eddit light sources directly, ENV have its limits on how bright i can make them, if not i guess i will have to do this myself, because i know he don't like me a lot.

Last edited:
Mishikedman;n9637991 said:
This could be good fix for interiors for dark nights, i will commit myself to do this, but if DJ_Kovrik can help me with tutorial because i never try to eddit light sources directly, ENV have its limits on how bright i can make them, if not i guess i will have to do this myself, because i know he don't like me a lot.

I agree! This would be amazing with interiors for darker nights! DJ hook milos up with that tweaking guide!

Guest 3841499

This is kind of what happens during many cut-scenes - light sources become stronger, so I would definitely love to see this mod released!

Also i think only light sources that needs to be tweaked are candles because they dominate interiors. To bad we can't place new ones inside some interiors, i stand corrected i can't do this but i know skacikpl did this in his Devil's pit mod. I don't know how hard this can be, but maybe he can share his experience with this?
Solution 1 is to have bigger radius of candle light,
Solution 2 is placement of new light sources inside low lit interiors.

DJ_Kovrik Can you maybe share solution for 1, if you can share tutorial on how to do this for one candle type i can apply same solution for all others, all credits to you, i can even send you files so you can upload them on Nexus, i aks you this, because it will halp a lot with balancing and i can make night's even more beautiful without fear on how this will impact interiors, because a lot of interiors in game share lighting with Base env, very strange design choice, but i believe they did this because they rushed to release game.

If solution 2 is not very hard to implement maybe we can mix both for best results. We can change this game in dramatic way :)

DJ_Kovrik;n9627311 said:
Well, there are 186 light source entity files in original game and I guess most part of them have to be tweaked so,,, no :D too time-consuming. Don't know if there is a way to handle lights through scripts

I can make a quick tweaking guide if you wanna try to do it by yourself

Hey DJ seems there are a few people interested in that tweaking guide! Would be amazing if you could pass along the information :)

This would be the perfect addition to final WLM. I can help if there will be a tweaking guide... pleeease DJ Kovrik :)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the hint!! You've edited for your "MoreShadows" modification the folder "environment\decorations\light_sources\complex". What is the content of this folder? This folder is only for shadows or do we have to edit the contents for brightness and radius in this one also?

hoeness23;n9656111 said:
Thank you very much for the hint!! You've edited for your "MoreShadows" modification the folder "environment\decorations\light_sources\complex". What is the content of this folder? This folder is only for shadows or do we have to edit the contents for brightness and radius in this one also?
If you wanna tweak all lights you have to edit everything.
Or you can edit just some particular lights only, in this way you can use Debug console extensions from Skacik to check ingame what entity file used in chosen lightsource

Top Bottom