[Mod Request] Parallel Subtitles for Language Learners

+
[Mod Request] Parallel Subtitles for Language Learners

So, first of all, I am making this thread because I don't know if this is even technically possible, but I've seen mods that add new UI elements on screen and new menu options in the main menu, so maybe?

Anyway. I bet for most of you guys here who aren't native English speakers, playing games in English was a great way to get better at the language - and these days, games like Witcher 3 which have full translations and voice acting until multiple major languages are a great way to get practice with any of them.

The problem is, this method works best if you are at language fluency B2+ which is to say even you might not be able to freely express yourself in speech or writing with 100% fluency, but you more or less understand everything that's going on even in something complicated and fast-moving like an RPG. But if you're still at a fluency level where you're struggling with the more complicated sentences and vocabulary, well, playing something like W3 in that language is hard. If you're having trouble with something in a menu or quest log or in an inventory description, well, at least time doesn't move there so you can ALT+TAB and open the dictionary and work it out. Dialogue, though... Dialogue moves quick and it doesn't wait for you and the dialogue is where the language gets most complicated in these games.

I've been dabbling in learning Polish by myself and been hoping to eventually play Witcher 3 in its mother tongue, so I've been wondering, is it possible to create a mod that will show you the same line of any given dialogue in two languages at the same time? I'm thinking it'd look something like this (forgive my clumsy five minute photoshop):

So, there's be an additional sub-menu for this MOD in the main menu, where you get to pick the Target Language (the one you're learning, the one the UI and all text are in by default) and also the Translation Language (that's what the mod would add in the new UI elements, the language that you are fluent in). And when the game would pulls up a string of dialogue it would not only put the default language version of the string in the default dialogue UI element, but also the Translation Language version of the string into the new UI element below it.

If this was technically feasible with the modding tools available, that would be amazing and really useful to a lot of people. And if that could be done, one more feature that would really help is an element that shows the translation of whatever dialogue option you currently have selected, something like this:

Finally, I suspect this can't be done, but the next-level awesome shit would be also to figure out a way to temporarily translate the inventory and quest log entries by pushing a button or something, but that's not something I am even hoping for.

I would be super-grateful if anyone could provide any thought or assistance.

EDIT: Sigh. Either I'm really bad at it, or uploading images to the forum software is a big wonky. Just going to

Attachments

• photo191652.png
    photo191652.png
    857.9 KB · Views: 150
  • photo191672.jpg
    photo191672.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Guest 2364765

I don't think it's easily doable due to the fact that the game is hardwired to load only one VO and one text language at a time.
To achieve this you'd have to literally repack one of existing languages to have each line double as it's own and your secondary language.

And doing that would also run into limitation that subtitle system cuts or does not display messages that are too long.

Hello,

Maybe a bit late, but I have found an in-game workaround to display dual subtitles.

As said in the last comment, you have to edit the existing language file and add the second language there.

The problem is that the subtitles files are compressed and you have to use some existing program that does the decoding of the files to get them in CSV format to make them readable.

That said, I'm developing a program to grab all the key-value subtitles of the second language files and add them to the files containing the main language ones. So, for example, you could play with the English subtitles and display the Spanish translations as well.

If anyone is interested in this program before I upload it publicly or has any questions about how to make it work, please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20221023_005114.jpg
    IMG_20221023_005114.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 189
Top Bottom