[mod] The Witcher: Black Edition - UI & HUD Redesign

+
[mod] The Witcher: Black Edition - UI & HUD Redesign

[size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Description[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]This is a complete user interface visual overhaul for the RPG game "The Witcher". It also includes many other improvements/alternatives which all fully fit the new darker style presented by the Black Edition.[size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Features[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]- Fully revamped UI and HUD. All elements have been retextured to be in line with the black/grey/red style of the Black Edition. This includes all sub-screens, buttons, menus, mini-games, and even the main menu. The heads-up-display in the game has been changed to a dark grey color, which looks especially cool during the night, and when in combat now the entire HUD lights up red instead of just parts of it (check the screens). In addition, all other UI elements have been made to match, everything from the meditation menu to the main menu when you start the game has been redone to make everything a bit more badass.- Geralt's armor, witcher's steel sword, and witcher's silver sword have been retextured to fit well with the dark theme. All of these items are in high definition in comparison to their vanilla counterparts. The steel sword has also been given a custom blade based on real life photography in order to give it the metallic look that the previous steel swords lacked.- The scar across Geralt's eye being replaced by a "wolverine style" scar on the side of his face. This was done because at the end of the intro cinematic he gets clawed by Adda and three bloody claws rip over the screen, giving the impression that he would have suffered an injury leaving three scars. You will also notice that Geralt's eyes have been made a bit brighter to match the way they appear in the game trailers and the intro movie. His face texture has also been made higher definition to match his new gear.- Bye bye redhead fever! Shani has been made a brunette and also her green and gold outfit has been changed to red and gold. Now she actually looks like a medic and not a female version of robin hood. Triss has also been changed, and now has raven black hair to give her the look that a true powerful sorceress should have. Adda has been left with red hair, because it needed to match her in "monster form". Besides, we can deal with one main female character being a redhead now that it's not ALL of them anymore :) [size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Installation[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]Unpack the ZIP file, then place all of the extracted folders into your override directory. If you do not yet have an override directory, then simply create one in the \data folder in your main game directory.I highly recommend keeping all Black Edition files in their original folders when you place them into your override directory, which will make it simple if you ever wish to uninstall this mod (or parts of it). This will also ensure that no other mods conflict with it.[size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Credits & Special Thanks[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]The Black Edition UI and HUD elements were all created by Roxtar, as were the improvements to Geralt, Shani, and Triss, as well as the blade of the dark steel sword. The hilt of the dark steel sword and blade of the dark silver sword were both originally designed by Kimono, and the hilt of the silver sword and first version of the dark armor were designed by Essentin.Special thanks goes out to the above mentioned modders whose work helped me to make the Black Edition a full and complete package.I'd also like to thank Lochlain because his previous work on Geralt's face (removing the scar) gave me the idea to replace the scar with one based on the injury Geralt apparently received before the game began.Last but certainly not least, I want to thank witsw and Corylea for giving me the information I needed to learn how to mod this game, or I'd still be trying to figure out how to export the .DDS files![size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Use My Work, Please![/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]If any other modders want to use any of the work I've done on the Black Edition for your own projects, feel free to use whatever you want. We really need more mods for this great game, and I encourage anyone willing to join in and help. [size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Screen Shots[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]
[size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Download[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]Click to download at ModDB

Very nice.Close-up screenshots of both swords would be nice.I definitely like the black leather jacket. I'd also use the swords but those black hilts bother me a little.For most players it's irrelevant but Triss, Shani and Geralt appearance all comes from the book. Your retextures are very nice but it's not canon. Both Shani and Triss are red and Geralt recieved a serious throat wound from Adda. He almost bled to death.Btw. your mod also unlocks armor potion and weapon slots?

It's your mod making the potion and weapon slots. I don't have the combat balances installed because right now since I need the game to be easy while I make mods, but I have most other aspects of your mod on. I don't feel like getting my ass handed to me while I run around trying to take screen shots :)Here's the requested close up:
I haven't gotten the chance to read the book, so my knowledge of the Witcher universe is limited to what I can learn from the game. It's good to know that stuff now though, because I definitely want to make my mods as close to accurate as possible in most cases. Now that I know about what happened to Geralt, I'm thinking about putting the old scar back on his eye and placing the new ones down on his throat, I'll try and see how it looks. As far as the girls, I'd personally rather have them not fit with the lore because having every major female character have red hair, while almost all other females in the game have blond/brown/black hair is just strange. Besides, Geralt will bang anything he can get his hands on (at least with me controlling him, lol) so I don't think he will mind if we change their hair a bit ;)However, that is just my opinion and I'm sure everyone will have their own, so anyone who wants to keep the vanilla Triss and Shani, just delete the "NPC" folder from the package. Also, to remove the swords and armor delete the "Dark Witcher" folder. If you don't want anything except for my UI and HUD, then delete all folders except for "Black Edition UI".

Roxtar said:
Besides, Geralt will bang anything he can get his hands on
In books he also isn't sleeping with every woman :). There are only few he slept with. All of them were special in some way.

I guess that just proves a game like this can never be 100% true to it's source material, because the player is given a huge amount of choice in this game and not all players will make the same choices the real Geralt would have made.You seem to know a lot about the real story, so maybe you could answer this question I've always had: would the Geralt from the books have slain ALL monsters in the game regardless of their nature? I personally let those live that didn't seem to be truly evil when I had the choice to do so, but I always wondered if Geralt would have just killed all monsters simply because that is a Witcher's purpose.

No. Geralt had a dragon for a friend. He has a rule that he never kill a member of dying species or unique creatures. Remember the history Dandelion has said on Shani's party? Also Queen of the Night in the brothel said about their common friend - a vampire.Geralt have slain all evil monsters. All that make innocent suffer.BTW. Geralt was wondering with Dandelion if he could defeat his vampire companion (they didn't know him well at that time and didn't trust him). Well, Geralt doubted if it's possible :)

Guest 2005166

Hey, I like this red bg. That´s really sweet. With black hair Triss almost looks like Yennefer, what´s really funny, as Triss acted pretty much like Yennefer in the game, although she was descibed more "girlish". Possibly he got such a scar on his throat.

I put the original scars back on Geralt, but faded them substantially so they didn't look days/weeks old like in vanilla. They now look like aged scars should look.Next I moved my newly created scars down onto his neck in order to be accurate with what Flash said happened to him. This final version of Geralt is my favorite by a long shot.Download below, if you have the Black Edition installed just place it into the "Geralt" folder in your override directory. If no Black Edition, then just pop the single file into your override.http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zwq32vjhjuk

Roxtar said:
I put the original scars back on Geralt, but faded them substantially so they didn't look days/weeks old like in vanilla. They now look like aged scars should look.Next I moved my newly created scars down onto his neck in order to be accurate with what Flash said happened to him.
Oh, I like it! He should have scars on his neck from the striga fight.Thanks!

If I download the black edition now, the new scars are already implemented? Or should I download the add-on file?Thanks

You know, I really like this mod. I only wish for more instructions on the files created so that we, the users, have the option of removing unwanted files and customizing our own game. For example, what if I don't like the red color on every screen? Tell us to remove certain files to remove the effect. Now that would truly help. But, of course, just an idea. :peace:

Does anyone know if this mod works fine with the regular enhanced edition (1.4)? My sound card doesn't play nicely with 1.5 so I don't have the game updated to that.

Harfang said:
If I download the black edition now, the new scars are already implemented? Or should I download the add-on file?Thanks
For now you need to download the add-on file. In the next version of the Black Edition I'll include the new scars as Geralt's default texture.

56236 said:
You know, I really like this mod. I only wish for more instructions on the files created so that we, the users, have the option of removing unwanted files and customizing our own game. For example, what if I don't like the red color on every screen? Tell us to remove certain files to remove the effect. Now that would truly help. But, of course, just an idea. :peace:
The only logical way to go about this would be for the users to install the Nvidia DDS thumbnail viewer, that way you could see what the files are and remove those that you don't want. There are just too many files for me to make a full list with descriptions of what they all are.

56236 said:
56236 said:
@Roxtar: i recommend merging Kimonos' Black Silver Sword mod too, you can easily see what sword you have at hand and it' fits the black theme :)
Hey, I tried this, but I still could not activate the files. Where exactly do we have to put them in order for them to work?
You need to override (replace) to sword texture that came with the Black Edition. To do this just put Kimono's files into the "Dark Witcher" folder.

Top Bottom