[MOD] Witcher 3 RE:mods

+
I decided to publish my work which was completed by 60% to collect criticism.
Recycled everything in the game (quests, effects, environment, light, some textures and more).
More than 8000 files have been changed.
I was able to achieve editing of those elements of the game that were not editable.

What's changed in the game:
1. Completely reworked environment (removed all fake lighting, redesigned light, effects) environment has become more realistic. This is not STLM mod and other mods Everything is processed from the beginning.
2. Recycled all the light sources, they use two point lights and cast a shadow)
3. All quests have been reworked (the light sources that highlight the characters have been removed)
4. Fixed bugs with light sources that spread light through objects)
5. and much more Already done a lot of work changed more than 8000 files and the size is close to 500mb.

Screenshots and links to the original video will post later. youtube can not transfer the picture I see in the game.

Last edited:
Why is everything so muted? The entire image on your mod is merged into lifeless picture and the removal of dialogue light caused the effect that I feared: Faces look simply flat and uninsteresting. You can see this on the tavern fight cutscene, where on vanilla you can see how the facial expressions on the characters are highlighted by the lighting, even if artificial, while on your mod its just dark and muted. The subsequent dialogue with Yennefer has the same issue, you simply cannot see the details on her facial expressions, clothing or in any of the Main Characters.

In Kaer Morhen the shadows have been brightened so much that in exterior shots it looks incredibly flat. Even if some shots, especially the ones where you show the rain at night do look "more realistic" the end result is incredibly muted and lifeless and I very much prefer vanilla in that regard.

Is vanilla perfect? No. Are there dialogues where lights could be reworked? Absolutely. But I wouldn't say that removing all lightsources in dialogue is an improvement, especially when we can tweak the intensity for them at a TOD level.

The entire image on your mod is merged into lifeless picture and the removal of dialogue light caused the effect that I feared: Faces look simply flat and uninsteresting.
Yup. I don't know why people are so obsessed with removing fake lighting from a game that obviously needs it in order to look decent.

If the game still had volumetric lighting, it wouldn't need fake lighting. So just leave it be. You can play around with the values and increase or decrease fake lighting, but straight up removing it will make the game look like crap in most cutscenes that take place in night time and indoors. Try this with the bathhouse and see how it looks, or any quest that takes place in a cave. You won't be able to see shit, and the faces will look flat like it's a PS2 game.

So I've been doing this mod so long
Altering almost everything, that would be a nice picture.

I once again say that in the video are lost halftonehere are some screenshots at night

witcher3 2018-07-01 14-20-21.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 14-20-25.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 14-21-06.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 14-21-57.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 14-23-00.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 14-23-37.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 14-24-17.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 14-24-33.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 14-24-45.jpg

Last edited:
Is vanilla perfect? No. Are there dialogues where lights could be reworked? Absolutely. But I wouldn't say that removing all lightsources in dialogue is an improvement, especially when we can tweak the intensity for them at a TOD level.

I want to achieve natural light where the candle does not shine like a spotlight.
The night is dark, and in the cut-scene there is no light in the back like a 200w light bulb

Well, good luck on the path, I guess. If you like it that's all that really matters in the end. Just FYI, you know where else people use fake lighting to create a visible scene? Movies. The only movie AFAIK that doesn't use anything other than natural light is Barry Lyndon, and that took a tremendous amount of effort. Effort that can't be recreated in a video game. Especially not one like TW3. You can't achieve natural light in TW3 because the engine doesn't even try to simulate it. It's just a bunch of light probes. Your mod will end up making the game look less realistic.

All light sources use 2 point lights. the first shines because a fire or a candle should shine
the second illuminates a dozen meters of soft light

witcher3 2018-07-01 15-22-23.jpg
In this screenshot, there is the effect of a small haze. I do not know what to leave it for.
on the rest of the screenshot I turned it off

witcher3 2018-07-01 15-23-13.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 15-24-47.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 15-25-00.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 15-26-08.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 15-26-26.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 15-26-54.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 15-27-21.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 15-27-47.jpgwitcher3 2018-07-01 15-28-30.jpg
The intensity of the internal lighting can now be adjusted by a second light source, use no more fake light.

If you think that the castle is quite dark, although it's night
day 35% lighter
leave comments
I for this purpose created a topic that would consult and adjust my work.

Last edited:
Some of the comments here are edging over the line. Feedback is fine, but trying to argue that someone "shouldn't be doing it this way" is not. Everyone is free to mod however they please. Everyone is free to like or dislike whatever they want. No one is free to impose their views on others.

Example:

"I think it's better to strike a balance between directional and ambient lighting so things remain visible." (<--- This is okay.)

"Why do people insist on removing all the fake lighting? That makes no sense." (<--- This is not okay.)

Negative feedback is not "derision". If your arguments cannot be posted respectfully, please don't post.

Yeah I gotta agree with some of the others that the fake lighting actually looks better than not having it, and removing it is not exactly to my liking. To me it looks flat, but if it fits your tastes better then why not?

Changing the entire game's lighting is quite the task, but I wish you all the best on your path to perfecting your mod! Some of the nighttime pictures you posted actually look quite decent, I like that it's darker than vanilla.

Finally, I can't believe that someone actually knows how a rainy day looks like! I've suggested so many time that the sky should be pale, fitted with clouds and that the general look should have been a "white and gray scenario"... love it!
The only aspect that I don't like so far is that by removing the fake lighting you get a desaturated look on the image in general... You should work on this imo, you could still get something very good out of this!

Last edited:
I'll sort out the work that has been accumulated a little and tonight or tomorrow I'll record a video with a passage where you can see how everything looks like, including the transition to rainy weather.

I know what and how it looks and this is not the end result.

And soon I'll post separately the remote quest light.
he looks great on vanilla.

Why I decided to remove it.
because when I made the night darker, the quest light was very prominent in dark scenes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom