Modding tools?

+

Madae

Forum veteran
Looking at perhaps getting in to modding the game. Is there something I can look at that will tell me all I need to know? Do I have to download redengine or something?

Maybe also joining the Cyberpunk 2077 Modding Community Discord :)

Looking at perhaps getting in to modding the game. Is there something I can look at that will tell me all I need to know? Do I have to download redengine or something?
First of all, I should say that Cyberpunk's REDmod is very similar to TW3's MODkit, rather than TW2's REDkit. So it's basically a command line tool. You call it from cmd and you use commands to extract archive files and other things. You can download REDmod as a free DLC on GOG, Steam, and EGS (So you must own the game in one of those marketplaces before downloading the modding tool)

If you're not good at working with command line tools and cmd, then use the WolvenKit integration. WolvenKit has an amazing Environment. It might be confusing at the start but you'll get used to it.

Apart from the ability to extract archive files, you can also edit scripts (the language is very similar to TW3 and TW2's, WitcherScript).

You can also download a blender plugin from the game's website, allowing you to edit animations.

About the tutorials, CDPR has created a thread here in the forums where they post modding tutorials. There's also a PDF which explains audio modding and other stuff in the same section where you download the blender plugin.

I should tell you that you can't create new large storylines/quests with this tool.

I hope I helped and happy modding!

Last edited:
With the source code of their internal engine in hand, the developers could make a full-fledged game editor for modders. It's a strange decision to support the creation of mods, but not to make a full-fledged editor. As a level designer I'd really like a full-fledged level editor, but so far just a wet dream)

With the source code of their internal engine in hand, the developers could make a full-fledged game editor for modders. It's a strange decision to support the creation of mods, but not to make a full-fledged editor. As a level designer I'd really like a full-fledged level editor, but so far just a wet dream)
Some of the middle-ware they use won't let them to release a level editor for modders. They wanted to create another REDkit for TW3 and even promised the modding tools, however they couldn't do it for the reason I mentioned.

Perhaps you should use the capabilities of Blender and give the opportunity to work with meshes and colliders. The same navigation grid can be expressed as a mesh in blender itself, and then with the help of a tool from the developers to convert it into a game Asset, which is understood by the engine. You can also implement a system of flags for objects and collisions.

Weren't the developers supposed to give us actual modding tools, even hiring some of the red kit modders to make them or was that just more launch damage control B.S?

Weren't the developers supposed to give us actual modding tools, even hiring some of the red kit modders to make them or was that just more launch damage control B.S?
First of all, they didn't promise ANYTHING, they just said that together with the developers of WolvenKit, they are working on a modding tool. What did you expect from them?

Perhaps you should use the capabilities of Blender and give the opportunity to work with meshes and colliders. The same navigation grid can be expressed as a mesh in blender itself, and then with the help of a tool from the developers to convert it into a game Asset, which is understood by the engine. You can also implement a system of flags for objects and collisions.
That's an interesting Idea, it's also very similar to the way CDPR designed the levels for TW1, they couldn't do it in Aurora level editor so they did it in 3dsmax and then imported the levels as a single mesh into the engine.

Sorry for late response, I'm not that active here in the forums.

Last edited:
Them confirming they were working with outside developers of a mod kit on a mod kit makes a "promise" 100% irrelevant as the "confirmation" renders no need for a promise.

Them confirming they were working with outside developers of a mod kit on a mod kit makes a "promise" 100% irrelevant as the "confirmation" renders no need for a promise.

They never made a statement on a modding tool kit. What Yigsoft was hired for is work on improving official mod support. This is straight from the CP2077 modding Discord:

"We are extremely pleased to announce that @Blumster, @Nightmarea, @rfuzzo and I will be joining CDPR under my and @Nightmarea's company (https://yigsoft.dev/). We will be working on various projects related to the Cyberpunk 2077 backend and the game's modding support. We are really excited for this and we really hope we can help to bring Cyberpunk 2077 to the next level!"

Nothing about a modding toolkit, just modding support in general.

This is straight from Vatier, here:

We are working with Yigsoft on the development of Cyberpunk 2077 modding tools. The modding community has always been very important to us and we are happy to be working with them side by side on further expanding the tools which are available to modders.

Which is as official as it gets in this case. Just official modding tools.

People, like yourself, just extrapolated that to mean "AWESOME TOOL KIT INCOMING!!!" without any indication of such.

REDmod certainly fulfills what they actually promised. That's not to say I'm not disappointed in REDmod myself, I am as I was hoping for more, but as far as fulfilling what they said they would, it does. Furthermore, there is no indication that this is it. That nothing else is coming. There is also no indication that there is more coming. We just don't know.

One could assume they would drop other official modding tools after the release of the one and only DLC PL. After that no more updates, save from a few hotfixes and patches, then we have a good few years to wait till the sequel. I don't see this game dying anytime soon, and not with the amount of quality mods the talented community give us. But then again, they might not release any official modding tools, I'm sure the modders will though.

Now we know that Cyberpunk 2 will use Unreal engine and therre will be only one DLC and that the cyberpunk engine is discontinued. Now that bethesda annonce the release of the creator kit next year.
What prevent the release of the cyberpunk editor ?

Now we know that Cyberpunk 2 will use Unreal engine and therre will be only one DLC and that the cyberpunk engine is discontinued. Now that bethesda annonce the release of the creator kit next year.

Cyberpunk editor? Pretty simple - it doesn't exist.

I'm assuming you mean their own in-house tools here. That won't happen. CDPR can't just give us their in-house tools and go "have fun!". There is a variety of reasons why companies don't release their in-house tools.

I'm not sure why you're bringing Bethesda into this, they're two completely unrelated companies, but since you are... even Bethesda doesn't release it's in-house tools. They create tools specifically for the modding community.

Completely different ;)
Creation Kit is tools that Bethesda release and update for each of their games running on Creation Engine since a decade. Beside, Bethesda games on Creation Engine might not have the best graphics nor offer the best performance, but they allow modders to add or change pretty much whatever they want, and rather "easily".
You can be sure that just after the release of their next game (likely TES VI), Bethesda will also release an updated version of the Creation Kit.

Now we know that Cyberpunk 2 will use Unreal engine and there will be only one DLC and that the cyberpunk engine is discontinued. Now that bethesda announce the release of the "creation-kit" next year.
What prevents the release of the cyberpunk editor?
Third party tools that are used in the REDengine to make cyberpunk, don't allow them to release a REDkit modding tool. The same happened with TW3. They wanted to release another REDkit for TW3 but due to licensing issues, they couldn't.

Top Bottom