Modding

+
Hello,
I'm not sure where I should put this so if this is posted in the wrong section my apologies.. While Cyberpunk 2077 was just released I can't help but think about modding already. I would love to see different HUDs *like the corpo beginning with the the stock ticker* and have a few ideas in mind. Modding in general interests me but have no prior knowledge of it. Reading around different forums there was mention that HUDs are an easy way to get into modding. I have been using Photoshop/AE for years but for all I know in the modding world that could be like a chef thinking he can put on a timing chain because he knows how to whip up some crepes. My questions are.. Where would someone with no prior knowledge begin with modding in terms of CDPR games?.. And does PS/AE even play a factor with modding or should I just learn something like Visual Studio/C++?
Thanks for any info!

-Costello

Hello,
I'm not sure where I should put this so if this is posted in the wrong section my apologies.. While Cyberpunk 2077 was just released I can't help but think about modding already. I would love to see different HUDs *like the corpo beginning with the the stock ticker* and have a few ideas in mind. Modding in general interests me but have no prior knowledge of it. Reading around different forums there was mention that HUDs are an easy way to get into modding. I have been using Photoshop/AE for years but for all I know in the modding world that could be like a chef thinking he can put on a timing chain because he knows how to whip up some crepes. My questions are.. Where would someone with no prior knowledge begin with modding in terms of CDPR games?.. And does PS/AE even play a factor with modding or should I just learn something like Visual Studio/C++?
Thanks for any info!

-Costello

Great idea. I wish you luck and everything you want to achieve. :cool:

Copy/paste from another thread:

Fix all the engine related stuff for PC, and anything else required to fix the game for console users. And then, give me an "official" suite of tools to mod with.

I'll fix/add what I want to fix/add myself. As I did with mods that I built for Skyrim and Fallout 4 with Bethesda's official kits. This game screams "MOD THE SH*T OUTTA ME, PLEASE!" Look to the longevity this move afforded to those games. 8 years for Skyrim. 7 for FO4. And modders are STILL adding content, and both are still immensely popular. Including stuff that was cut from them. Hell, Oblivion is still getting new mods after nearly 15 years!

Do this, and a lot of the issues the game is plagued with right now will be forgiven and long forgotten within a couple of months.

After that, focus on DLC content within reason (and don't get cute with dumb stuff like adding backwards looking content). Forget the multiplayer stuff for a year or two. Grow the game first. Fix and improve the reputation people expected CDPR to have with this game's launch.

Saw this too.

Not quite what I had in mind though. Third party tools always require learning a bunch of other stuff just to make a simple mod. An official toolkit akin to Bethesda's Creation Kits would be a LOT more effective, and are capable of offering much more support for creating many different types of mods. Like a built-in scripting tool for quest mods, world space creation to add new places to see, and music tools (how cool would it be to create your own custom radio station with your own choice of tracks?), etc..

And official tools are easier to provide support for. Bethesda's kits are basically stripped down versions of the tools they used to actually build the games they're provided for.

This is Bethesda's secret weapon for success in their games. And why they're still going strong for years after release. With help from modders, players are quick to forgive Bethesda's screw-ups, because they know whatever the devs don't get to fixing, modders will take up the slack and fix whatever they can, while adding hours and even days of content to their games.

Not to mention that an official tool kit can be "officially" supported. Which is always a plus for the relationship between devs and modders.

Hello,
Thanks for any info!

-Costello

It's a bit hard to really direct you at this point in time since modding for CP is kind of on hold at the moment. No official tools and the removal of the console have tremendously slowed down any progress.

As Iskras pointed out, the Nexus is the best place for beginners to... begin... nexusmods.com that is.

Head to the forum, there aren't really any helpful tip for CP specifically yet but you might as well give a look at The Witcher's side of things. Since it uses an earlier version of the red engine it can give you some insight into what modding might be like in CP. I'm hoping for some better tools myself as those provided TW3 weren't comparable to what the likes of Bethesda offers.

If it can encourage you a bit, your skills with Photoshop/After effects definitely give you an edge over a lot of beginning modders. Some of the most popular mods of all times are HUDs and other UI related mods.

Mingle with the modders, most importantly respect the modders work. Most modders will gladly help you and even provide assets for you if you ask but if you mess up once, you're pretty much screwed.

Last edited:
Copy/paste from another thread:
110% Agree!

Thank you kind sir!

I wish that you will succed you too at going nothing ^_^. And maybe one day i will stumble on your mod:)
Thank you so much! :D

Saw this too.

Not quite what I had in mind though. Third party tools always require learning a bunch of other stuff just to make a simple mod. An official toolkit akin to Bethesda's Creation Kits would be a LOT more effective, and are capable of offering much more support for creating many different types of mods. Like a built-in scripting tool for quest mods, world space creation to add new places to see, and music tools (how cool would it be to create your own custom radio station with your own choice of tracks?), etc..

And official tools are easier to provide support for. Bethesda's kits are basically stripped down versions of the tools they used to actually build the games they're provided for.

This is Bethesda's secret weapon for success in their games. And why they're still going strong for years after release. With help from modders, players are quick to forgive Bethesda's screw-ups, because they know whatever the devs don't get to fixing, modders will take up the slack and fix whatever they can, while adding hours and even days of content to their games.

Not to mention that an official tool kit can be "officially" supported. Which is always a plus for the relationship between devs and modders.
Don't even get me started on quests.. I've been writing so many ideas down *I know I'm getting WAY ahead of myself* and I was just thinking about how I wish I could play some of my tunes in CP so yeah that would be awesome! Bethesda is kind of why I didn't worry too much about CP prior to release. Even if the company bails on the game completely I know given the right tools and enough time the modding community would overhaul the entire game to make it even more amazing.

It's a bit hard to really direct you at this point in time since modding for CP is kind of on hold at the moment. No official tools and the removal of the console have tremendously slowed down any progress.
I figured as much. Was a bit of a gut punch when I read that in the patch notes with all the ideas swirling through my head.

As Iskras pointed out, the Nexus is the best place for beginners to... begin... nexusmods.com that is.

Head to the forum, there aren't really any helpful tip for CP specifically yet but you might as well give a look at The Witcher's side of things. Since it uses an earlier version of the red engine it can give you some insight into what modding might be like in CP. I'm hoping for some better tools myself as those provided TW3 weren't comparable to what the likes of Bethesda offers.
I remembered Nexus the minute I hit the site. I spent many hours browsing that site in my Skyrim days as a mage weed farmer who slayed macho man randy savages on the weekend.:cool: So stick with the red engine until further notice gotcha

If it can encourage you a bit, your skills with Photoshop/After effects definitely give you an edge over a lot of beginning modders. Some of the most popular mods of all times are HUDs and other UI related mods.
Nice! Like previously mentioned I'm really new to this so I was crossing my fingers that I could use some of those skills towards it and it not just be all coding.

Mingle with the modders, most importantly respect the modders work. Most modders will gladly help you and even provide assets for you if you ask but if you mess up once, you're pretty much screwed.
I'm not great with mingling(I'm weird where I overthink everything thinking it's a stupid comment and retype 70 times until I just delete it all) but respect is my jam. Regardless of it being a professional modder or someone who is releasing their first.. If you spent time creating something you have my respect. Thank you for all the info!

I remembered Nexus the minute I hit the site. I spent many hours browsing that site in my Skyrim days as a mage weed farmer who slayed macho man randy savages on the weekend.:cool: So stick with the red engine until further notice gotcha

Not necessarily!

You can definitely take a look at Skyrim or Fallout 4. If you own the games, you have access to the tools.

Some of these mods are amazing to simply look at and understand how they function. I can't say if much would translate to the RED engine as my modding days are far behind me and I've never touched it but anything you learn is just some extra knowledge to potentially use. The design ideas alone can be worth looking at other mods. Some of the things people have achieved through "tricks" are simply incredible. Plus, you could learn quite a lot about scripting.

Don't limit yourself only to RED engine games until there are tools (if ever). No knowledge is wasted.

I'm not great with mingling(I'm weird where I overthink everything thinking it's a stupid comment and retype 70 times until I just delete it all) but respect is my jam. Regardless of it being a professional modder or someone who is releasing their first.. If you spent time creating something you have my respect. Thank you for all the info!

Don't worry about it, a lot of creatives types are just like you. You seem to have the right kind of attitude, you'll fit right in. The modding community is extremely open, especially if someone is very enthusiastic about modding.

Top Bottom