Modkit Update changelog

+
W3 is the first game I realy modded...I dont know if in other games extracting and reimporting files which I wanna edit need such code-.-
I am casual modder and following code is kinda mindfu to me

Ever used the Mass Effect modding tools? *shudders*
Or any Bioware modding tools?

Despite all the fuzz about the modding tools, can assure you one thing. It's far from the worst mod support which ever happened. This tool looks and feels like some tool for production. Most of the tools I use from a day to day basis are console exclusive. For they can be way more precise and more secure than with an additional UI and easily recompiled if you need an additional function, without having one person working on the UI all the time.
I'm actually happy we can extract stuff on a official way and no longer have to do it - how did someone put it - ghetto-style. Been working on Empire at War mods for a long time, all we got was a buggy map editor which tended to break modded texture files for UI icons (strategy game, so that's kind of mandatory). And some scarce script source files, but far from all. All other available tools were made by the community. And EaW has a ton of mods now. Just took time.

Working with the console is something you have to get used to. Luckily both Mac and Win10 support Crtl+c and Crtl+v in console now, so no need for typos ;)

Or follow Mordek's advice and use Modkitchen.

So many questions, so many necessities yet all we're given is a five worded response, an incredibly basic tool and long awaited updates that don't do anything at all. Makes me crai :upset:

“Yes, yes, yes we will. There will be an editor,” Iwinski said. “For Witcher 2 we released it quite late. For Witcher 3 it will be faster.”

I'm so dissapointed

---------- Updated at 11:40 PM ----------

You just shot yourself in the foot CDPR

Should take everything they have said in the past with a grain of salt, by release the foot was already full of holes there PR team has been pretty disastrous. Just have to hope the excellent modders can make do.

I'm so dissapointed

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere in an in an older interview, pre-release that CDPR were looking forward to seeing what quests and scenarios fans would be able to create for the game. Guess they couldn't really care less about that when it really came down do it.

Still what we got is still better than no mod support what so ever and at least the kit is being updated and I have to say I'm still quite impressed with what people have been able to create so far despite the very limited tool set.

Last edited:
I`m wondering, when by using ModKit we will be able to extract string files and create very own items with unique names

I have a theory:
I think that the ModKit was released in order to keep everyone (relatively) calm with some modding support as early as possible. I have a hunch that we might see a full(er) RedKit sometime after Blood and Wine is released.

Think about it: if we were given tools to make new items, new quests, and new locations from the get-go, then probably far fewer people would bother to buy the Expansions, since people could download similar additions to the game (albeit not as polished) for free.

It's almost like the two Expansions are demos for what a hypothetical RedKit can do. Hearts of Stone: "10 hours" of new quests and new items in locations that are already baked into the game. Blood and Wine: "30 hours" of new quests, probably new items too, and a BRAND NEW LOCATION!

I think we all need to just calm down, enjoy the great mods that are coming out now with the tools that are available, and wait and see if we will get a real RedKit after both Expansions come out.

Last edited:
I have a theory:

Nah...that's not it. Look at what Bethesda did with Skyrim. They released their CreationKit 3 months after the game's release and they announced expansions for the game way after the CreationKit. Modders created (and still are) all sorts of mods AND when the official expansions came out, people bought them too. The actual reason for why CDPR won't release the REDKIT for Witcher 3 is unknown but you can be sure it's not because they want to force people to buy their version of the expansions before letting others make theirs.

I think it's fairly resonable to assume that a redkit will not be release till the game is fully patched/optimised and all the extensions, dlc, etc are up and running and bugfree.

Nah...that's not it. Look at what Bethesda did with Skyrim. They released their CreationKit 3 months after the game's release and they announced expansions for the game way after the CreationKit. Modders created (and still are) all sorts of mods AND when the official expansions came out, people bought them too. The actual reason for why CDPR won't release the REDKIT for Witcher 3 is unknown but you can be sure it's not because they want to force people to buy their version of the expansions before letting others make theirs.

Well... Bethesda and CDPR operate differently. First of all, CDPR is much smaller than Bethesda, so it might be that every sale of the expansions counts... I don't know.
You might be right, but I still think that RedKit will come out after Blood and Wine. Once they "prove" that the game can be expanded in a substantial way.
Who knows, maybe the Expansions are being developed using an early prototype of RedKit, and that it's being worked on/improved/fixed as they go...

Honestly, I'd be happy with continued support for Modkit. Why would they ever release a second mod tool with a second name? Just turn Modkit into a REAL tool. And please EXPLAIN how your system differs from every other game in existence, including your last one. These textures are ridiculous.

The game can be expanded in a substantial way. Period. No need to prove it. We simply need the tools to do it. Just the way its set up makes me ITCH for a huge quest mod with new maps and new places and terrain and... ACHK! Come on, guys. Let's do something here.

List of things Modkit needs desperately, in order of necessity:

- In-depth tutorials on how to use current tools. This is an absolute must. The tutorial we got is a joke and explains nothing of how the systems are set up. We got a bone thrown to us with script documentation, but that was the only part of the tool that actually worked correctly. So let's please have the other two parts (textures and meshes) work properly as well, and explain how to make it work properly, as there hasn't been one modder yet who's figured everything out.

- Easy way to add new everything. Instead of having us make replacers for everything. We need to be able to easily (without having to circumvent the system and do the complicated method of adding things as DLC - which can get messy with multiple mods doing this, as you actually have to number each one - what happens when mods start using the same numbers?) add new armor, weapons, characters, dialogue, quests, random items, static objects, terrain, maps, music, animations, skeletons.

- GUI! I'll say it again: GUI. I know we've been told that's not planned, but not giving us a GUI is eliminating probably a good half of the people who would already be modding the game. It's sad. This could be a huge, thriving community, and it's dwindling down continuously. Lack of an actual tool is the main reasonb, but this is definitely a contributing factor.

Honestly, they have so much money now. Why not hire a whole, dedicated Modkit team? It could be done relatively cheap from within the community. I hope it's not the case, but it just seems like modding isn't as important to them as they originally said it was. Which would also be incredibly sad, as there is so much potential here. The bones we've been thrown are nice, but they're not enough.

Which would also be incredibly sad, as there is so much potential here.

Indeed the potential is massive, more than most games out in the market today. The Witcher 3 could easily become a title which people play, talk about and share their creations for, for many years to come. Provided we are given the proper toolset and documentation while the game is still on many peoples radar.

It would not only be good for us, the players but CDPR as well. Everybody would win.

Honestly, they have so much money now.
This is exactly why they no longer feel a need to bother with modding.

Modders would surely fix the UI. They would also create new areas to explore, e.g. ruins, crypts, caves, towns, etc. That's the least of what they would do!

This game has more mods (711) on Nexus than TW1 & TW2 combined (121, 349) and that's with the limited tools!

CDPR said 2016 would be the 'year of the Witcher' but without modders It ends early with the next expansion and a cynical GOTY edition. They should want to make this final Geralt game truly great but they've made the money and are moving on.

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: reh
711 mods? That's quite something. Though almost half of it would be reshade/sweetfx presets as far as I've seen. And another as much of armor retextures and similar. Only few proper mods that do something more significant. Btw, before modkit we already had most of those script mods working. I've lost faith that there ever will be proper modding tools released by CDPR

711 mods and less than 50 are actually useful. Rest are Reshade/SweetFx presets, eye color/armor texture change and of course.....naked mods. Also, any idea when the updated Modkit's gonna come? The patch 1.11 came out but still no news about the Modkit.

Well... Bethesda and CDPR operate differently. First of all, CDPR is much smaller than Bethesda, so it might be that every sale of the expansions counts... I don't know.
You might be right, but I still think that RedKit will come out after Blood and Wine. Once they "prove" that the game can be expanded in a substantial way.
Who knows, maybe the Expansions are being developed using an early prototype of RedKit, and that it's being worked on/improved/fixed as they go...

Todd Howard has said in more than one interview their dev studio is still around 100 people. Has been for a long time. CDPR at the height of production was around 230. Larian, which is far smaller than both, is hiring more people as a stretch goal for mod tools. Simple fact is, the mod community has never been a huge priority for CDPR, and is less of one now. It's too bad they bothered with REDkit in the first place for TW2, when the mod community has long left that game. They should have waited and done if for TW3. People need to have realistic expectations here.

Top Bottom