Modkit vs REDkit and the future of Witcher modding tools

+

Modkit vs REDkit and the future of Witcher modding tools

• YES! It is essential to add more features.

Votes: 106 96.4%
  • I would welcome it, but modkit's already fine as is.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • No. Waste of resources. Modders will find a way on their own.

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You people are speaking like Redkit had high culture of work. It didn't. I couldn't set up project and repo to allow two persons modifying dialogues at the same time. Couldn't figure out how to set up redscript database on external server.

But actually things are better now. Some kind of modkit was released way earlier than it was in case of TW2. And TW3 scripts are written way clearer than it was in case of TW2.

People suspect that editor will be released after expansions.

Because Witcher 2 released in May 2011 and the Redkit released in May 2013.
Then why DAI has more mods after 9 months without any official support than W2 after 4 years, 2 of which with RedKit? Don't forget what W3 on a different position now, than W2 before. What i'm trying to say, do not underrate community. Will RedKit help to create truly amazing big mods? Of corse. Will W3 collecting dust if we have only ModTools? Not a chance. It's not end of the world if RedKit not gonna happen, don't need to be afraid of mighty Bethesda with it's glorious editor.

You people are speaking like Redkit had high culture of work. It didn't. I couldn't set up project and repo to allow two persons modifying dialogues at the same time. Couldn't figure out how to set up redscript database on external server.

But actually things are better now. Some kind of modkit was released way earlier than it was in case of TW2. And TW3 scripts are written way clearer than it was in case of TW2.

you got a point. now we'll have the chance to get used to the coding of the game, and hopefully by the time the REDkit 2 will come out, we'll be able to fully exploit its capabilities.
considering that you did some modding in the past, did you find anything interresting ? do you have a few ideas to make ?

Then why DAI has more mods after 9 months without any official support than W2 after 4 years, 2 of which with RedKit? Don't forget what W3 on a different position now, than W2 before. What i'm trying to say, do not underrate community. Will RedKit help to create truly amazing big mods? Of corse. Will W3 collecting dust if we have only ModTools? Not a chance. It's not end of the world if RedKit not gonna happen, don't need to be afraid of mighty Bethesda with it's glorious editor.

Because people where able to make mods work for DAI to some degree, that really wasn't' the case with witcher 2 until two years after release. Which was way to late.

Which makes perfect sense.
Once everybody can make Quests / edit the Map and so on , CDPRs DLC's will be laughable.

Don't get me wrong, it was a really smart move to release all those free dlc's but they have been really small cosmetic dlc's. Only the finisher animations and the newgameplus feature are interesting. The quests were kinda small but not bad at all.

And since CDPR plans to release two expansions for money it wouldn't be wise to release a full REDKit for Witcher3 beforehand. Because modders would probably have made way more content in this time for free.

Even though Witcher 3 turned out to have many things I am not satisfied with ( for example the whole combat system ), in my opinion they've made a really good game and they listen to their customers as much as economically possible.

€dit: I would love to see a Quest editor as soon as possible. But I quess thats not gonna happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
Which makes perfect sense.
Once everybody can make Quests / edit the Map and so on , CDPRs DLC's will be laughable.

Don't get me wrong, it was a really smart move to release all those free dlc's but they have been really small cosmetic dlc's. Only the finisher animations and the newgameplus feature are interesting. The quests were kinda small but not bad at all.

This really makes sense. Some of the angry people should take that to heart.

considering that you did some modding in the past, did you find anything interresting ? do you have a few ideas to make ?
Well... i have to buy and play TW3 first :p. Now i have access only to scripts, so i'm just checking stuff out. Gameplay code quality increased significantly since TW2, what is very nice to see. Probably i will be modding game while playing it. Fixing some gameplay issues that bother me, redesigning input handling to fit my style better and rebalancing alchemy. Just casual stuff for the beggining :).

DLCs - maybe. Expansions - i don't think so. Story mods for TW1 with quality on par with main game came just few months before TW2 release and they were made by teams of many people for like 2-3 years. For TW2... i didn't noticed as big modding teams working for mods for that long. So even if modding community will beat expansions - it will take like 2 years to create such mods.

I suspect CDPR simply never made heavy modding for TW2 or TW3 a high priority. So we'll be lucky if RedKit will arrive in a few years, and even super lucky if it will have a Linux version.

Well... i have to buy and play TW3 first :p. Now i have access only to scripts, so i'm just checking stuff out. Gameplay code quality increased significantly since TW2, what is very nice to see. Probably i will be modding game while playing it. Fixing some gameplay issues that bother me, redesigning input handling to fit my style better and rebalancing alchemy. Just casual stuff for the beggining :).

DLCs - maybe. Expansions - i don't think so. Story mods for TW1 with quality on par with main game came just few months before TW2 release and they were made by teams of many people for like 2-3 years. For TW2... i didn't noticed as big modding teams working for mods for that long. So even if modding community will beat expansions - it will take like 2 years to create such mods.
i look forward to see your work sir ! and thanks for the reply. ^^
and i still haven't played the game either so...

And since CDPR plans to release two expansions for money it wouldn't be wise to release a full REDKit for Witcher3 beforehand. Because modders would probably have made way more content in this time for free.
That's a ridiculous claim...do you know how much time and effort it takes to create a DLC sized( think Bioware) mod? And how many of them can actually match in quality an expansion done by developers? Falskaar mod, for instance, took more than a year, and it was done by a single person.
Mod support is detrimental to sales of DLC's such as (in)famous "Horse armor", weapon packs etc..., but there is absolutely no reason why I wouldn't buy any of the upcoming expansions, if there are already quest mods done by the player community.
By that same reasoning...why would anyone buy Dawnguard or Dragonborn DLC's for Skyrim on PC?

Maybe this is why the are not releasing the Redkit: http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/33590...+3+on+console/
They gotta appease to Microsoft and Sony. Who knows? Maybe they even received some $$$

That is exactly what I was thinking. It's probably has to do with graphics parity between consoles and PC cause when the REDKIT comes out on PC first, people will eventually bring back the E3 2013/2014 look and console players will cry foul and Sony and Microsoft don't want that. It's just a hunch but there you go.

It's really important for us not to partition The Witcher community and allow access to mods to console gamers, too. We're considering various approaches to solve this and started initial talks with first-parties about this. We can't make any hard promises yet, but you can be sure that we're looking into it."

If it means "consoles are limited, so we'll propagate their limitations to PC modding tools as well" - that's very bad. If it means "we'll figure out how to bring modding tools to consoles" - that's good, but I don't see a point to worry about "partitioning" of users. MS and Sony aren't friendly to modding and they control their OSes in highly unhealthy manner. So CDPR should focus on modding tools for PC first, instead of this "partitioning" thing. If it's the former case, I worry CDPR is increasingly becoming console oriented company and their PC roots are gone. News of "here is Modkit, Redkit is not planned" are bad, if they are justified with "we don't want to partition users". Somehow I suspect that as usual, CDPR won't clarify to the community what's going on.

Last edited:
Yeye, CDPR, the white knights of the gaming industry... :whatthe:

Now catering to the mainstream, dumbing down their games, losing all their narrative strength and focus and ultimately giving a shit about real modding.

It's not like they promised us a full mod editor...oh wait...:dizzy:

One broken promise after the other. What happened to the CDPR that made TW2? Hot deep they have fallen... :thumbdown:

Last edited:
That's a ridiculous claim...[...] took more than a year, and it was done by a single person.

See thats the only problem with modding nowadays. Not enough cooperation between modders.

By that same reasoning...why would anyone buy Dawnguard or Dragonborn DLC's for Skyrim on PC?
I don't know. I'm not buying dlcs anyways. And I'm also not very fond of the elder scrolls or fallout 3 and its sequels.

As far as I remember, I haven't invested any money in expansions or dlc's since Gothic 2.
Witcher 3 is the exception here, I've preordered the "Expansions" already.
Mostly because I want to believe that CDPR will keep on making great games I can enjoy.

Last edited:
One broken promise after the other. What happened to the CDPR that made TW2? Hot deep they have fallen...

You can thank potato console manufacturers for that. A lot of compromises had to be made by CDPR just to appease those consoles. Things like graphics parity, content parity, patching parity and now REDKIT parity cause console players would scream and shout if we PC users used REDKIT to mod the game and eventually bring back E3 2013/2014 look while they sit on their butts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom