Mods in Cyberpunk 2077?

+

Yes or no to mod-support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mods in Cyberpunk 2077?

I feel awkward making a topic here. I've followed CP2077 for ages now, even stalked this forum ages ago, but I just want to spread the concept and it's more relevant now than ever:

The Witcher games didn't have too much in the way of a modding scene. Mods are basically 95% of the experience in playing a Bethesda game on PC. With how Bethesda is taking a dump on the modding community, I feel like CDPR has a huge opportunity right now.

Mod Support for Cyberpunk 2077.

If the game was laid out in a way that mods could easily be enabled and disabled before integrating with multiplayer functionality, or however multiplayer fits in, some mods are more intrusive than others but in any case:

CDPR has a chance to dethrone Bethesda as the go-to for modding on PC which should make Cyberpunk 2077 skyrocket past the longevity of Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

CDPR already has so much good will, with Bethesda burning all of their good will at the moment, I feel like it's a very easy transition from the Bethesda modding scene to a possible CDPR modding scene.

Hell, if it's possible, just announcing that you're thinking about implementing mod tools would probably be a huge marketing power play right now.

Any chance to mod a game makes it a thousand times more cost efficient of a purchase. Why buy X game when game Y has mods backing it up resulting in years of replayability. Bethesda had a great thing going with how their games weren't exactly great, but the modding scene behind it made their games practically a must buy. If CDPR could implement modding, it'd be a fantastic game in the first place only made more amazing with the support.

Last edited:
I've been scanning the forums recently and realised some people have a lot of expectations from Cyberpunk 2077 and others have personal fears. I think, instead of putting the pressure on CDPRed, a lot of these expectations and fears can be rectified and met with mods. Don't like FPP? Mod it. Don't like double jumping? Mod it. Want more model aesthetic options? There's a mod for that.

Not to mention, one of the most modded games is, of course, Skyrim. Which was released in late 2011, it is still a very popular game with an extremely invested community. We all know one of the biggest reason the game has survived this long and continues to strive isn't that it was released on every platform available, even on Amazon's Alexa, but because the community keeps the game alive through constantly releasing new, creative and some award-winning mods.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying CDPR isn't up to the task to make a decent game, and they should leave it to the community. What I'm saying is, they can't please everybody, so maybe they should allow the unsatisfied to please themselves.

What are your thoughts? Simple, Yes or No to mods?

Importing an 3D character/prop to Cyberpunk2077 world and pose it in this modern technical environment... sounds like fun ).

I don't mod a lot, but I always appreciate the option. I personally prefer it if there is an official, integrated source for mods as well, although there is of course always the Nexus.

I don't mod a lot, but I always appreciate the option. I personally prefer it if there is an official, integrated source for mods as well, although there is of course always the Nexus.

You mean nexus mods? They want you to make an account tho...

I believe the intent is that there would be an official website and library, hosted by the the actual studio, instead of a community-run source like The Nexus. Either way, you'll probably have to make an account to upload or download files.

Mods are welcome, but not for what you'r talking about. Yes to mods.
But,
The community is not going to finish the game instead of CDPR, as Bethesda does.
I hated Skyrim vanilla for that, and Fallout 4 too by the way.

And modding with Red engine.. it can't be such easy as Creation Engine, the Bethesda one.

Alltought, i like mods perspective.
And on Sony/Xbox devices, you can't mod your game..

But,
The community is not going to finish the game instead of CDPR, as Bethesda does.

And modding with Red engine.. it can't be such easy as Creation Engine, the Bethesda one.

CDPR isnt a bad studio. If they give us mod tools then its after they already made the game how they envisioned it.

Mods can help the game popularity keeping up through the years, in can also be a good reason to start the game again (with like graphical changes, new gameplay features, new ennemies, etc), and as other ppl say it doesn't alter the core experience for players who don't use it. I bet there are a tsunami of people who'd want to contribute to modding, so why not let them express their creativity through CP77 ?

So yes, please !

No question about it - mod support is a must. Hopefully mod support similar to Witcher 2 and not Witcher 3 - Witcher 3's mod tools were pretty weak.

Mods ALWAYS make games better and help keep the game interesting as new mods are developed. Although CP77 will definitely be interesting anyways so most players will probably play without mods.

But,

I don't understand. I didn't say the community is going to finish the game instead of CDPR, explicitly the opposite in fact.

Options are good. I can't imagine many that would be against the idea, particularly console players that saw how mods were handled by Fallout 4. I'm not saying that was an ideal implementation, but (aside from Creation Club) it seemed like a popular feature.

Having said that, this would proably have to be something that CDPR built into their plan from a pretty early stage. It benefits CDPR in that it would extend the life of the game (a good thing, sales wise).

I believe the intent is that there would be an official website and library, hosted by the the actual studio, instead of a community-run source like The Nexus. Either way, you'll probably have to make an account to upload or download files.
That would be ideal. I already have a Nexus Mods account, but I feel seedy getting mods from there (even if it is probably the most reputable third party source for mods).

I don't understand. I didn't say the community is going to finish the game instead of CDPR, explicitly the opposite in fact.

No game is ever perfectly "finished". There are always things that the community can tweak, The Witcher 3 still has bugs that were not fixed, and it is often subjective if changes made to gameplay (and sometimes even story) by modders are actual improvements, or just the developers having a different vision of what the game should be like. Therefore, if a developer wants to avoid the accusation that they are releasing unfinished games to be fixed by the community, the options are either to make a product that is absolutely perfect and pleases everyone, or to have limited enough mod support that the work done by the community remains negligible compared to the official content. But only one of those is viable in practice.

By the way, The Witcher 3 does quite well in terms of longevity, according to the Steam top sellers list of 2018, it made more revenue on PC (where modding is most popular) last year than anything published by Bethesda, with the exception of The Elder Scrolls Online, which is an MMO with only limited mod support (it runs on a completely different engine than Skyrim or Fallout 4). In my opinion, the way CDPR handled mods in The Witcher 3 is smart for both business and PR, it is good enough to benefit from the small tweaks and QoL improvements, but it is also limited enough that the modding community cannot grow so large that it competes with the developers and makes them look worse, nor does it become a liability for other reasons (such as having to hold back engine upgrades for the sake of preserving full mod support).

Last edited:
Top Bottom