Mods in Cyberpunk 2077?

+

Yes or no to mod-support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i love modding but i don't want the game to suffer and have attention take away from other things just for modding. I'd say support it later after launch

I wanted to revive this discussion to emphasize the importance of mod support. To me, and to a great number of other PC gamers, full modding tools are a fantastic bonus.

So, I'll direct this at CDPR for the first time in... well.. ever, I think. But obviously it's intended for discussion's sake, too. Anyway:

Mods are what have kept me playing Skyrim for well over 1200 hours. Does that translate directly to increased revenue for CDPR (or Bethesda, in that case)? Well... Yes, actually. In two ways:

Word of mouth

This is harder to quantify, and so I won't attach as much significance to it. Regardless, it's impossible to ignore - when I tell my friends that I was able to get that much bloody playtime out of a single game, they've purchased it to find out what the fuss is about. Same deal with The Witcher 3.

Free marketing & positive PR

Every time a modder releases a completely free mod that happens to be of particularly high quality, your game's name is in the news again. I know, because I work in the field myself, and have covered great mods many times in the past. Speaking from experience again, these articles get thousands upon thousands upon thousands of views (sometimes tens of thousands), and my outlet isn't even that big. Think about what you could achieve with PC Gamer's "Best Mods for X" article. Heck, you don't have to imagine, CDPR, because you've already seen it happen with even the limited tools you offered for The Witcher 3.

In conclusion...

I try to appeal to your business sense because I know that's probably one of the bigger concerns - is the dev time needed to create good modding tools worth the expense? Are the challenges you'd face in doing so worth the effort?

CDPR, you've never struck me as a short-sighted company. It's what sets you apart from your competitors, actually. You care about quality, you know the value of long-term player loyalty. So please take your long-term thinking and apply it to mod support - years upon years of seeing Cyberpunk 2077 strewn across headlines in a positive manner, extra sales from word of mouth and simple "Holy sh*t, that mod looks amazing" moments... I'd say that's worth it.

You do not have to release mod tools on launch. I don't care if it takes 3 months before they launch. Or even 6! Just tell us they are coming, and make them good.

The absolute worst thing you could do is offer no mod support at all, so if the best you can do is something like TW3's ModKit, fine. I'll take that over nothing at all. I know there are many considerations given the impressive features you have in 2077 (the interactive scene system, to name one). But don't worry about that. It just needs to be functional. Let the modders sort out the details; let them decide their limits and fix the quirks themselves.

I wanted to revive this discussion to emphasize the importance of mod support. To me, and to a great number of other PC gamers, full modding tools are a fantastic bonus.

So, I'll direct this at CDPR for the first time in... well.. ever, I think. But obviously it's intended for discussion's sake, too. Anyway:

Mods are what have kept me playing Skyrim for well over 1200 hours. Does that translate directly to increased revenue for CDPR (or Bethesda, in that case)? Well... Yes, actually. In two ways:

Word of mouth

This is harder to quantify, and so I won't attach as much significance to it. Regardless, it's impossible to ignore - when I tell my friends that I was able to get that much bloody playtime out of a single game, they've purchased it to find out what the fuss is about. Same deal with The Witcher 3.

Free marketing & positive PR

Every time a modder releases a completely free mod that happens to be of particularly high quality, your game's name is in the news again. I know, because I work in the field myself, and have covered great mods many times in the past. Speaking from experience again, these articles get thousands upon thousands upon thousands of views (sometimes tens of thousands), and my outlet isn't even that big. Think about what you could achieve with PC Gamer's "Best Mods for X" article. Heck, you don't have to imagine, CDPR, because you've already seen it happen with even the limited tools you offered for The Witcher 3.

In conclusion...

I try to appeal to your business sense because I know that's probably one of the bigger concerns - is the dev time needed to create good modding tools worth the expense? Are the challenges you'd face in doing so worth the effort?

CDPR, you've never struck me as a short-sighted company. It's what sets you apart from your competitors, actually. You care about quality, you know the value of long-term player loyalty. So please take your long-term thinking and apply it to mod support - years upon years of seeing Cyberpunk 2077 strewn across headlines in a positive manner, extra sales from word of mouth and simple "Holy sh*t, that mod looks amazing" moments... I'd say that's worth it.

You do not have to release mod tools on launch. I don't care if it takes 3 months before they launch. Or even 6! Just tell us they are coming, and make them good.

The absolute worst thing you could do is offer no mod support at all, so if the best you can do is something like TW3's ModKit, fine. I'll take that over nothing at all. I know there are many considerations given the impressive features you have in 2077 (the interactive scene system, to name one). But don't worry about that. It just needs to be functional. Let the modders sort out the details; let them decide their limits and fix the quirks themselves.

off topic question. what is your outlet so i can sub :)
Post automatically merged:

i love to see modding!

i wonder what would be better... via Vortex/Nexus or making your own platform where the modders can sell there mods for a couple of cents... or even dollars if it is worth it.

Last edited:
Definitly a big fat YES from my side for this.
I wish for a full blown mod support this time

Look what some modders accomplished with Witcher 3 already.
It would be awesome to have a full "RED KIT 4" this time.

I would enjoy being able to mod this game. To be able to apply my own textures or even create clothing items that may not be available. a big YES for modding!

I vote yes to mods for the simple fact that, while I understand the creative decision to make the game first-person for immersion, I suffer from horrible motion sickness when I play in first-person. Third-person view is an absolute essential for me and many others. I can only hope, if CDPR maintains the first-person only, that some amazing modder will create a third-person view mod. Honestly I use mods for quality of life and if I don't have to use mods to fix a game (like Bethesda and EA) then I'd rather have mods add new content and additional story.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...our-cp-2077-questions.10970951/#post-11008958

Unfortunately, mod support is "not a priority," which could translate to "it's not gonna happen" or maybe it just means what it says and they aren't focusing on it right now.

Tough to say. Given CDPR's track record with mods, I find it difficult to take it at face value, but at the same time, nothing is gained by cynicism.

I'm hopeful that a dev team the size of CDPR's can dedicate a few folks to mod support post-launch. I've never really understood why some companies feel like they can never release modding tools just because they didn't when the game first released. It's not a priority. OK, fine, I completely understand, I want the game to be the focus this early on. What about a year from now? Two? Three? Ever?

Oh, well. We'll see. Maybe we can ask again at this E3 and see if the answer is different.

They have said that Multi player will come after release.
And, Multi player and Modding don't mix well.

They have said that Multi player will come after release.
And, Multi player and Modding don't mix well.

Tell that to the GTA5 gang :coolstory:

Unfortunately, mod support is "not a priority," which could translate to "it's not gonna happen" or maybe it just means what it says and they aren't focusing on it right now.

It wasn't with the Witcher 3 either, yet we still received a ModKit. And unlike with The Witcher 3, we got a confirmation that they'll take modding into account way ahead of release, right here on this forum, though i can't look for it right now. I think @Sardukhar re-posted it here a few pages back.

Last edited:
Mods have no impact on multiplayer, and also, I don't think they said anything about multiplayer coming after release.

In this article: https://www.technobezz.com/cyberpunk-2077-everything-we-know-so-far/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Multiplayer or not?
It seems now that the game might feature multiplayer as the developer CD Projekt Red has created a partnership with a multiplayer-focused studio for technology in Cyberpunk 2077 and no micro-transactions in Cyberpunk 2077 as the little Easter egg confirms in E3 2018.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so yes.. it is not confirmed. you are right.

and you can not have modding options in a mp game. but yes.. you can have modding if the single player is apart from the mp.

Tell that to the GTA5 gang :coolstory:

It wasn't with the Witcher 3 either, yet we still received a ModKit. And unlike with The Witcher 3, we got a confirmation that they'll take modding into account way ahead of release, right here on this forum, though i can't look for it right now. I think @Sardukhar re-posted it here a few pages back.
That would be outstanding news. I'll look for it, but I didn't see it anywhere.

And the ModKit is definitely appreciated, though obviously not on the level of their past support, unfortunately. I would take something like the ModKit over nothing, but I'm hoping for better tools. I'll be grateful for whatever we get, so as to encourage future mod support from them. The last thing we want to do is look a gift horse in the mouth.

EDIT: Found it.

So Lilayah, one of our forward-facing Reds (people who are briefed on and allowed to talk to us) just posted this in Dev Answers:

"As for if modding support will be our priority at some point- we will see. Right now we want to fully focus on making the game, it's core features and so on. What happens next? Nobody knows :) But we do know that community would love to use and create some mods, it is something we will keep in mind, for later tho. "

So that's kind of encouraging! Right?

Phew-wee. Scrolling back through this thread was a bit odd. So many strange arguments, particularly the ones about how mods actually harm a game (I have no idea how that could possibly be true, but no matter). But this is good! Thanks, Sard, for reposting.

That would be outstanding news. I'll look for it, but I didn't see it anywhere.

And the ModKit is definitely appreciated, though obviously not on the level of their past support, unfortunately. I would take something like the ModKit over nothing, but I'm hoping for better tools. I'll be grateful for whatever we get, so as to encourage future mod support from them. The last thing we want to do is look a gift horse in the mouth.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...2077-questions.10970951/page-19#post-11404192

Not a yes, not a no, but an acknowledgment, more than we got with the Witcher 3 i think. There's definitely some hope there.

With all the adult themes and sexy stuff, I would love to see how creative the pervy mods get. Look at what has been done with Skyrim. The exotics, hybrid, and furry-esque themes in 2020 could be an absolute godsend to certain people if translated well in 2077. I don't expect to see much hardcore character customization in that regard when it's ready, but the lore is there for mods to make it happen.
And I will always vouch for bdsm mods.

I would also expect some expansion packs to blow minds, and I am all for the official releases that will enhance the world of cyberpunk. I know if given the chance there will be all sorts of mods for various things, I just really don't want parody or silly world-breaking things to end up modded.

If I see any crossover with my little pony, Ima break something.

Personally I think mods should be allowed but not right away. like something that is added in as a minor update after 5-8 months down road. Make us enjoy game as developers intended it to be for a while before letting us mod in aliens or ray guns or god mode or any number of other things that im not thinking of off top of my head. But Mods deffinatly add to replayability of a game as they alter some things either by alot or just enough to make it feal like its a new game

Personally I think mods should be allowed but not right away. like something that is added in as a minor update after 5-8 months down road. Make us enjoy game as developers intended it to be for a while before letting us mod in aliens or ray guns or god mode or any number of other things that im not thinking of off top of my head. But Mods deffinatly add to replayability of a game as they alter some things either by alot or just enough to make it feal like its a new game
Yeah, 6 months post release sounds about right. You don't want to wait too long (a year+) because by then the hype starts to die down and its "too little, too late" for many modders, but so long as CDPR keeps cranking out good DLC, that may not be an issue.

I'm not kind of person that relies on mods to enhance his single player experience, mostly because many mods that I have tried out that were recommended to me by other people ended up being rather disappointing and sometimes even made the experience noticeably worse (like KOTOR2 Restored Content Mod), while those very same people keep insisted that it's actually better then original, which I can only blame on placebo effect.

I didn't care for the story mods for the Witcher games as well, mostly because I couldn't escape the feeling that I'm just playing someones non-canon fanfiction and since The Witcher games were already a glorified fanfiction of the original books, it was like playing a fanfiction of a fanfiction, so basically a double fanfiction. Plus because the entire gameplay and the story was tailored specifically for Geralt pre-established character, I don't think it rendered itself for much of a leeway regarding the gameplay changes and storytelling.

That said, with Cyberpunk more diverse gameplay style and emphasis on character creation/customization, I believe it opens for it many more opportunities on both of those fields, which would definitely translate into much more diverse and interesting fan created mods. Not something that I would personally use of course, but I would have no objections to. For that reason I do think that game should have a modding support added at some point after release. Plus with Bethesda fall from grace in terms of their mod support (among many other things), it would be a perfect opportunity for CDPR to get into that business. So no pressure from my side, but it would be something that I would gladly see.

I'm not kind of person that relies on mods to enhance his single player experience, mostly because many mods that I have tried out that were recommended to me by other people ended up being rather disappointing and sometimes even made the experience noticeably worse (like KOTOR2 Restored Content Mod), while those very same people keep insisted that it's actually better then original, which I can only blame on placebo effect.

I didn't care for the story mods for the Witcher games as well, mostly because I couldn't escape the feeling that I'm just playing someones non-canon fanfiction and since The Witcher games were already a glorified fanfiction of the original books, it was like playing a fanfiction of a fanfiction, so basically a double fanfiction. Plus because the entire gameplay and the story was tailored specifically for Geralt pre-established character, I don't think it rendered itself for much of a leeway regarding the gameplay changes and storytelling.

That said, with Cyberpunk more diverse gameplay style and emphasis on character creation/customization, I believe it opens for it many more opportunities on both of those fields, which would definitely translate into much more diverse and interesting fan created mods. Not something that I would personally use of course, but I would have no objections to. For that reason I do think that game should have a modding support added at some point after release. Plus with Bethesda fall from grace in terms of their mod support (among many other things), it would be a perfect opportunity for CDPR to get into that business. So no pressure from my side, but it would be something that I would gladly see.

I think the vast majority of the mods I use have nothing to do with story, personally. I've always opted for immersion, animation, gameplay overhaul/tweak mods. Stuff that improves the experience without, as you said, acting as non-canon fanfiction. Frostfall in Skyrim, weather mods for TW3, etc.

Not that some of that non-canon fanfiction isn't very good - some of Skyrim's DLC-sized mods had great stories. But yeah, it's still non-official and it's extremely hard to shake that feeling.

With all the adult themes and sexy stuff, I would love to see how creative the pervy mods get. Look at what has been done with Skyrim.

I have the dubious distinction of being the first modder to release a modesty mod for Skyrim :cool:... and probably the first modder to release modesty anything for Elder scrolls.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3681

If CDPR releases a modkit for CP2077, I hope is not the same thing as the Witcher 3's "modkit"... I guess you could call it a modkit, but it was merely a file replacer.

I have the dubious distinction of being the first modder to release a modesty mod for Skyrim :cool:... and probably the first modder to release modesty anything for Elder scrolls.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3681

If CDPR releases a modkit for CP2077, I hope is not the same thing as the Witcher 3's "modkit"... I guess you could call it a modkit, but it was merely a file replacer.

Yeah, I'm hoping for more powerful modding tools as well.

If people want to create entirely new clothing models, let them. If people want to create new cars or guns, let them.

Top Bottom