Mods in Cyberpunk 2077?

+

Yes or no to mod-support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You had to make an account just to post here. Nearly any website ever with any kind of social function or service is going to want you to make an account, simply to make its functions easier both for you and them. It takes less than five minutes, and doesn't require real information. There is nothing to complain about.

So long as CDPR actually learns from such sites in terms of what works and what doesn't, both in terms of what users and mod authors want/need, I'd be 100% fine with that. However, seeing how badly Bethesda screwed the pooch with their own service even though they had all the cheat-sheet information they could possibly want by observing how sites like Nexus operate beforehand, makes me personally as a mod author wary of first-party mod hosting solutions. The reason a site like Nexus functions as well as it does is due to being completely focused on simply the act of hosting mods and everything that entails. I'm not exactly confident a game dev company will want to, or even be able to, make the necessary efforts to Do It Right, even if the company is CDPR itself. I can hope, but I remain skeptical, on this point alone.

As for "feeling seedy getting mods from there", I'm not sure I understand, but perhaps in some ways I agree? I'm not totally fine on a personal level that the group of people running Nexus are getting wealthy off of the backs of the people who actually create all the mods that in turn get either nothing or nearly nothing in return (the "Donation Point" system Nexus introduced is a joke at best), but...such is life, I guess. :shrug:

All I'm personally hoping for is for CP2077 to simply have proper mod support, and anything beyond that would just be a bonus.

You are totally not biased when you release mods on there...

As for "feeling seedy getting mods from there", I'm not sure I understand [...]
I should probably have been clearer about what I meant here because I absolutely support sites like Nexus Mods and think they are important because they allow people to play games in a way unique to them. What I meant by, "Feeling seedy." (not a very descriptive use of words) is just that I don't really like downloading anything from the internet because I'm unduly paranoid - though you make a good point about mod authors getting little in the way of financial return - downloads from the Steam Workshop, etc. give the impression of being more benign.

Expect 2077 to release the motkit that make new standalone quest and new standalone enemy.
And bethesda's modkit is currently available to
make new standalone quest and new standalone enemy(Except for fallout76).

But I guess investors in cdprojektred hate this approach to the universal modkit.

So I think the mod future of Cyberpink 2077 is just a change of color and detail and Some character talent restrictions are lifted.

from But I.. to So I think just guess!
I think there should be 90% right possibilities.

I likely said it before several times, but can only stress it time and time again: if the devs can and want to implement a strong modding support or foundation, they should do so.

Good and extensive modding will attract and bind more players and bring more praise to the game on an abstract level. That is why people play very mod friendly games like in the GTA, Elder Scrolls or recent Fallout series even after many many many years.

The best thing about it is the customization. It allows to incorporate players what the devs could not or did not. It allows the community to make content on its own.

Might silly or unrealistic (as in boosting you, like a cheat mode) or perhaps explicit ones exist with strong modding? Probably!

But the kicker is this: no one's forcing you to mod. It's like running through the supermarket with a cart. You might not like all products in the shelves you pass.

But you are responsible for what you put in the cart and bring back home.

That is a longer example of the key message: don't like some mods people made? Don't install them.

I think a texture mods are necessary in all games over time. So definitely will need full modding support to become immortal.

Some people actually are against mods? Don't want mods, don't put mods into your game. How hard can it be? Why everyone should go without any mods because YOU don't want to have them?

Hmmm. Partly because there is a fear of resource diffusion and feature creep. Oh and that Witcher 3 had minimal mods or modding tools and it was great and people are justifiably afraid to mess with a previous triumph.

Not unreasonable.

I would not bet on mods being in 2077, at least nothing like people hope.

The fiscal argument doesn't interest CDPR - Witcher 3 was a top 10 selling Steam game for 2018, 3 years later.

They make money from this and money is a goal, but it's not the goal.

After money is the resource allocation and support issue and that's not of much interest to CDPR, historically.

Lastly - or firstly depending where you start - is the longevity argument. Here, again, CDPR has little interest. They make a product, support it and move on to the next project. Keeping a Skyrim-like production/re-release cycle isn't their goal.

Plus, again, Witcher maintains interest anyway.

So although mods would be a lot of fun, I wouldn't expect much from CDPR in this regard. The game they have in mind is their focus, as with Witcher 3.

Hmmm. Partly because there is a fear of resource diffusion and feature creep. Oh and that Witcher 3 had minimal mods or modding tools and it was great and people are justifiably afraid to mess with a previous triumph.

Not unreasonable.

The fiscal argument doesn't interest CDPR - Witcher 3 was a top 10 selling Steam game for 2018, 3 years later.

They make money from this and money is a goal, but it's not the goal.

After money is the resource allocation and support issue and that's not of much interest to CDPR, historically.

Lastly - or firstly depending where you start - is the longevity argument. Here, again, CDPR has little interest. They make a product, support it and move on to the next project. Keeping a Skyrim-like production/re-release cycle isn't their goal.

Plus, again, Witcher maintains interest anyway.

So although mods would be a lot of fun, I wouldn't expect much from CDPR in this regard. The game they have in mind is their focus, as with Witcher 3.

Witcher 3 maintains interest due to mods...without mods it wouldnt be as popular today. Mods from graphics to NG++ make it bigger and better. CDPR laid a really great foundation for modders and it needed little to be changed or added but saying mods didnt contribute to Wicher 3s longevity is wrong.

Without the NG++ mod in Witcher 3 i wouldnt be playing it today. Im solely trying to get to lvl 999 in as many as NG+ stacks as it takes.

If Cyberpunk 2077 has zero mod tools or it cant be modded at all it will not be popular beyond the initial year or 2.

Even Diablo 2 still lives, why? Because of the Median XL mod that overhauled the game significantly. Mods = longevity. And that increases sales and player interest. People ask, "are there mods?" if the answer is no they likely wont bother with it.

Last edited:
If Cyberpunk 2077 has zero mod tools or it cant be modded at all it will not be popular beyond the initial year or 2.

Oh I didn't say or mean that. I've enjoyed W3 mods myself! No, my point is that CDPR had minimal modding support for Witcher 3. It's not a focus for them. Even so, W3 sold and sells well. I don't agree is has much to do with mods - there just aren't that many for Witcher 3 and they don't add a lot. NG++ isn't going to get people buying it in the numbers they have last year. That's all about the quality of the game itself.

No, my point was that Cyberpunk isn't likely to have much more mod support than Witcher 3. Very little, in other words.

Also I would bet that even if Cyberpunk 2077 has zero modding (pretty sure it will have some!) it will be popular beyond year 2. People will buy it for it's excellent setting, story and gameplay for years to come.

Note the sales of W3 on consoles in 2017: https://cdn3.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Witcher3-1024x576.jpg

So no, Witcher 3 doesn't need mods to be great and have great sales. But they are nice, no question!

Last edited:
Another "minor" factor most folks tend to forget is CDPR uses LOTS of licensed software to create its games. In order to have the sort of modding many people envision we'd need access to that software, and there is no way in hell the companies that own that software is going to permit CDPR to give it away for free.

Another "minor" factor most folks tend to forget is CDPR uses LOTS of licensed software to create its games. In order to have the sort of modding many people envision we'd need access to that software, and there is no way in hell the companies that own that software is going to permit CDPR to give it away for free.

They can always add assets we can use. Modders will find a way anyways tho and im not likely to use any. Witcher 3 is one of the few games i bother with mods simply because CDPR didnt add the things i hoped for like stacking NG+.

Hi, Su! You're back!

Yes, I would love to see modding support.
I've several story ideas for quests that would work well in this setting, and, since I don't have the ear of anyone on the dev team that could take an interest, or effect the implementation of these stories into the game at launch, I suspect going the modding route would be my only option to see these stories get told in the game.

It's been a while since I messed with Witcher 3 mods but I can't say I remember it being a great experience. It was pretty obvious that mod support was tacked on last minute and not something planned to be an integral part of the game. Even so, I'll take tacked on support over no support. Games like GTA have great mods despite no support but even installing them is hard – nevermind making them.

Ideally, it'll be supported by a decent mod manager either way and at least installing mods will be easy.

Doesn't confirm anything just her thoughts, but it kinda sucks to hear....
20190223_192027.jpg

Top Bottom