Mods in Cyberpunk 2077?

+

Yes or no to mod-support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While it has nothing to do with modding, this is honestly very good news. We may be getting expansions.
They already strongly insinuated Expansions and DLC in the hidden message during the E3 trailer.

“It’s been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and… went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things — you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves and get to work. We wanted to give you the Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine, we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077’s pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At some point we made the decisions to resume talking about the game when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realize you’ve been impatiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn’t like anyone to feel that we’re taking this for granted. On the contrary — it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too :)

But to the point. Today is the day. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw the trailer. - our vision for Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilized life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don’t let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You’ll be able to create your own character and… well, you’ll get to know the rest of what show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for the previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions,

1. When?
When we told you we would only release the game when it’s ready, we meant it. We’re definitely much closer to a release date than we were back then ;) but it’s still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us. It’s the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big?
Seriously big, but… to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we’ll do this before we start talking about pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM
Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077, will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

4. Microtransactions?
In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you posted we treat it very seriously.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED Team”

While it has nothing to do with modding, this is honestly very good news. We may be getting expansions.
that actually came up when talking about mod support and how she's against it.
But yeah I'd prefer they spend resources on an expansion than a modding kit but it's still it sucks for us that want to be creative with the game and bring custom quests, items ....

that actually came up when talking about mod support and how she's against it.
But yeah I'd prefer they spend resources on an expansion than a modding kit but it's still it sucks for us that want to be creative with the game and bring custom quests, items ....
Can you link me to the conversation? I've never heard a CDPR dev say they're actively against mod support. Unless she means they'd rather focus on DLC than a mod kit.

Can you link me to the conversation? I've never heard a CDPR dev say they're actively against mod support. Unless she means they'd rather focus on DLC than a mod kit.

its on reddits discord, use search function

1550970302941.png

Even if individuals working on the game might be against modding support or spending time and resources to lay the groundwork for a good modding support:

I can only suggest to the company as a whole and the devs to consider this. Especially now if not later because it might be easier to lay the groundwork or consider the time frame etc early rather than (too) late.

Here's the thing from a consumer POV who used mods in other games extensively: Mods are optional. You really have little to lose if the game engine or setup is good enough and if modders know what they do. And you can back up savegames or use new ones for mods. You have a lot more to gain than lose bottom line in my book and it'll allow many players to add or try what could not be added or was ruled out, like kind of joinable factions, or adding new side activities, adding new world spaces.

Yes, DLCs and expansions are paramount. But they can work hand in hand with modding, too, just like many DLCs from certain Bethesda games were picked up by modding in a certain symbiotic relationship of sorts. If you ask me, more people will benefit if modding is considered early on or at all compared to this not being the case.

Strong or solid modding will make the game better for many while remaining optional, with relatively little risk to your playthrough as you can use new saves or back them up respectively.

Some developer see mods like direct insult on them, a real shame since mods can add many good thing to game and prolong game life, Enderal Forgotten Story mod for Skyrim great work totally new game.

It is shame to see one of CDPR developers say it is against it and that is happy that some one lost maybe 80h-100h of gameplay.

Some developer see mods like direct insult on them[...]

That would be a weird stance to have. Because the thing is this: Devs and dev teams cannot cover it all for a game! So let the community help expand or add content.

You'll find eventual resource, time and vision constraints or narrowing elements and you have to release it eventually, so you have to settle on things. And depending on the lore or setting, some might want to apply changes. I say empower the player and let them. Mods remain completely optional and the individual player can decide what to pick. And it won't cost the company (apart from adding the modding support). It's like free content by and for the players. And it raises the "value" and replayability of the game, would occupy and attract more people.

Great base game (with expansions) or not, I think it would be 'their loss' (of sorts) to decide against solid modding support. I simply think it would be a lot of wasted potential given the great cyberpunk setting we'll be able to dip into.

The core sentiment is appreciating the hard work of the developers before immediately painting over it using mods. That's a perfectly valid opinion if someone doesn't care for mods. CDPR folks are welcome to have opinions, too.

Let's not start taking things personally, please.

So let's keep in mind that modding is not on offer for 2077. They haven't said yea or nay, but if it was yes, it would almost certainly be on the features list.

Modding does take developer resources - both in offering the toolkit and supporting the game post-mods. Mods create a lot of extra work for the support teams. Simply saying, "We don't offer support for mods or if your game has been modded" doesn't stop people from trying to get that support. A lot and often.

Mods offer fantastic options for amateur developers and of course so many fun extras for players, it's true and that's great.

That's not a CDPR pillar though - they prefer to focus on core development. We aren't going to talk bizdev or executive into changing this very successful methodology here.

Like many other features (TPP, Linux, joining factions, flying vehicles) people see as preferred - or even necessary - in a game for them, modding is not a CDPR priority for 2077 nor does it appear likely to become one.

In short, hey, have a good time talking about it, but realize we aren't going to change any CDPR minds here. Some games have great and robust mod support, some do not. How it goes.

Like many other features (TPP, Linux, joining factions, flying vehicles) people see as preferred - or even necessary - in a game for them, modding is not a CDPR priority for 2077 nor does it appear likely to become one.

In short, hey, have a good time talking about it, but realize we aren't going to change any CDPR minds here. Some games have great and robust mod support, some do not. How it goes.

It would, however, be nice if we COULD change some minds.
There are, for instance, a number of stories I'd personally like to see, and mod into the game as side quests if not available. Some of these I've put into the Story Line Suggestions thread, and others, elsewhere; all of sundry merit and appeal.
With no mod support, we'll likely still see mods, like with TW3, but, nothing on the scale of writing in new quests, and certainly nothing on the astounding scale of work that went into Enderal.

To changing minds; fingers X'd :) ... but with understanding that changing minds into favor of modding support likely will not happen.

There are, for instance, a number of stories I'd personally like to see, and mod into the game as side quests if not available. Some of these I've put into the Story Line Suggestions thread, and others, elsewhere; all of sundry merit and appeal.

Oh yeah. I run a heavily heavily modded Fallout (FPS versions) and Skyrim set always. Even the excellent New Vegas gets modded up. Same for STALKER. Big fan of mods.

But seeing them, in a real vigourous way, in CDPR games, is super unlikely. And that's okay too, as I love my Witcher and DLC and Expansions. CDPR does great work - not in a hurry to mess with their methods.

I'm slightly concerned that CDPR will change their stance here and disallow mods since we know they're doing R&D for multiplayer. Supporting mods is one thing; saying you can't do it at all is another.

I'm slightly concerned that CDPR will change their stance here and disallow mods since we know they're doing R&D for multiplayer. Supporting mods is one thing; saying you can't do it at all is another.

That also seems super unlikely to me. They have more of a laissez-faire attitude. Do what you can if you want, has been the past approach to modding.

What you're suggesting is forced multiplayer interfering with single-player design. That is absolutely -not- a CDPR plan or design. Single player, stand-alone first. They keep saying it.

Wonderful thread. I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I really would like an SDK kit like the GECK for fallout. I played the original paperback 2020 and it seems from what I have seen that this is what the game is based on. Would love to see a potential in game option for players to create and share not only just assets but entire missions and so zones that get filtered through cd-projekt-red and the ones that are thematically appropriate should get approved to be voted on by the community. Top picks can become DLC.

Wonderful thread. I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I really would like an SDK kit like the GECK for fallout. I played the original paperback 2020 and it seems from what I have seen that this is what the game is based on. Would love to see a potential in game option for players to create and share not only just assets but entire missions and so zones that get filtered through cd-projekt-red and the ones that are thematically appropriate should get approved to be voted on by the community. Top picks can become DLC.

Tapping the spirit and flexibility of pen and paper RPG games, where Game Masters can write their own stories, campaigns, and/or make changes to a pre-written module to suit their player base I think is a good point.
Allowing for strong modding support of Cyberpunk 2077 would honor that spirit of creativity, because there's only so many official quest campaigns, but, tons of lore for players and game masters to pull and compose from within the framework of the rules and setting of the RPG world.

As to gating community generated content, via voting for official status, or requiring some official recognition in some form or another, I'm not a fan of that idea. The current model on modding sites like Nexus where people can search for what's popular, new, etc., and make their own decisions about what they want to add to their own subjective single player experience, it works well enough, and doesn't exclude or discourage folks from pursuing their own flavor of creative expression even when, or if that expression wouldn't merit "official" approval, like, say, when someone replaced all the dragons in Skyrim with Thomas The Tank Engine train.
Gating mod creation with an approval process, however that approval process works, stifles creative expression, even if that expression is silly. Some folks want silly, and even absolute ridiculous things if only for personal humor, or even the youtube/twitch views.

Yes, there are risks with modding. Everyone that's ever done mods knows that. Anyone that's ever prepared and cooked a meal knows they can burn themselves on the stove, or combine the ingredients into a spectacular disaster too. Yet, there's some dishes what can be prepared by a master that aren't to some tastes, and cheap carnival food on a stick that people will eat by the ton.

Tapping the spirit and flexibility of pen and paper RPG games, where Game Masters can write their own stories, campaigns, and/or make changes to a pre-written module to suit their player base I think is a good point.
Allowing for strong modding support of Cyberpunk 2077 would honor that spirit of creativity, because there's only so many official quest campaigns, but, tons of lore for players and game masters to pull and compose from within the framework of the rules and setting of the RPG world.

As to gating community generated content, via voting for official status, or requiring some official recognition in some form or another, I'm not a fan of that idea. The current model on modding sites like Nexus where people can search for what's popular, new, etc., and make their own decisions about what they want to add to their own subjective single player experience, it works well enough, and doesn't exclude or discourage folks from pursuing their own flavor of creative expression even when, or if that expression wouldn't merit "official" approval, like, say, when someone replaced all the dragons in Skyrim with Thomas The Tank Engine train.
Gating mod creation with an approval process, however that approval process works, stifles creative expression, even if that expression is silly. Some folks want silly, and even absolute ridiculous things if only for personal humor, or even the youtube/twitch views.

Yes, there are risks with modding. Everyone that's ever done mods knows that. Anyone that's ever prepared and cooked a meal knows they can burn themselves on the stove, or combine the ingredients into a spectacular disaster too. Yet, there's some dishes what can be prepared by a master that aren't to some tastes, and cheap carnival food on a stick that people will eat by the ton.

Yep I figured my post may have not been well received but I just wanted to give some options for the devs. I'm for all out modding. Scrolling through the nexus seeing the cool mods then the ridiculously crappy mods or hilarious stuff like playing as a teletubby. However if there is a system in place that could reward REALLY talented modders then it might encentivize them to create something that much better. I dunno, just throwing it out there. I agree with you just fishing to see what the devs may or may not like.

Top Bottom