Mods in Cyberpunk 2077?

+

Yes or no to mod-support?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Don't care about mods, never have even when playing the Witcher saga. The Witcher saga never need it. And as far as this game looks won't need it either. If they implemented it, might be more as a favor to the one asking it. If it is a huge demand.

That's really a subjective perception. "YOU" might not feel any specific game title X needs it, but, there's an entire modding community of people, some that are not even really gamers, who are artists, creators, voice actors, that thrive on opportunities to create.

There seems to be an impression that a game "needs" to be modded to be worthy of mod support?
That's pretty ridiculous.
Does your car NEED new supah-fly pimp daddy rims? Sound system? Custom paint? Probably not, but, there's those that absolutely have to do all the things to their cars anyway.
The same applies to any and everything else in your life that gets a personal touch.

Do you have any tattoos? Know anyone that does? Does anyone NEED a tattoo? Probably not. ... yet, that's modding.

Further, again, why vote "no"? It doesn't cost you anything whether or not modding support on any level gets implemented.
If you don't care, then, simply don't use mods. There's condiments on the table, but no one is forcing you to flood your food with all or any of them, BUT, if you take them off the table altogether, because, eh, meh, nobody "needs" mods for this food, then, well, good luck on getting RSVPs on your next dinner party.

Some people like mods, some people are indifferent, some hate them. Some like them in all games, some in select few games, some in none. All of those are perfectly acceptable opinions -- and when it comes to this forum, need to be respected especially when one disagrees with them.

Boiz chill its a new game we dont even know the release date. It's totally normal for people to get excited about modding. I dont know why pepole getting upset in here or why the mods dont supoort the idea at least. Boiz just chill

I have a few mods I use with the The Witcher 3, they're not really necessary, but they make playing the game that much sweeter. I hope there is mod support for CP2077.

Whoa buddy @Marquis_deShade relax.

Is my opinion, it doesn't need it. The fact that the game "needs" to be modded to be "worthy" cliche, is not my point of view, is from those who think modding game is best. Or whatever else.

You don't need to come to over explain the obvious with other topics to come across your point which is obvious the different desire across the players with this game.

The problem is they released a full modkit for TW2 and hardly anyone used it. maybe the message they got from that was 'why bother?'

I'm absolutely pro modding BTW. I refuse to play any of the Witcher games without them.

The problem is they released a full modkit for TW2 and hardly anyone used it. maybe the message they got from that was 'why bother?'

I'm absolutely pro modding BTW. I refuse to play any of the Witcher games without them.

Well, in my mind, it isn't really the type of game that lends itself well to extensive modding. Plus, smaller playerbase, because though it was popular, it was nowhere near as popular as TW3 and Cyberpunk 2077 (will likely be).

I'm quite certain CDPR's logic is more nuanced than "why bother," because they've already seen how passionate the TW3 modding community is, and they don't even have a proper toolkit.

Whoa buddy @Marquis_deShade relax.

Is my opinion, it doesn't need it. The fact that the game "needs" to be modded to be "worthy" cliche, is not my point of view, is from those who think modding game is best. Or whatever else.

You don't need to come to over explain the obvious with other topics to come across your point which is obvious the different desire across the players with this game.

I mean no offense or disrespect. I've never been in an unrelaxed or agitated state in this debate.
I do, however, tend to be wordy, and my wordiness is not intended to provoke offense, or imply agitation.
I quite simply like to be very clear on my position, and there's a LOT that can get lost in text alone. Thus, I get wordy.

Anyway, you neglected to expand on the definition of terminology like "doesn't need". I felt it necessary to explore that definition, and opine my personal thoughts and perceptions on the matter.

No one NEEDS a tattoo, but, people get tattoos anyway.
There's a LOT no one needs, yet, many find such non-essentials necessary for any number of reasons, even no reason at all, and most often that personal desire is quite valid, even, and especially if it's unnecessary.

If it comes down to it, do we even "need" a Cyberpunk game at all? There's plenty dirt, mud, rocks, sticks, bugs and things outside we can make our own games with. No?

These are simply examples to illustrate there's a whole ton of definition and meaning that can get got loaded into vocabulary like "need", and "don't need".
Please pardon my failure to translate your exact meaning without additional expansion.
I took it as a universal implicit decree; You don't need, so, no one else does either.
As such, I felt compelled to RESPECTFULLY disagree.
Disagreement and debate on a subject can be had, yes?

Thus, I respectfully accept that you personally don't "need" modding support in Cyberpunk 2077, and that you personally don't think or feel it "needs" any.
While I accept that as your opinion, and position, I maintain respectful disagreement with that position on grounds of previous debates held in this thread siding in favor of modding support.

My base philosophy is that Inclusivity is greater than Exclusivity. I'm not a vegan, so, i don't need to make vegan food for my backyard bbq here in Texas, but, I have friends that are vegan, and, if I don't want to exclude them, if i want to be Inclusive instead of Exclusive, I'll include some vegan food as well as a broad range of lots of other things I won't eat, and even don't like to ensure that most everyone that comes over is satisfied.
Can it be wasteful? and more expensive? Sure, but, the satisfaction of everyone by including things for their own tastes, despite mine, as well as including the option for them to bring their own thing, beer, food, spices, etc, in my opinion is a little more important than shutting out, excluding, and not offering something, or at least the option for something else, even if it doesn't appeal to me.

:)

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw CDPR said that in-release they weren't be supporting mods but that after, they'll probably add support to mods as they did with the Wticher 3.

I mean no offense or disrespect. I've never been in an unrelaxed or agitated state in this debate.
I do, however, tend to be wordy, and my wordiness is not intended to provoke offense, or imply agitation.
I quite simply like to be very clear on my position, and there's a LOT that can get lost in text alone. Thus, I get wordy. Anyway, you neglected to expand on the definition of terminology like "doesn't need". I felt it necessary to explore that definition, and opine my personal thoughts and perceptions on the matter.

Is okay @Marquis_deShade. I apologize truly, if I came across as someone who though otherwise regarding your post in that manner.

Is true, sadly sometimes one comes to think different regarding how post may seem. But I'll try to explain more further than what is obvious and we might have already experience those who play Withcer's saga. Why it doesn't need it.

Or better yet, games like those doesn't need it.

The caliber of CDPRed games have always been a topnotch, and they have not been in the market that long to compete with companies like Ubisoft or Origins or Bethesda, they are the ones that have more library than CDPRed. With that being said. Is all about that quantity over quality with those companies mentioned, while with CDPRed is all about quality over quantity.

The quality of what seem to have Cpunk2077 is far apart as to what W3 had and their previous successors. Technology wised, the computation that it seems to demand Cpunk2077 game graphics might use as an advantage with the new generation of Cpus and Gpus and the current ones. The world will do feel very colorful and its graphics will look so good, as to what W3 was and still is. A game that has age rather never with time. It has been a technology well used that even its graphics do not need any fix.

If we come to think about it, most features people want with games like these are, no hud. Minimalist as possible. (Features that companies as CDPRed can already add in the core features of the game itself). Sometimes even out of no necessity just to try it out and see how it looks, add a mod that surpass the graphics of the game to add a more 4k pixel into that hair or that tile floor, in the living room jut because.

What makes a mod, a true mod? Is a modification that change a core game feature into another breathing realistic core mechanic a part from what the essential developed system has. For example, is not about "sweet shades", is not about adding a more "uber realistic skin tones", is not about a better sun-ray, is not about a better fauna, is not about adding the obvious boring over used and done modding features that opportunity can offer.

Because once you use the opportunity to implement a 00.01% to an already 100% core feature of the game on top of that 100% feature the game has, you are not adding nothing special, just another 00.01% different looking texture, just another 00.01% different hair texture and hairstyle. And so forth.

One of the good things I have seen in this community and is from the community of Bethesda's modding content creators using this mod tools. Is the breath taking huge undertake of creating worlds. (And what I've mention of what makes a true mod) That is what mods is about truly, that of course, that doesn't mean that adding that 00.01% of shade on the screen to look a bit more wow might have its low purpose, but meh.

That is what I can tell you why no it doesn't need it @Marquis_deShade. But still I see modding as a powerful tool to used it against the saturated 00.01%. And also that is a why to still not wanting this feature for this game, (If I had the ULTIMATE say so) even though I know is a feature that is 100% optional for everybody and that is the beautiful thing. And also, will be a feature that despite will still be worked on because if Witcher 3 had it, also Cpunk2077 needs to have it too!.

This will be my ultimate why no for me. I never need it in W3 I know I will not need it here.
IF ONLY IF that 00.01% becomes a mod that makes the game a 100% with a feature that is so, but so unique, that adds over that 100% you know. But yet again, I've never seen the need to have.

Cheers @Marquis_deShade.

Lol some people, are you're just jealous of PC possibilities, maybe you can't install or don't know how to install a mod so you're just jealous? Or maybe it's like that: ''I can't have it so you shouldn't be able to have it too?!''

Really, you don't wanna mods then don't use them! Simply as that, nobody is forcing you, just play base (still awesome I bet) game and let others who enjoy modding thier games to their liking be. If not for mods I would never play some games, especially Bethesda's but also The Witcher 1. while I love story and characters, gameplay and combat was a total chore without mods, I'm not saying this game will be similar ofc, but what's wrong with having more options?

Last edited:
I think the only real and understandable "obstacle" we have is that the devs would need to create modding support which takes time and resources. And in a way, therefore costs money.

People just not into mods can just ignore them. Simple.

We'll have to wait and see how the official stance about adding (solid) modding support changes once the game has been out a bit. I hope for the best.

Lots of potential.

Mods are fantastic, even if they are just minor changes that most people don't understand the need for. The fact is, those often simple tweaks can mean a great deal to a lot of people.

I love, to the point it doesn't feel like quite the same game without it, the custom cam on W3. I love having the cam closer to Geralt, even in combat where it adds extra tension because you have to remember enemy positions and constantly look out for how they are surrounding you. It's a minor mod but makes a huge difference to me.

Bigger mods can be so well done they even create incentive to go through a game all over again, which has to be a good thing. For me, XCOM 2 is a good example of that.

Finally, there's only so much CDPR can do when trying to cater to everyone's tastes. People often have polls or make posts with requests and many reasonable people reply with things like, 'I don't need it, but if it's just a toggle or isn't a mandatory mechanic then I don't object to it being put in'. That's a fair response, and one I often find myself saying in fact, but it's still more work.....work that can sometimes be done within a couple of weeks or so after release by modders.

I really don't see a downside unless one argues that allowing/adding mod support would require tons of resources and delay the game months.

In fact, I'm baffled why anyone one would say no to this poll tbh. I'm not irritated or angry or saying people are wrong but I fail to see why anyone would say no. I mean, no one truly knows what the exact game mechanics are yet, or the overall feel of the game in all its many areas. How can anyone say they wouldn't like to have the option of mods to even be available, when they don't know the game or even what mods would be on offer?

Last edited:
Mods are fantastic, even if they are just minor changes that most people don't understand the need for. The fact is, those often simple tweaks can mean a great deal to a lot of people.
This is a good point.

I know I like plenty of mods that make small or (really) tiny changes, but those changes make all the difference to me. A truly tiny mesh tweak to guard armour in one game comes to mind as an example of something most probably wouldn't even notice, let alone be annoyed by the vanilla design.

I've been scanning the forums recently and realised some people have a lot of expectations from Cyberpunk 2077 and others have personal fears. I think, instead of putting the pressure on CDPRed, a lot of these expectations and fears can be rectified and met with mods. Don't like FPP? Mod it. Don't like double jumping? Mod it. Want more model aesthetic options? There's a mod for that.

Not to mention, one of the most modded games is, of course, Skyrim. Which was released in late 2011, it is still a very popular game with an extremely invested community. We all know one of the biggest reason the game has survived this long and continues to strive isn't that it was released on every platform available, even on Amazon's Alexa, but because the community keeps the game alive through constantly releasing new, creative and some award-winning mods.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying CDPR isn't up to the task to make a decent game, and they should leave it to the community. What I'm saying is, they can't please everybody, so maybe they should allow the unsatisfied to please themselves.

What are your thoughts? Simple, Yes or No to mods?

The capability to modify the game doesn't necessarily mean to be something good, though it very much depends on the way how it is given.

Skyrim is a bad example of this. You should know that there is a lot of distraction and misleading information in the gaming industry, that publishers, mostly "AAA" publishers, want their customers to believe. You could say some kind of game publishing propaganda. They use disconnected corporate speak and they don't spare anything, even the capability of modifying their games.

Let me tell you this: There is a reason why Skyrim is one of the most modified games around, because if Skyrim wouldn't have the capability to modify it, then nobody would play Skyrim at all. This game is so below average, that it turns out to be basically unplayable without mods. Bethesda even admitted this business model in a recent interview.

Of course some mods are great and they can be a very nice addition - I don't deny that - but this system only works efficiently if the base game in its core features is very well developed already. So the mod can truly be a "nice addition" not "required addition".
If you have to take mods, considered as "patches" for its core features, then the whole game must be so bad that it requires these mods just to be able to enjoy it, doesn't it?
Remember this:
Of course there is a mod that changes the whole inventory menu and such, but still, this is what the base game offers, in a game that cost millions of dollars.
skyrim-real-estate.jpg

I think it is in CDPR's interest (and the players too) to not support such methods, which is why they want to focus on creating an essential game first that doesn't require mods to be able to fully enjoy it - and this is very good!
Yet, they may still offer the option at a later time which is a good thing too, for as long as the base game launches very well developed.

I wanted to elaborate on this topic and on that answer in particular. We have no plans to share at the moment. Obviously, we would love to support the modding community in the future, but for the time being we want to focus on releasing the game first. Hopefully, this clears things up a bit.

That's what I expected to hear, this is a great answer. Thank you Sir!

Modding is tricky imho, it can indicate the direction of your company is going. I think CDPR should be triple A gaming company foremost. Game industry has enough of big publishers too. Modders can drag you into different direction.

Last edited:
I actually get the point to some extend: If you compare Skyrim modded and unmodded, you don't wanna really go back. But I think it's a tricky example or way to compare, it can also distort your individual view on the base game that could be actually okay or decent, but mods then kinda spoil you.

Given what I have seen in the TES and Fallout games I would never go back to vanilla if I could use all the many mods I use but that is natural. Because I picked the mods that subjectively enhance my fun factor and gaming experience or immersion. From little tweaks like little uniform or clothing changes to new landscapes, settlements, weapons, factions, gameplay tweaks, etc.

I don't think the message should be "Instead of having a mediocre game enhanced by modding, scrap modding and focus on a superb game".

It should be "No matter if bad, decent, solid or superb game, (extensive) modding can always subjectively improve it even further".

And now imagine a superb game that adds modding on top to empower the community and consumer with more choices that, beyond creating the solid modding tools and offering some support, won't cost the devs a (big) dime in relation to the content that would be created.

Let's see what time brings us regarding their stance on modding - after release.

I don't think the message should be "Instead of having a mediocre game enhanced by modding, scrap modding and focus on a superb game".

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would think a great core game at release and having mod support are mutually exclusive. CDPR don't strike me as the sort to publish an unpolished game, hoping that modders come to the rescue. Not even close. Besides, W3 had mod support and I didn't see any issues there.

Mods are usually tweaks, enhancements and additions rather than fixes.

It should be "No matter if bad, decent, solid or superb game, (extensive) modding can always subjectively improve it even further".

Exactly.

Top Bottom