Mods that Cheat, Publicly. I mean. C'MON people!!

+
I know this is a single player game, and in general agree that people can mod it all they want. Cool. ... Wanna use a mod that starts you off as uber-powerful? ... Okay, tho I don't see why you even want to play then. <shrug> But do what you want. It's your game and you're only playing by yourself. It affects no one but you.
HOWEVER!!
I've noticed mods popping up on Nexus that just instantly give you Steam achievements. <sigh> ...
I know Steam achievements are pretty much pointless, but it can be fun to try getting them. And to a degree you get "bragging rights" for unlocking them.
So, as such, it's kinda "cheating" to use a mod to insta-unlock such. And it seems these mods unlock the hardest ones in particular.
What's the freakin point?! You didn't earn them. But you're going to claim "bragging rights" as if you did?
IMO such mods should be removed. But perhaps that's just me.
..... I imagine I'm opening quite the can or worms here. But MAAAN!! It's irritating, frankly. :rolleyes: ;)

Long ago I was mentally scarred by a steam achievement :)
and ever since then I have not collected even one If I could help it. I always play my games off line and even use some mods to prevent the achievements when I can.

So I understand that a person can have very intense relationship with these dumb things and thus support your feelings on the mater.

The first achievement I ever tried to get was the "carry the stupid yard Gnome thru the entire half life games and put it in the rocket ship at the end of the game".

It took me months to accomplish that. Running forward put it down, fight. run all the way back thru the map to pick it up again and repeat on and on and ON! Drop it down cliffs or in deep water them retrieve it, get it to balance carefully on the dune buggy and it flies off "somewhere" every time you make a turn WHILE fighting and driving and evading the helicopter...

OMG what a lugubrious pain in the backside chore.

FINNALY I get it to the rocket ship, I call in my roommate to witness this event that I labored and lost sleep over, the rocket launches into space and...

NOTHING HAPPEN,
no achievement. I reloaded a few back saves and yet nothing.

First and last stupid game "trophy" I have ever wasted my time on. :(

Last edited:
I've noticed mods popping up on Nexus that just instantly give you Steam achievements. <sigh> ...

i dont really care about achievement you just need to play the game fully and you get all che achievement even the most difficult, i recently got the achievement "kill three enemies with the hack ignite granade"

I know this is a single player game, and in general agree that people can mod it all they want. Cool. ... Wanna use a mod that starts you off as uber-powerful? ... Okay, tho I don't see why you even want to play then. <shrug> But do what you want. It's your game and you're only playing by yourself. It affects no one but you.
HOWEVER!!
I know Steam achievements are pretty much pointless, but it can be fun to try getting them. And to a degree you get "bragging rights" for unlocking them.
So, as such, it's kinda "cheating" to use a mod to insta-unlock such. And it seems these mods unlock the hardest ones in particular.
What's the freakin point?! You didn't earn them. But you're going to claim "bragging rights" as if you did?
..... I imagine I'm opening quite the can or worms here. But MAAAN!! It's irritating, frankly. :rolleyes: ;)
Wow. very passive/aggressive post.
Does it matter if someone you have never met, will never meet and have no idea where they are from, uses a mod that unlocks achievements?
Whats so great about achievements anyway? To pat yourself on the back? Like you said, bragging rights. What sort of bragging rights? My ePeen is bigger than yours?
Ive been gaming since the 80's, yes im old..shut up, and achievements were never on my radar. They are pointless

Slippery slope subject in a single player game where the only competition is yourself. I would focus on you and what you want to get out of it/accomplish and have fun.

Cheers Chooms.
Tell you what, you play your game how you please and i wont come and moan and you do everyone else the same courtesy.

I'd say that's a win win for everyone

Yeah, got to agree with an amalamation of these two responses...

If more people in this world would just worry about doing themselves and care less about what or how other folks are doing, we would be in a MUCH better place across the board!

Coming soon to YouTube near you!

"100% the game in 6 minutes with mods and learn everything from datamining."

I honestly couldn't give half a shit and some used chewing gum for achievements, but I do think maybe there is an issue when the culture of achievements is tied to some validation for obtaining those hard to reach low percentage ones. When groups of people work together to figure out how to get them etc.

...but even though it seems like a dick move, all I can really think is...

...why would you bother?

the real question is this: would you feel the same "holy jesus i did it!" moment after you already cheated to obtain it?

i agree, achievements are pointless but sometimes challange you todo things you normally wouldnt, my first truly difficult achievemdnt was soloing reach on legendary back on the 360, was the most gruely yet satisfying gaming moment for me, acknowledgement for doing something difficult is whats most rewarding in the era of gaming achievements and generally people atempt the hard ones cause they enjoy the game/challange

p.s some achievements are garbage hard or just there for no reason except "filler content" like multiplayer leaderboard achievements that only 0.1% of the player base would even be able to achieve, but even then most people cheat, having friends on the opposing team to deliberately feeding em kills etc

I once did the big mistake to unlock all steam achievements for fallout 4. Now i do regret it and wished there would be a mod to reset them even if i would have to unlock every single one again by playing. Having only one single game with all achievements unlocked looks really stupid in the steam profile.

HOWEVER!!
You do not open a can of worms, you actually bring up an interesting issue.
While the game is single player, achievements are not single player, achievements are a community feature, and thus they are not about single player.
Modifying achievements is a community cheat and thus a multiplayer cheat and should be treated as such.
After all is said and done though, the damage done by these silly kids is insignificant.
Let them be, if somebody steals a cherry from the grocery store, that should not alter my joy of climbing the cherry tree and pick my own fruit.
If this phenomenon becomes too "popular", then the whole notion of achievements will lose its meaning, and then the content providers will have to react.

Long ago I was mentally scarred by a steam achievement :)
and ever since then I have not collected even one If I could help it. I always play my games off line and even use some mods to prevent the achievements when I can.

So I understand that a person can have very intense relationship with these dumb things and thus support your feelings on the mater.

The first achievement I ever tried to get was the "carry the stupid yard Gnome thru the entire half life games and put it in the rocket ship at the end of the game".

It took me months to accomplish that. Running forward put it down, fight. run all the way back thru the map to pick it up again and repeat on and on and ON! Drop it down cliffs or in deep water them retrieve it, get it to balance carefully on the dune buggy and it flies off "somewhere" every time you make a turn WHILE fighting and driving and evading the helicopter...

OMG what a lugubrious pain in the backside chore.

FINNALY I get it to the rocket ship, I call in my roommate to witness this event that I labored and lost sleep over, the rocket launches into space and...

NOTHING HAPPEN,
no achievement. I reloaded a few back saves and yet nothing.

First and last stupid game "trophy" I have ever wasted my time on. :(
This isn't Twitter but the only word that can describe what you just said is 'Spain without the s'.

HOWEVER!!

Yeah, you are opening a can of worms, but no one said you HAD to open it, much like no one told you to download those mods to unlock all achievements.

So, this is ...what? New?

Please, people have been cheating to get achievements long before Nexus came along. Modding just made it easier.

Have I downloaded a mod to unlock achievements? Sure. For an older game because I had no interest in replaying it several times over to get the achievements.

I recall years ago, there was a game, Batman Arkham Asylum on Xbox. There was an achievement to get all achievements. Well, I am terrible in those fighting trials. It took me two days to finally get the last achievement and get the gold medal achievement. And you know what? I was burnt out and had little desire to play any games for a few days. Honestly, if I had the means to download a mod to unlock, yeah I would have done it.

Look, someone does this for an MMO, OK, I'm going to raise my ire. As for a single player game? Nope. I do not give two shits what a person chooses to do or not to do.

One person can do X easily to get an achievement another can spend weeks trying and not getting any closer. And let us be honest, sometimes games have frustrating and downright idiotic requirements for achievements. Yeah looking at you Assassin's Creed 3.

As for bragging rights, um as far as I have seen no brags anymore about getting achievements. If I took a time machine back to the late 90s early 2000s, yeah, sure. But these days? Yeah, sure if your an eight year old on Fortnight.

Finagling to get achievements has been here long before some folks on these forums were born and will be here long after I am dead. Does not bother me because no one has a gun to my head telling me to download it. I have something called: self control. And I have little concern what other people chose to do on their single player games. I have enough on my plate; caring about what someone chooses to download on their game is as Rogue says, "Riiiiiiight at the bottom."

Yeah, you are opening a can of worms, but no one said you HAD to open it, much like no one told you to download those mods to unlock all achievements.

So, this is ...what? New?

Please, people have been cheating to get achievements long before Nexus came along. Modding just made it easier.

Have I downloaded a mod to unlock achievements? Sure. For an older game because I had no interest in replaying it several times over to get the achievements.

I recall years ago, there was a game, Batman Arkham Asylum on Xbox. There was an achievement to get all achievements. Well, I am terrible in those fighting trials. It took me two days to finally get the last achievement and get the gold medal achievement. And you know what? I was burnt out and had little desire to play any games for a few days. Honestly, if I had the means to download a mod to unlock, yeah I would have done it.

Look, someone does this for an MMO, OK, I'm going to raise my ire. As for a single player game? Nope. I do not give two shits what a person chooses to do or not to do.

One person can do X easily to get an achievement another can spend weeks trying and not getting any closer. And let us be honest, sometimes games have frustrating and downright idiotic requirements for achievements. Yeah looking at you Assassin's Creed 3.

As for bragging rights, um as far as I have seen no brags anymore about getting achievements. If I took a time machine back to the late 90s early 2000s, yeah, sure. But these days? Yeah, sure if your an eight year old on Fortnight.

Finagling to get achievements has been here long before some folks on these forums were born and will be here long after I am dead. Does not bother me because no one has a gun to my head telling me to download it. I have something called: self control. And I have little concern what other people chose to do on their single player games. I have enough on my plate; caring about what someone chooses to download on their game is as Rogue says, "Riiiiiiight at the bottom."

Honest question, not trying to be provocative.

...but why cheat to get those achievements, since you know you didn't really get them? What do you get out of that?

Honest question, not trying to be provocative.

...but why cheat to get those achievements, since you know you didn't really get them? What do you get out of that?

Same question could be asked: What do you get obtaining them normally?

Its not like Steam or Sony or Microsoft throws you a parade.

And its not like you are being paid to get an achievement.

You get it normally.......you unlock and move on.

You get it by a Mod...you unlock and move on.

Its the same destination, just a diffrent road one takes to get there.

Same question could be asked: What do you get obtaining them normally?

Its not like Steam or Sony or Microsoft throws you a parade.

And its not like you are being paid to get an achievement.

You get it normally.......you unlock and move on.

You get it by a Mod...you unlock and move on.

Its the same destination, just a diffrent road one takes to get there.

Ok, so I don't have achievements enabled on GOG, I've never understood the need to do it in the first place.

...but I do compete competitively in sports, and I wouldn't cheat to 'win' or set records, personal or otherwise, or anything.

So I'm just curious as to what you get, by getting that achievement - by not getting it? Is it just a completionist thing? To have all the boxes ticked?

Top Bottom