Monster/Enemy health bars

+
Monster/Enemy health bars

I was just wondering how many people will be playing with the enemy health bars turned on as opposed to off, I am new to the series and although this game looks fantastic the health bar over the heads of enemies seems very distracting to the immersion of this game. I am sure that the health bars would help especially with multiple enemies, but i can not help but think i will be turning those off.

This is my first post and i am very much looking forward to playing the game, and this forum is a great place to pass the time waiting. Thank you to all that participate here and help feed my insatiable appetite for all things Wild Hunt until the 19th.................only 16 more days to go guys.........................seems soooooooooo far away.

I will turn them off in the beginning and only turn them back on if it becomes too much off a nuisance to play without them which I actually fear it will in the long run.

Semi off topic: It could have been cool that we instead of the invasive health bar have had enemies that went through different stages visual to let us "see" what health they had left - eg. moved slower, bleeding more, fleeing and so on.

I will turn them off in the beginning and only turn them back on if it becomes too much off a nuisance to play without them which I actually fear it will in the long run.

Semi off topic: It could have been cool that we instead of the invasive health bar have had enemies that went through different stages visual to let us "see" what health they had left - eg. moved slower, bleeding more, fleeing and so on.

Thanks for the replies people, i definitely think this is a great idea OliverDK and one that would not pull you from the immersion of the game. At least we have the option to turn them off and try to play without the health bars not sure if it will hinder playing the game but i am willing to give it a shot, hopefully you can play this way without to much trouble.

I plan to play with them off. I havent seen anything that would make playing without them too annoying. You lose the red warning flash when they are about to attack, but I prefer to play with that off anyway.

I plan to play with them off. I havent seen anything that would make playing without them too annoying. You lose the red warning flash when they are about to attack, but I prefer to play with that off anyway.

To very honest i would like to play without using the HUD at all is that possible?

To very honest i would like to play without using the HUD at all is that possible?

Its possible, you are free to pick and choose what you want on/off. Im not sure that it will be a good experience though. At the very least you'll probably want to leave on your Healthbar, toxicity, and potions. Those 3 are dynamic and only appear in combat so its not so bad.

I love the fact that there are enemy health bars and damage numbers, it gives you information on your damage and critical hits. This, in my opinion, has a big impact overall to see how big of a difference a new weapon upgrade is.

I hate it when RPG's don't have anything of the sort..how can I know if I'm killing the monster or not and how much damage I do or how effective my weapon is if those options are turned off? The whole "but muhh immersion!" doesn't affect me in that regard.

I love the fact that there are enemy health bars and damage numbers, it gives you information on your damage and critical hits. This, in my opinion, has a big impact overall to see how big of a difference a new weapon upgrade is.

I hate it when RPG's don't have anything of the sort..how can I know if I'm killing the monster or not and how much damage I do or how effective my weapon is if those options are turned off? The whole "but muhh immersion!" doesn't affect me in that regard.

I am not so much against the health bars all together maybe more just the over the head position of them. For me they seem a bit intrusive, its a good thing that you have the option to have them on or off. Darkhollow thank you for your input in this thread and i can see your point, and agree with you to some extent, but given the choice i think i will turn them off and see how it plays out. whether we choose on or off i hope we all enjoy this adventure immensely.

I was just wondering how many people will be playing with the enemy health bars turned on as opposed to off, I am new to the series and although this game looks fantastic the health bar over the heads of enemies seems very distracting to the immersion of this game. I am sure that the health bars would help especially with multiple enemies, but i can not help but think i will be turning those off.

This is my first post and i am very much looking forward to playing the game, and this forum is a great place to pass the time waiting. Thank you to all that participate here and help feed my insatiable appetite for all things Wild Hunt until the 19th.................only 16 more days to go guys.........................seems soooooooooo far away.

Welcome to the forums, and congrats not only for first post, but first thread as well! You couldn't have found a nicer forum. :happy:

To be honest I've been thinking the same thing. It's a neat thing of the devs to have different colour on enemy health bar depending on the monster. Red colour for animals and humans, and silver for monsters. It's perhaps holding the players hand a little, to show which sword to use, but it's done in a very cool way.

To this day I remember the journalist(he certainly was a newbie) who valiantly tried to fight a drowner with steel sword in Witcher 2. Embarrassing, but there you go. Hopefully this feature will help those who aren't sure which sword to use. :happy:

But I digress as usual. I probably will crank up difficulty and play with the HUD the devs intended for us, and gradually turn things off as I go. Health bar will probably go first. If I can handle not knowing how I'm faring in the fights that is. :happy:

Wasn't it mentioned somewhere that you can scale HUD elements? So, theoretically you can make the OHH (overhead healthbars) smaller and less intrusive, right?

I agree. I also think that they made a lot of the HUD too intrusive, and non-immersive / distracting, imo. Simply because they can say "well, you can turn it off". (and at least you can).

Too many developers don't understand how important good customization options really are. I'm glad RED are also gamers themselves, so they hopefully know this ^ - ^

I seriously hope you can turn off those 'timers' for the buffs, etc. Else their gonna drive me bonkers until the REDKit is released and I can mod them out. Like it did with the second game.

Why anyone wants to have timers ticking on their screen is beyond me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom