• Option 2

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Option 3

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Custom Idea (Please post below)

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
Monster Faction Power Discussion

Basically, I feel as if the Faction Power for Monsters could do with a nerf. There are 2 reasons for this, with the first being that having a complete RNG mechanic as the Faction's Power is ridiculous, and the other being that the Geralt + Eredin and maybe even add in Ciri if ya want combo is annoyingly hard/impossible to deal with unless you're playing NR Poor Infantry. A few new ones I had in mind were changing it to one of these -

First - Once per game, at the start of a match you may choose a row. Creatures summoned in that row gain +1 strength until the end of that match.

Second - You start each match with a 4 Strength Unit. (Not much detail, but the basics)

Third - At the start of each round, choose a bronze card from your discard pile and play it with half strength, rounded down.

Custom idea: Keep as is but exclude Gold cards from the RNG roll.

So you want to exclude gold cards but cows, foglets and other similar monsters which make the monster ability useless (foglets) or almost useless (golems in round 2) or even harm you (cows in round 2) should still be part of the roulette? Sounds like a way too big nerf to me,

@topic
I would exclude gold cards but also cards which are supposed to disappear because of a special ability at the end of the round.

Just want to leave my two cents here.

Monsters' deck doesn't need a nerf. People simply need know how to prepare for them.

I play monsters mainly and I do win a fair number of games but only because my opponent doesn't really prepare to counter me, they are too busy working on their same strategy.
I have faced players from all the factions that have been able to neutralize me and make all my cards seem silly just by adjusting to the situation and the opponent.

Remember that Monsters also need to fill their deck up with very low-value and vulnerable cards just to take advantage of some of their perks. If you counter that on time, you are left in a very vulnerable situation.

And yes, a clear sky can save many people's $%^& but nobody wants to have that card in their hand, right?

EDIT:

Let's say that I play Eredin right away and keep it there for a second turn, I got 20 points on a card. Well, what about that Foltest, the leader of Nothern Realms? You can have so many points or plays with just one simple card? I think that one is the most OP of all the default leaders. (No, I don't want it to be nerfed)

Last edited:
The Monster faction ability's biggest problem is the RNG, IMO. I can sort of understand the desire for it to not work with gold units, though I'm indifferent to that.

Why not change it to the following:

"Keep the highest strength non-Gold unit on your side of the battlefield at the end of each round. Strength ties are resolved randomly."

This change accomplishes the following:

1. Eliminates most of the RNG. This benefits both the monster player AND the opponent. It allows the monster player to play the first two rounds in a way that can maximize the ability's benefit while an opponent knows at all times which unit will persist (and can plan accordingly with Scorch, debuffing, etc.).

2. Not preserving any gold units allow the opposing player to respond to the persistent card with their own answers (rather than a gold card being largely immune to non-gold card effects).

Monster deck is fine, but it should not be able to keep gold cards. Since gold cards are immune to pretty much anything, I feel like keeping gold cards on the field after a round is game breaking.

Monsters are not that powerful, a good Dwarf deck is a good counter and a good Skellige deck that is based on revival is a good counter aswell (I don't know if there is any good counter with the Northern Realms).
And Skellige can be anoying in tearms of weather control too and this is kinda op as a good Northern Realms deck.

Everyone is just crying that Monsters are to strong because you build a really good Monster deck just with free (or really cheap) cards, so in my opinion CDPR should cahnge the rarity of some cards an maybe change the effect of Clear Skies so that the affected units keep there buffs wich they had before the weather effect.

Monster isn't even considered to be in the top 3 decks. It's actually viewed as the weakest clan as of right now. Yes their ability is good, but it's also an RNG roll.

Currently every other clan has a higher tier deck than any monster deck.

If they are going to start nerfs and balance changes, then there are several cards that need to be balanced well before anything in Monster.

Maybe if you just started the game it can seem really strong? I personally haven't lost to a monster deck with my current Hawker deck.

Monster deck isn't even that powerful, it just along with Northern Realms ( which shits all over the Monster deck btw, at least for me )is the most easy to do well with early on decks.

There's more nuance with Skellige and Scoiatael early on because they have a lot of buffs but not much straight total of strength, the only issue i have with it is that you can respawn gold cards as part of it's passive ability for the following round.

That should not be allowed and i also think if Silver and Bronze is buffed during a round to say a 20 instead of a 5 it should not come back the next round as a 20 but it's original value.

It's also easy to forget that a lot of us have really beginner level decks, the balance of the game will change substantially once the majority of the community builds better and stronger decks.

Monsters are not that powerful, a good Dwarf deck is a good counter and a good Skellige deck that is based on revival is a good counter aswell (I don't know if there is any good counter with the Northern Realms).
And Skellige can be anoying in tearms of weather control too and this is kinda op as a good Northern Realms deck.

Everyone is just crying that Monsters are to strong because you build a really good Monster deck just with free (or really cheap) cards, so in my opinion CDPR should cahnge the rarity of some cards an maybe change the effect of Clear Skies so that the affected units keep there buffs wich they had before the weather effect.

It's risky to walk along the line of "this deck isn't THAT good, it loses to these other 2 decks." You want to avoid a rock-paper-scissors circulation of 3 overly powerful decks and every other deck is just played "for fun"

If you want examples throughout history that support this being a bad idea, just look at splinter twin/Cawblade/Valakut from Magic the gathering (and how much "fun" that was) and Hearthstone is going through major and continuous growing pains as they try and figure out how to keep only 9 different "classes" balanced.

Right now, CDPR has bitten off a lot... it's going to be a real challenge to attain balance, and Eredin + monster trait is a tad busted. This is not to say there isn't also 10 other cards I can think of right now that are also really busted. Fixing those cards will not be as easy as saying "play this other card" for a similar reason. You force cards as a must include in some number to ensure you draw them in every deck. That limits deck building, homogenizes all decks in to a selection of 18-20 cards not 25. All in all, bad idea.

I see people flooding this forums with complaints about the Monster passive being OP.

Monster is currently the lowest tier on the list. Having decks from all 3 other factions above it.....

I've yet to lose to a monster deck. And honestly, their ability is RNG. I play them all the time and they end up keeping a 2 power monster that dies when the fog clears at the start of the next round lol. So it's like they dont even have a passive half the time.

Even if they get to keep their gold, it doesnt reset it's entrance effects. So they get to keep a 8-12 power monster on the field? Considering I can have My hawker at 24 within 2 turns....I dont see how people think that's OP lol.

I see people flooding this forums with complaints about the Monster passive being OP.

Monster is currently the lowest tier on the list. Having decks from all 3 other factions above it.....

I've yet to lose to a monster deck. And honestly, their ability is RNG. I play them all the time and they end up keeping a 2 power monster that dies when the fog clears at the start of the next round lol. So it's like they dont even have a passive half the time.

Even if they get to keep their gold, it doesnt reset it's entrance effects. So they get to keep a 8-12 power monster on the field? Considering I can have My hawker at 24 within 2 turns....I dont see how people think that's OP lol.

You ARE aware that hawkers are just busted right???

Monsters is nothing compared to Northern Realms. I almost always beat Monsters with Skellige.

However, as I mentioned in KTS. Monsters should NOT be able to passively grab a Gold unit after a round ends.

Those who say that they easily defeat monster decks should be aware that majority of players don't play well. My strongest deck is the monster deck. I've NEVER lost to Scoia'tael and Skellige decks. And lost 3 times out of probably 50 to Northern Realms decks, one was a very bad luck where I've got just a single weather card for a whole game (my deck is stuffed with them), one was my brain fart when I accidentally played a wrong card but still only lost by 1 point, and one was a legit loss to the catapult deck but it was stuffed with lots of awesome unique cards. I can also improve my monster deck by adding several awesome cards I'm salivating to have.

I tried to play many decks and in my personal experience, if not stuffed by super-duper unique cards, Monsters > NR > Scoia'tael = Skellige

It's risky to walk along the line of "this deck isn't THAT good, it loses to these other 2 decks." You want to avoid a rock-paper-scissors circulation of 3 overly powerful decks and every other deck is just played "for fun"

If you want examples throughout history that support this being a bad idea, just look at splinter twin/Cawblade/Valakut from Magic the gathering (and how much "fun" that was) and Hearthstone is going through major and continuous growing pains as they try and figure out how to keep only 9 different "classes" balanced.

Right now, CDPR has bitten off a lot... it's going to be a real challenge to attain balance, and Eredin + monster trait is a tad busted. This is not to say there isn't also 10 other cards I can think of right now that are also really busted. Fixing those cards will not be as easy as saying "play this other card" for a similar reason. You force cards as a must include in some number to ensure you draw them in every deck. That limits deck building, homogenizes all decks in to a selection of 18-20 cards not 25. All in all, bad idea.

Yes you're right with this rock-paper-scissors thing but on the other side you have a metagame in like every TCG/CCG or (potential) eSport game, some strategies will work better than others.
Right now anyone is just struggling with the "Eredin -> (Ciri ->) Pass" opening move and I think it's not that powerful because any faction can counter it or has something that is similiar in terms of power.

Scoia'tael -> Have enough "stays on the board after the round" cards or just mess up the board with neophyte tokens, can reuse special cards
Northern Realms -> Leader effects are really powerful, faction ability is powerful too, nearly untouchable if played correctly
Skellige -> Powerful leaders, powerful faction ability, multiple revival cards, shuffle through the whole deck in no time or (based on strategy) hurt anything and then remove it

There are many powerful strategies right now in the game but it seems that a decent monster deck is the easiest to get because there are many cheap cards with weather immunity and "multi-summon".

I think we need some weekend events where every player get all cards so we can build anything we like and then we will see what needs to be nerfed or buffed.
But right know, except some cards maybe (foglets are OP! CDPR should remove the "comes back from the graveyard" part), it seems pretty balanced, Scoia'tel elves could need a buff imho but maybe I'm just to stupid to play them.

I play Skellige, Scoia'tael and Monsters and I have a good win ratio with all of them, I have to admit that with Monsters I win more often but it's my most expensive deck aswell (10 rare, 7 epic, 2 legendary, 7 common).

Monster deck is fine, but it should not be able to keep gold cards. Since gold cards are immune to pretty much anything, I feel like keeping gold cards on the field after a round is game breaking.

I get your point but it's actually not true. Someone played a gold card on me today which took some of my gold cards down to 1 point. IMO that shouldn't be happening at all. Gold cards shoudn't be reacting to basically anything IMO so I don't know why this is happening. I'm pretty sure Northern realms also has a way to buff gold cards. That is just silly.

Top Bottom